Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Man stands inches from me for an hour talking to passenger in window seat!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man stands inches from me for an hour talking to passenger in window seat!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Agreeing with all. Let the FA handle it.
AGAIN... I tried talking to a number of flight attendants and they would not help me and I tried talking to the drunk man who was standing next to me and he acted like I did not exist.

It was on American Airlines on the way to Miami.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by weero
The first part is likely intended, the second part unlikely to happen on an intl. longhaul.
Yelling fire in a crowded movie house is not a prudent decision.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by librarygal
AGAIN... I tried talking to a number of flight attendants and they would not help me and I tried talking to the drunk man who was standing next to me and he acted like I did not exist.

It was on American Airlines on the way to Miami.
I would tell the FAs they need to resolve this immediately and if not you will file an official complaint to the airline with their names on it, and then proceed with the filling.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Seems that the OP has the worst luck when she's traveling...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Was I wrong for being bothered and complaining? Should the Flight Attendants have told the man to move on and return to his seat? IF it bothered you how would you handle it if the flight attendants refused to act?
Being in close quarters and subjected to other people's conversations is part of the package when flying economy. Get used to it. While irritating to have a drunk in the aisle talk over you to a friend in the window seat the man didn't touch you, speak to you or otherwise acknowledge your existence. I don't think you have much of a complaint and it's not surprising the FAs didn't take action against what was a borderline situation at best.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: miles & more , AEGEAN miles&bonus GOLD
Was I wrong for being bothered and complaining? Should the Flight Attendants have told the man to move on and return to his seat? IF it bothered you how would you handle it if the flight attendants refused to act?
I'd say it also depends on the time all this is taking place. Having said that, I'm usually very quiet and respectful of fellow passengers and totally understand your inconvenience. I would ask to be reseated if possible.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Ask the FA for a newspaper. Hold the newspaper up to read it. Hold it up high enough to block line of sight for the jerk in the aisle. Keep moving the paper until he either gives up or grabs the paper. The act of him grabbing the paper will get the FA to stop the situation.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Being in close quarters and subjected to other people's conversations is part of the package when flying economy. Get used to it. While irritating to have a drunk in the aisle talk over you to a friend in the window seat the man didn't touch you, speak to you or otherwise acknowledge your existence. I don't think you have much of a complaint and it's not surprising the FAs didn't take action against what was a borderline situation at best.
you forgot this part:
While he speaks he grabs on to the top of my aisle seat.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AA
food items are prohibited in posts? talk about censorship!

sounds to me like you got stuck with some lazya** fa's. on a recent daytime flight from lhr-mia on ba, i and some newly made friends were talking, laughing and having a good time. not drunk or rowdy or particularly loud for that matter. in fact, at times i couldn't even hear the guys in the row in back of me speaking (we had two rows in PE). we were told to stfu in oh so proper british terms and informed that the the plane was not a pub.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
An auspicious first post! Welcome to FlyerTalk

(EDIT: Hrmph. Mod cranked the hilarity down a few notches. Oh, well . . .)
thanks. been lurking for several years.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Yelling fire in a crowded movie house is not a prudent decision.
Maybe time for some Spanish lessons?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:57 am

I would of hit the call button too. He might of blocked your hand from hitting it. Got into a big argument. Hope you wouldn't of done anything to fight back. Sit there and he gets in trouble... hopefully then.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by weero
The first part is likely intended
Exactly. The objective is to make this guys life hell.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Hitting the call button would have brought the flight attendants on to the scene vs. telling them about it in the galley where they could more easily dismiss you. The other thing the FA's could have done is had the seat belt sign eliminated, asked the offending passenger to return to his seat, and then turned it off again a few minutes later.

SunLover
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I don't think the extended conversation is okay/justified in ANY class of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.