Reload this Page >

Falsely accused and relocated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Falsely accused and relocated

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:44 am

I would tell FA, simply that if this passenger is uncomfortable, it's her problem, not mine, and if she wants she can move, but I'm not going anywhere.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:42 pm
Formerly known as tonivitanza

I might have suggested that the nursing mother change seats with her husband, who is in a window seat offering her more privacy. Then have the husband take the vacated bulkhead seat.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Tsun
I would tell FA, simply that if this passenger is uncomfortable, it's her problem, not mine, and if she wants she can move, but I'm not going anywhere.
That would be a good way of getting arrested as soon as the plane lands. You are required to comply with crewmember instructions, and your seat assignment is not a binding contract.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Was the OP obligated to change seats?

(remember, not all crew instructions must be followed, only those related to safety, smoking, seat belts)

TBH, Id almost always switch seats to put a family together.... not doing so may have bonded others together against the OP. Legroom versus screaming kid? Toss up. ...so then Do unto others.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:48 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I just checked EK's contract of carriage, and interestingly enough, it says:

We will try to meet advance seating requests, but we cannot guarantee that you will be able to sit in any particular seat. We can change your seat for a similar seat at any time, even after you have boarded the aircraft.
Since OP was clearly not given a "similar" seat, it seems like the airline did violate its own contract, and he could pursue some sort of remedy.

I don't know what UAE law has to say about following non-safety related crewmember instructions, but there could be something there too.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:58 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
5 pages and not a single FTer has suggested that when the FA suggested a seat move the response to be: "I will gladly accept an upgrade."

As others have stated, seating is never guaranteed, however when seating has been paid for I think the pax should be firm (but always polite).

I have given up my bulkhead seats for mothers in the past on QF, however only when traveling alone.

I have only had to stand my ground once, on JQ. As a same sex couple we have different surnames and had separate reservations. The airline reseated both of us to accommodate a group of six as they thought we were flying solo. We were on the highest fare which includes row 1 seating and even though the other pax were aboard I explained this to the gate agent. To her credit she understood my argument so boarded and explained to the other pax that they weren't entitled to those seats.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think the thread title needs some clarification. At first I thought it was some international crime caper which resulted in a novel residency arrangement. Phew, what drama!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cbn42
I just checked EK's contract of carriage, and interestingly enough, it says:

Since OP was clearly not given a "similar" seat, it seems like the airline did violate its own contract, and he could pursue some sort of remedy.

I don't know what UAE law has to say about following non-safety related crewmember instructions, but there could be something there too.
I believe by "similar seat" they mean coach, business or first with no distinction for the attributes of the seat (exit row, leg room, aisle, middle or window).
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Just Thinking

Originally Posted by cbn42
You are required to comply with crewmember instructions...
Are you really required to follow all crew member instructions if safety or the orderly operation of the aircraft is not a consideration? What exactly would be considered interfering with a flight crew? In this situation would you actually be arrested for failure to move from your assigned seat?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Very annoying the needs of family or pets takes precedence over paying non-challenging solo flyers. It is a form of discrimination but in our politically correct world - you get bad label for standing up for the simple.

To be honest I would suggest you provide the flight number and date - Don't need to give your name so others on this thread which believe it was discrimination can post and email the airline on your behalf. It will assist in retraining their staff to move the mother and not yourself in such situations.

I've seen a passenger claim sickness on a flight HKG->EWR and moved to lay down in coach and coincentally the entire family also moved to business (even though they added no value to the situation). Not sure if a scam or really sick but found it odd within 45 minutes 5 seats occupied and everyone sleeping with blankets and comfortable for 13+ flight.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:23 am

Seems the service director, or cabin crew incharge on EK should've handled this more diligently, such as offering OP a same, or better seat, as the OP paid for extra legroom ?

If people pay for extra legroom seating and then they are forced out of that seat, airline should be refunding them the costs + extra something....

People always try to sit together (specially families), and this creates a problem on almost every flight.......they just cannot sit separately.

And what a dumbass husband, should've he have made an effort to pre-select seats at the check-in, the gate or while booking tickets ?? Should've told the airline they required seating together due to baby.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by cdn1
Seems the service director, or cabin crew incharge on EK should've handled this more diligently, such as offering OP a same, or better seat, as the OP paid for extra legroom ?
EK does not charge for extra legroom.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
This woman was sneaky and lied to get her way. She might have been sleazy enough to actually accuse the OP of sexual crimes, so it was likely in his best interest to be nowhere near her.

She should have been moved back beside her husband.

The OP was in a no win situation.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:42 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Very annoying the needs of family or pets takes precedence over paying non-challenging solo flyers. It is a form of discrimination but in our politically correct world - you get bad label for standing up for the simple.

To be honest I would suggest you provide the flight number and date - Don't need to give your name so others on this thread which believe it was discrimination can post and email the airline on your behalf. It will assist in retraining their staff to move the mother and not yourself in such situations.

I've seen a passenger claim sickness on a flight HKG->EWR and moved to lay down in coach and coincentally the entire family also moved to business (even though they added no value to the situation). Not sure if a scam or really sick but found it odd within 45 minutes 5 seats occupied and everyone sleeping with blankets and comfortable for 13+ flight.
The airline could have called their bluff: threaten to land when the plane got over the USA and deplane sick passenger [you don't want to spread any diseases]--I wonder how fast the passenger would have recovered?
I was on an AA flt. from JFK to CDG; after boarding (the doors were not yet closed); a woman (flying with her husband and son) feigned illness to get a bulkhead seat (with more leg room). Paramedics were called and they were going to remove her from the plane [per statements made by FA's over intercom]--eventually (delaying the flight by 90 minutes), she was allowed to return accompanied by a round of "boos" from the pax. [She admitted to her "scam".]
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by nrr
The airline could have called their bluff: threaten to land when the plane got over the USA and deplane sick passenger [you don't want to spread any diseases]--I wonder how fast the passenger would have recovered?
I was on an AA flt. from JFK to CDG; after boarding (the doors were not yet closed); a woman (flying with her husband and son) feigned illness to get a bulkhead seat (with more leg room). Paramedics were called and they were going to remove her from the plane [per statements made by FA's over intercom]--eventually (delaying the flight by 90 minutes), she was allowed to return accompanied by a round of "boos" from the pax. [She admitted to her "scam".]
I hope she was billed for the paramedics call-out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.