Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Man stands inches from me for an hour talking to passenger in window seat!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man stands inches from me for an hour talking to passenger in window seat!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleRedBear
Depending on several factors (his seat, ability to communicate, amount of carryon), I might offer to trade seats with him so he could continue chatting with his friend without disturbing me. But I'm that guy who is always willing to accommodate as long as I'm not too inconvenienced.
That's probably what he was hoping for. She's lucky she didn't find he'd plopped down in her seat when she came back from talking to the FAs. OTOH, they might have felt moved to do something about it if he had.

The tactical newspaper suggestion is a good one, as well as just standing up and blocking him. With the stand-and-block, you can throw in some yawning and stretching for both the appearance of innocence and to block any left/right shifts by the offending party.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
I had that once. For some length of time, although not the full half hour suffered by the OP. The unpleasant proximity, leaning over, handling the back of my seat were also accompanied by the sense of a deterioration in air quality at the level of my face. Thank heavens not the worst, but not helpful.

Thanks to all posters. I'll be implementing some of your suggestions here the next time. I particularly like the posts about using the call button so the FA might have less ease in dismissing it.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR PlatElite, Alaska MVP 75K
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Being in close quarters and subjected to other people's conversations is part of the package when flying economy. Get used to it.
Having a drunk lean on your seat and shout over you is not "part of the package" unless the FAs allow it.

On a US carrier, the FAs have tremendous authority (as their directions take the force of law). They can decide to have an unruly passenger return to their seat if they like.

Just because someone buys a coach ticket doesn't mean they deserve whatever crap the other passengers decide to spew at them.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Seems that the OP has the worst luck when she's traveling...
Are you sure there's traveling going on here?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by weero
Maybe time for some Spanish lessons?
Oh, so I don't understand what, "I'm being molested" means? Yeah, right.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Walter Mitty Tours?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:06 am
Suspended

Walter Mitty Tours?
Indeed. I believe these stink bombs are deliberately planted, then observed from afar.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by fuji8bit2
Having a drunk lean on your seat and shout over you is not "part of the package" unless the FAs allow it.

On a US carrier, the FAs have tremendous authority (as their directions take the force of law). They can decide to have an unruly passenger return to their seat if they like.

Just because someone buys a coach ticket doesn't mean they deserve whatever crap the other passengers decide to spew at them.
Except in this case the FAs did allow it after the OP complained so it is "part of the package." She can file a complaint with the airline but that doesn't help solve the immediate problem.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:05 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Seems that the OP has the worst luck when she's traveling...
Indeed. I believe these stink bombs are deliberately planted, then observed from afar.
As of now, OP has 71 posts, with 38 of them being starting thread posts, mostly complaining of some mildly annoying facets of traveling: Warm cokes in Europe, "losing" wallet in South America, long immigration lines, arriving at a European city at 7AM, opening window shades, BA using old 747s, etc . . .

He/She must have very boring days and/or a quirk sense of humour . . .
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Yelling fire in a crowded movie house is not a prudent decision.
Oh so then the first statement was out of line. That's fine with me too.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
He eventually moves on about an hour later. Was I wrong for being bothered and complaining? Should the Flight Attendants have told the man to move on and return to his seat? IF it bothered you how would you handle it if the flight attendants refused to act?
1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Suck it up, because life's not always catering to my every whim, and somewhere since I was a tantrum-throwing toddler, I've learned to live with the fact that the universe doesn't revolve around me.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:03 am

What about your middle aisle seat mate? They were sandwiched into all that. Did he/she commiserate with you or try to do something? Or was your seat mate a unicorn?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by librarygal
I am sitting in an aisle seat flying back from South America on a long tiring international flight. I don't know the person in the middle or window seat.

I was dozing off but was woken by the voice of a loud Spanish speaking man who is suddenly standing inches from me speaking loudly to his friend who is sitting in the window seat. While he speaks he grabs on to the top of my aisle seat. He speaks very loudly and appears to be drunk.

First I thought it would be a conversation for a few minutes but it goes on and on and on and on! I don't speak Spanish and the loud man standing next to me does not speak any English. He continues this loud aggressive conversation with the man at the window seat.

I try to get him to move on. I stare at him, ask him to move on and touch is arm, all designed to tell him he is bothering me. He completely ignores me and continues this loud conversation.

After about a half hour, I go back to the galley and ask the Flight Attendants if they can move the man along. They tell me because the fasten seat belt sign is not on, and the flight attendants are not serving dinner, the man has the right to stand in the aisle inches from me as long as he wants.

He eventually moves on about an hour later. Was I wrong for being bothered and complaining? Should the Flight Attendants have told the man to move on and return to his seat? IF it bothered you how would you handle it if the flight attendants refused to act?
Why didn't your husband do something or offer to trade seats? (Assuming this is the same S America trip you recently posted about with the husband's lost wallet.)
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Why didn't your husband do something or offer to trade seats?
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
was your seat mate a unicorn?
Note: I don't mean to put words into anyone's mouth!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:43 am

Actually, the Spanish verb "molestar" used earlier in the thread means "to annoy", not what it sounds like in English. I'm imaginingoing someone screaming mid flight : Help! I'm being annoyed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.