Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Now That There are No Longer Tariffs, How Can I be Bound by Airline Secret Fare Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now That There are No Longer Tariffs, How Can I be Bound by Airline Secret Fare Rules

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Once upon a time airlines filed tariffs with the government. In theory, these tariffs were open to inspection at any airline ticket office. Because they were filed with the government and you had the right to inspect them, passengers were bound by the terms of those tariffs. These terms were incorporated by reference into every ticket.

Now, the airlines have contracts of carriage that are available on their websites. However, these are general rules, and not specific fare rules.

So, my question - what is the legal basis for passengers being bound by the fare rules that the airlines now have, which as far as I know are internal, not open to public inspection, and not filed with the government. In fact, recently Delta took steps to make it more difficult for members of the general public to find these rules by demanding that Expertflyer remove all Delta information from it's publicly available database.

In short, how can a passenger be bound by a fare rule which is not filed with the government, not open to public inspection, and generally not available to the passenger before the passenger books the ticket?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
They still exist

They still exist. CoC and Tariffs both govern. You may need to get a subscription to ATPCO to get them however.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:39 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The fare rules are usually available on the airline website during booking. It's not always obvious though. And any friendly airport agent can call them up and print them out for you. Finding historical fare rules is a little harder if the fare is no longer published.

On a trial booking on AA.com, it comes up on the second booking screen after you click on 'Fare Rules' and has everything listed there except MPM/routing rules.

You're bound by being a party to a contract, same as just about any other business transaction.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
The fare rules are usually available on the airline website during booking. It's not always obvious though. And any friendly airport agent can call them up and print them out for you. Finding historical fare rules is a little harder if the fare is no longer published.

On a trial booking on AA.com, it comes up on the second booking screen after you click on 'Fare Rules' and has everything listed there except MPM/routing rules.

You're bound by being a party to a contract, same as just about any other business transaction.
When you book a ticket on the DL website, IME it's only possible to see the fare rules about fifty percent of the time. Often clicking on the link brings up a page saying "fare rules not available."

Now you can no longer see the fare calculation details on the ticket receipt, just the total fare and the various government imposed taxes and fees.

Is this really legal or does it violate some DOT regulation?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Or, DOT violation or not, can a passenger be bound by the terms of a contract which incorporates the fare rules when those fare rules are not available to the customer before entering into the contract to travel?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When you book a ticket on the DL website, IME it's only possible to see the fare rules about fifty percent of the time. Often clicking on the link brings up a page saying "fare rules not available."

Now you can no longer see the fare calculation details on the ticket receipt, just the total fare and the various government imposed taxes and fees.

Is this really legal or does it violate some DOT regulation?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:21 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Ask your lawyer.

Seriously, the only way this is going to come up is through some kind of DOT intervention or you becoming a test case in federal court. And even though maybe the full fare rules in their raw form is hard to find- the main issues are very clearly summarized. Nonrefundability, advance purchase, change fees, etc. What's your angle here?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
In short, how can a passenger be bound by a fare rule which is not filed with the government, not open to public inspection, and generally not available to the passenger before the passenger books the ticket?
I'm sure the airline will gladly give you a copy of the fare rules upon request, even before you book your ticket. Just go to the airport or call and ask.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Once upon a time airlines filed tariffs with the government. In theory, these tariffs were open to inspection at any airline ticket office. Because they were filed with the government and you had the right to inspect them, passengers were bound by the terms of those tariffs. These terms were incorporated by reference into every ticket.

Now, the airlines have contracts of carriage that are available on their websites. However, these are general rules, and not specific fare rules.

So, my question - what is the legal basis for passengers being bound by the fare rules that the airlines now have, which as far as I know are internal, not open to public inspection, and not filed with the government. In fact, recently Delta took steps to make it more difficult for members of the general public to find these rules by demanding that Expertflyer remove all Delta information from it's publicly available database.

Since no one else has asked, just what fare rule are you concerned about? Did you get nailed by an airline or are you planning something.

Your reference to Expertflyer and Delta indicates you're looking at Hidden City or Throw Away ticketing or a similar stunt. And those aren't "fare rules". They are "Conditions of Carriage" and are easily viewed on the airline's web sites.

If I guessed wrong, sorry. Tell us what fare rule you're concerned about to get an accurate response.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Before you buy a ticket, there is always a reference to the fare rules you have to agree with before proceeding to actually buy the ticket. Right?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:05 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Before you buy a ticket, there is always a reference to the fare rules you have to agree with before proceeding to actually buy the ticket. Right?
Every now and then, when I book a flight on AA, I "try" to read the fare rules [generally 2 pages of closely fit type--after a few minutes I quit...too complicated to deal with--I agree to the "terms and conditions" and hope for the best.]
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Every now and then, when I book a flight on AA, I "try" to read the fare rules [generally 2 pages of closely fit type--after a few minutes I quit...too complicated to deal with--I agree to the "terms and conditions" and hope for the best.]
I skim the rules for things such as whether the ticket can be changed and how much it will cost and then print them as a pdf so that I can try to decipher them if I really need to. It is simpler than trying to get access to them after you have booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.