Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Buying airline tickets on craigslist

Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Question Buying airline tickets on craigslist

Hi,

I was just wondering about buying an airline ticket off craigslist. I don't really want anybodies option on the matter for starters (Its too good to be true for example), I just want to know what would happen in this circumstance.

So I advertised that I needed two flights to Europe this Christmas and somebody got back to me saying they have airline contacts and can book the flight for us. They dont want us to know the confirmation number or airline until we meet. I asked to meet them at the checkin desk 2 hours before the flight and when our boarding passes are printed, I would hand over $500 for two roundtrip flights.

I was going to confirm his identity by asking for his ID at the airport also. They cant really cancel the flight after the boarding passes have printed can they? They could also book with a stolen credit card, which I was hoping to ask at the desk how the flight was booked, what billing method etc. Is there an easy way to determine if this is genuine? Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If there's fraud, the airline could cancel at any time. You could even be on the plane if they discover it before take off. If the fraud is discovered before your return trip, then you will be stranded.

What this sounds like is an airline employee using his cheap standby flight privileges (otherwise they'd need your full name etc. well in advance). If that's the case, then you are not guaranteed a place in either direction since it's standby, although the employee will be able to make a good assessment of the likelihood of space being available. If there are IRROPS, then you will be SOL. Obviously what the employee is doing this it's strictly against the terms of his/her contract and will be sacked, if discovered.

The fact you don't want an opinion on the matter speaks volumes.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:22 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by lhrsfo

+1
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Since you don't want my opionion I will just grab some popcorn and enjoy the thread.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by s34n
Hi,

I was just wondering about buying an airline ticket off craigslist. I don't really want anybodies option on the matter for starters (Its too good to be true for example), I just want to know what would happen in this circumstance.

So I advertised that I needed two flights to Europe this Christmas and somebody got back to me saying they have airline contacts and can book the flight for us. They dont want us to know the confirmation number or airline until we meet. I asked to meet them at the checkin desk 2 hours before the flight and when our boarding passes are printed, I would hand over $500 for two roundtrip flights.

I was going to confirm his identity by asking for his ID at the airport also. They cant really cancel the flight after the boarding passes have printed can they? They could also book with a stolen credit card, which I was hoping to ask at the desk how the flight was booked, what billing method etc. Is there an easy way to determine if this is genuine? Thanks!
what could possibly go wrong?
writetorich likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happens when the employee learns on the day of travel that it's very unlikely that the OP will be able to get a seat as a nonrev standby? Does the OP mind a substantial probability of not being able to travel for Christmas?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Hi,

Does $500 for two roundtrips to Europe, ~1 week in advance, over the holidays, sound like it's within the range of prices for regular tickets available to the general public (even through consolidators)? If a guy on the street is selling you a Rolex for $20, what would you think about that transaction?

Sure, the seller could cancel the trip even after BPs are printed.

I can't think of any reasonable means to determine how the tickets were purchased by the seller. The airline wouldn't know from looking whether it was a stolen credit card. And even if you went to the counter and asked them, "I'm concerned these tickets that I just paid a stranger $500 in cash may have been bought with a stolen CC, can you check"...how do you imagine that would play out?

Although too late for your needs, hopefully you'll stick around FT and learn about legitimate ways to travel at greatly reduced costs in the future.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
If there's fraud, the airline could cancel at any time. You could even be on the plane if they discover it before take off. If the fraud is discovered before your return trip, then you will be stranded.

What this sounds like is an airline employee using his cheap standby flight privileges (otherwise they'd need your full name etc. well in advance). If that's the case, then you are not guaranteed a place in either direction since it's standby, although the employee will be able to make a good assessment of the likelihood of space being available. If there are IRROPS, then you will be SOL. Obviously what the employee is doing this it's strictly against the terms of his/her contract and will be sacked, if discovered.

^
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:55 am

I was going to confirm his identity by asking for his ID at the airport also.
Would you be able to identify a fake ID if you saw one? If you can identify a local ID, how about one from Nevada or New York? Or some non-photo form of ID, because the guy says he doesn't have a DL because he lives in the city? Or a foreign passport?

Also...what everyone else said upthread.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM

...I also have a bridge for sale if you're interested. cash only.....
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I would not go ahead with this deal if it was me, the risk of fraud is high. Even if I did managed to use the tickets, I would not be comfortable with the idea of who would ultimately be paying for them (someone IS being ripped off on this deal).

If you do decide to go ahead with this deal, you should put the money in an escrow account to be released to the seller once you have come back from Europe.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:25 am

Or as Larson E. Whipsnade said: As my dear old grandfather Litvak said (just before they sprung the trap), he said "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break or smarten up a chump."
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't really want anybodies option on the matter for starters (Its too good to be true for example), I just want to know what would happen in this circumstance.
By definition, this is going be an opinion then.

This is just a bad idea from start to finish. (No, it's not too good to be true.) Either it's stolen credit cards or it's an airline/travel industry insider selling standby tickets. You may find the tickets cancelled under either of these circumstances, and that's if you're lucky. We had a guy come here asking for help getting back to the US from Europe at the end of the summer since there were no flights allowing him and his family on standby. We never learned what happened to him but I'll bet it cost him a lot to get home. His wife probably gave him a huge bollocking as well.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
I'll sell you a hot cup of coffee for $400.
It won't get you any closer to Europe, but you'll save $100 AND you'll have a hot cup of coffee!!

Reminds me of an old Lockhorns cartoon..."If I hadn't run out of money, I could have saved another hundred dollars!"
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Welcome to FT. This is a board for the exchange of information, so if you pose a question, you get the responses. Not really up to you to tell others what you do and do not want.

Anybody selling tickets over Craig's List is 99.9999% a fraud and it is close to that % that after you turn over your money, you will not be boarding your flight (or worse, you will board your flight make it to Europe and be denied boarding on the way back). The former just means that your trip is gone. The latter means that you are stuck and have to purchase one-way tickets home at walk-up prices (which will be 8-10x the price you paid on Craig's List).

To answer your specific question, you could get hauled off the aircraft at any time until it departs. Having a ticker or BP is meaningless. If fraud is uncovered, you won't be flying and you can dream up as many safeguards as you want and bump right into airline security which is in place to prevent fraud.

Air carriers monitor air tickets like hawks. Whether you know someone who works at a carrier or not, the issuance of a ticket for $500 which ought to cost $1,500, pops out of the system as a red flag.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by cl.lurker
...I also have a bridge for sale if you're interested. cash only.....
Agreed. Also, unless I am missing something here, in that the boarding passes are in your name and that of your companion, I have yet to board a flight where the gate agent did not match up the name shown in my passport to my boarding pass.

I agree with the other posters who have suggested that perhaps the sale of the seats is by an an airline employee and that could seriously backfire as per the summer thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.