Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

FT regulars + geocaching?

Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat

Was out with a friend and the dog last night crossing some geocaches off the list, and he got to talking about how he went to a GC meet-up and the interesting dynamic in the room.

Got us talking about this place and how the do's have got to be similarly interesting (I've never been).

Then got us wondering... how much crossover is there in frequent flyer geekdom and geocaching? I figured probably lots.

Curious how many people in this forum play the game within the vast geography they cover on a regular basis...
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I do! I often try to do a few geocaches in the cities I visit.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Relocated from the Air Canada forum for more input as this isn't an Air Canada or Aeroplan specific topic.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
I've done quite a few caches when away from home with the result that my finds are on average 1553km (almost 1000 miles) away from home!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AA
I'm not a terribly frequent flier nor a prolific geocacher, but I do get at least one cache in each new U.S. city and each country. I regret not having started until 2011, though.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I like to go geocaching with my kids. We own two geocaches in Sweden (one requires a watercraft to access). A few years ago, we happened upon the national Geocoinfest at a local museum. By the looks of most of the attendees, I'm surprised they even leave their home let alone go geocaching or travel.

I have a stash of trackables somewhere in my house from that Geocoinfest. Be on the look out for them...eventually.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:38 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Was out with a friend and the dog last night crossing some geocaches off the list, and he got to talking about how he went to a GC meet-up and the interesting dynamic in the room.
Wow! Your dog can talk?! Cool!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Wow! Your dog can talk?! Cool!
Smartest French Bulldog in Canada
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
I do both too, but lately I'm more a frequent flyer than cacher.

I'm wondering if there are any flyer cache like caches with airport stages or in lounges or .....

Any suggestions ?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Artemio
I do both too, but lately I'm more a frequent flyer than cacher.

I'm wondering if there are any flyer cache like caches with airport stages or in lounges or .....

Any suggestions ?
Probably not in the actual airport itself as you can imagine the perceived security issues. Although I've found multiple caches within walking distance of airports, often ones for people wanting to drop off travel bugs to head off overseas.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I started an OMNI thread about it a year or two ago (if you're OMNI enabled). A friend suggested it as a fun activity to do with kids and my now 7 year old nephew got hooked. We haven't done much of it, but we like what we've done and we've found a couple really cool caches.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Glad to see this post... my one attempt at geocaching ended unsuccessfully in the mountains of Colorado when my husband and I realized that our phones had no signal at all. Therefore the app we had to locate the cache was totally worthless..

However, this post makes me want to attempt again. Will try city caches only next time!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
Glad to see this post... my one attempt at geocaching ended unsuccessfully in the mountains of Colorado when my husband and I realized that our phones had no signal at all. Therefore the app we had to locate the cache was totally worthless..

However, this post makes me want to attempt again. Will try city caches only next time!
Or, save the cache in the app for offline use Admittedly, I often forget.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:41 am

There are often benefits to using a real GPS when you are outside of network connectivity plus they tend to be a bit more robust, waterproof and have better battery life when the screen is kept on all the time.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum; United 1MM, 1K
Yes. Geocaching since 2009 and my geo nickname is TravelingGeek. Been lurking on FT since 2008.

Just shy of 2400 finds at the time of this post, including all but 4 US states, and 9 countries. I've found the oldest active cache in 5 states and 3 countries (if you count Guam as a country). I've hidden over 80 caches and have hosted over 30 geocaching events.

Biggest claim to fame while traveling/geocaching is getting a FTF (First to Find) in China.

Artemio there is a virtual cache in ORD near the lower numbered B gates: http://coord.info/GC5165

Some airports have caches close enough to do on long layover... including NRT but I haven't done that one but know someone who has done it on a layover.

When coming home from a long project I sometimes book a 24 hour layover to go geocaching someplace new.

I would love to see more geocaching chatter of FT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.