Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Man stands inches from me for an hour talking to passenger in window seat!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I am sitting in an aisle seat flying back from South America on a long tiring international flight. I don't know the person in the middle or window seat.

I was dozing off but was woken by the voice of a loud Spanish speaking man who is suddenly standing inches from me speaking loudly to his friend who is sitting in the window seat. While he speaks he grabs on to the top of my aisle seat. He speaks very loudly and appears to be drunk.

First I thought it would be a conversation for a few minutes but it goes on and on and on and on! I don't speak Spanish and the loud man standing next to me does not speak any English. He continues this loud aggressive conversation with the man at the window seat.

I try to get him to move on. I stare at him, ask him to move on and touch is arm, all designed to tell him he is bothering me. He completely ignores me and continues this loud conversation.

After about a half hour, I go back to the galley and ask the Flight Attendants if they can move the man along. They tell me because the fasten seat belt sign is not on, and the flight attendants are not serving dinner, the man has the right to stand in the aisle inches from me as long as he wants.

He eventually moves on about an hour later. Was I wrong for being bothered and complaining? Should the Flight Attendants have told the man to move on and return to his seat? IF it bothered you how would you handle it if the flight attendants refused to act?

Last edited by librarygal; Dec 19, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
About 5 minutes in, and after asking twice for the person to move on/return to his own seat, I would be using the call button. Repeatedly if necessary.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
About 5 minutes in, and after asking twice for the person to move on/return to his own seat, I would be using the call button. Repeatedly if necessary.
^
Another idea, I might have stood up at my seat, blocking the two guys until the one moves.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hit the call button and say it in front of the offender. Sure, he can stand in the aisle, but that doesn't mean he can disturb other pax.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Agreeing with all. Let the FA handle it.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Depending on several factors (his seat, ability to communicate, amount of carryon), I might offer to trade seats with him so he could continue chatting with his friend without disturbing me. But I'm that guy who is always willing to accommodate as long as I'm not too inconvenienced.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Wow, you guys are quite nice.

Here's my way:
1) I would have asked them if they could have this conversation near the galley or facilities, perhaps mentioning it's easier to get [booze, food, snacks, water, whatever] there.

2) If that didn't work, I'd mention I'm trying to sleep and it's pretty annoying.

3) If that didn't work, I'd get up and check the [overhead bin, seatback pocket, bag tucked under the seat, bathroom occupancy status lights, etc)for a moment then asking the gentleman to move again sit down.

4) If that didn't work, repeat step 3 taking more time before

5) Never needed a step 5
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
casually elbow him [Moderator edit: in a sensitive part of the anatomy].

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 19, 2014 at 9:22 pm Reason: Per FT Rules.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by teevee
casually elbow him...
An auspicious first post! Welcome to FlyerTalk

(EDIT: Hrmph. Mod cranked the hilarity down a few notches. Oh, well . . .)

Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; Dec 20, 2014 at 2:27 am Reason: Conforming edit to quoted post. (*sigh*)
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I'm afraid this is one of those unfair differences between the sexes that shouldn't matter but do. In a similar situation, I would put up with it for a few minutes then stand up (6'5", 280 lbs) and ask the guy politely to move along. If that didn't work, I'd tell him in my quiet but rather intimidating, retired LEO manner. I rarely have to "ask" twice. I suspect the OP wouldn't be able to use my method.

I'd be interested in knowing if this was on a South American or US-flagged carrier. It would seem that a complaint from a female passenger of being made uncomfortable by uninvited close attentions of a somewhat liquored up male who is seated in another part of the plane would get a better response from the FAs. I realize there are cultural differences but nonetheless, the airlines do have some responsibility to the female passengers.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Next time scream loudly: "Ayuda! Estoy siendo abusada/molestado!"
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Drunks .... there's no reasoning with them.

One reason I am glad the North American carriers are charging for that stuff.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Next time scream loudly: "Ayuda! Estoy siendo abusada/molestado!"
Winner for dumbest post of the week. Someone might likely get arrested, and the plane diverted.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Winner for dumbest post of the week. Someone might likely get arrested, and the plane diverted.
The first part is likely intended, the second part unlikely to happen on an intl. longhaul.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
start displaying poor personal habits, burping (hoping you had eaten garlic) followed by loud farting. A good ebola sounding cough may also help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.