Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have I factored in enough cushion for delay risk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level

I am planning to travel to either DFW, SFO, LAX, or ORD from AUH on EY in paid (not award) business class in late Feb. I plan to overnight in the arrival city and fly the next day on a separate ticket to SEA or COS and then have several other flights included in this separate ticket on other dates.

Have I allowed for enough cushion should there be a delay with the EY flight?

I could possibly purchase 2 separate tickets (one ticket to SEA or COS and another ticket with my other flights) so that only the first flight would be at risk but do I really have to go that far? Obviously, if the cost is the same it really doesn't matter if I have one ticket or two for the US domestic flights? I'm just concerned about weather in the US that time of year and whether I have factored in enough cushion between the arrival of the the flight from AUH and the first of my domestic flights. I am a seasoned traveler but no longer have status of any measure with US airlines (FO with DL is pretty much nothing). And buying a ticket from AUH to SEA with EY is outrageously expensive, hence the purchase of a separate domestic ticket.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I avoid ORD that time of year due to the weather. Not much you can do if EY can't get you to the US as scheduled, though unless there is another EY flight after that one. Except to try to talk the next domestic carrier into a ticket change that is not too expensive (it is usually not the change fee that gets you, it is the cost of the last minute ticket you may be changing to - if you are flexible, you may be able to find a flight to change to that is not too expensive; UA.com is good about allowing you to search online for such changes).
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
SFO and LAX you should be fine, especially with an overnight. Flights from those two cities to Seattle are so common it's almost like a city bus schedule.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Not sure what else you can do if you're already planning an overnight. Plan two overnights? Perhaps overkill...

I'm with Lost...I'd opt for one of the west coast airports. For weather, for a better place to initiate your Seattle ticket, and as better spots to enjoy in the event you're spending a whole day or day and a half there.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
What time do the EY flights at SFO and LAX arrive? Just doing some out loud thinking... You might just book a refundable hotel at LAX/SFO, then book a flexible o/w on it's own ticket from there to SEA for the next day. If you get in early enough you could cancel the hotel and change the flight to an available same day flight. Typical full fare from LAX or SFO to SEA is about US$350 in coach if that's within your budget. Time enroute SFO-SEA is about 1h30m and LAX-SEA is about 2h15m.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I've always felt that an overnight is plenty of cushion for separate bookings like that. The exception might be if the "overnight" is too close - late evening arrival and very early AM departure for example.

Of course, no guarantees that some unusual circumstance might not cause an extended delay...but the risk seems pretty low that overnight wouldn't be long enough.

As noted above, the choice of airport is a consideration during the winter months.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Arrival times for EY flights from AUH:

SFO 06:30
LAX 13:25
ORD 14:50
DFW 16:50

Flights out of these cities to either SEA or COS would be late morning or early afternoon. Cost is a factor. The domestic routing I choose will mainly be based on overall cost, though schedule is a small factor. SFO is my least desirable choice based on the 02:15 departure time of the EY flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.