Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Furthest out-of-state plate you got on a rental car

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:00 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
I got a Florida registered vehicle when I drove from LAX to SFO earlier this year.

Having heard the stereotypes about Florida drivers I was happy to drive slowly (i.e. the speed limit) in the right hand lane and get used to driving on the wrong side of the road.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
There is also a Florida drive-in. My parents are visiting us in north Florida right now, and Hertz gave them first a car with Georgia plates (returned after an hour because of damage concerns from previous drivers that hadn't been properly noted) and then a second car with Illinois ones.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I've seen an Oregon plate in Prague, Czech Republic but it wasn't a rental.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've had a Florida car at SEA before. I think I've had Florida cars in a bunch of places. I had one from our nearby HLE (Kansas) earlier this year. Also had a Virginia from that HLE.

Had a German car on a Spanish rental once: kind of funny when the in-car GPS starts barking angrily at you in German...took a few moments to find the "sweet English lady" setting.

Also see the occasional classic/antique German or Italian car near my neighborhood that has a European front plate. (State only issues a rear one.) Sometimes a modern plate, suggesting that the owner may have had the car in Europe. Other times an original plate from the era the car was made, suggesting it's more of a novelty thing.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:04 pm

Seen: CA plates here in quebec

Driven: does a uhaul truck with AZ plates count
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Just had an IL-plated small SUV on a rental in AL/GA. It had AWD and an ice scraper was left in the cargo compartment. The tabs expired that month, so the vehicle might have needed to sit for a couple days before the new tabs arrived. Some states have "Fleet Vehicle" tabs with no printed expiration date, which makes things a lot easier.

A location I typically rent from will rent vehicles with plastic license plates which simply read "Tag Applied For." Those typically stay within the state until they get an actual license plate.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Furthest is probably a Spanish registered car in Belgium, but I've also had German registered car in Belgium and a Belgian registered car in Germany.

When you rent with Sixt in Germany, all their cars are registered in Munich. I've picked up many a M-reg in Hamburg, Frankfurt and Berlin.

Last edited by Sheikh Yerbooty; Dec 18, 2014 at 11:02 am
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
Twice picked up an Alaska plated car at DCA in Virginia. Very amusing...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:18 pm

Driven: does a uhaul truck with AZ plates count

They all have "apportioned" plates from AZ, even if the truck has never been there.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:53 pm

Florida plates on a PA rental and Tennessee plates on a HLE rental in Manhattan.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Serbian registered car for a Vienna - Budapest one way rental.
You mean you rent a car in Malaga, Spain which has a French license plate?
I rented a one-way from Amsterdam to Frankfurt and got an upgrade because the had a German registered car they wanted to send back to Germany.
which provider? did you pay through the roof?

A pic of Washington state plates on a Subaru in Portugal. Not sure how they managed to import that...

Last edited by Palal; Dec 18, 2014 at 11:46 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Palal
A pic of Washington state plates on a Subaru in Portugal. Not sure how they managed to import that...
If that was a rental car, the drop charges must have been horrendous.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Palal

The state of Florida gives military transfers a fair amount of slack in getting cars new plates in the States. Since I live near a bunch of military bases, I do see NATO plates (usually issued in Germany) every so often, and once saw a vintage Holden with West Australia plates going down the streets of Ft. Walton Beach, apparently old enough to not need to comply with Can-Am import laws for vehicle emissions and safety.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:57 pm

Last year I rented a car at MCO that had Ontario plates on it. I got it most of the way home as I drove it to IND.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:16 pm
Original Member

Canal Zone in British Columbia, several decades ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.