Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do hotels give AAA bookers mediocre rooms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do hotels give AAA bookers mediocre rooms?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I stay almost exclusively on AAA rates and this has never happened to me.

Now, Priceline rates are a different story.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
At the Cosmo, a wraparound suite is a full suite which "wraps around" the corner of the building, giving continuous balconies and views in two different directions (in my case with view of the Bellagio fountains and also to the east). Two full baths, full kitchen, washer/dryer (the Cosmo was originally intended to be condos).
You mean this one?

Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by TENYKS
Don't know about Priceline... but whenever I get undesirable rooms as a result of buying the room on Hotwire, I get the employee to say it on my phone. I forward the video to Hotwire and always gets $50 in "Hot Dollars"(which I apply to my next Hotwire booking) Sometimes if the hotel front desk wants to stick me in a tiny room(happens most often at 4-star Boston hotels), I immediately call Hotwire customer service and hand the phone to the front desk clerk. Problem solved. Hotwire will sometimes stop dealing with certain hotels(either temporarily or permanently) if enough customers complain.

This doesn't really always work. For example, the last 3 times I used Hotwire, I got Hyatt Place 3 times in two different cities. ($62, $53, $47) All rooms at Hyatt Place hotels are basically the same and there aren't any "undesirable" room.
OK...fair enough.

Question for you though...which customers should get the more undesirable rooms?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by emrdoc
OK...fair enough.

Question for you though...which customers should get the more undesirable rooms?
don't know the answer...

that's like asking who should be unlucky enough to get the middle seats in UA's business classs.(2-4-2)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:36 am

I would be of the opinion that those booking Priceline or similar rates should be given the most undesirable. They have little to no brand loyalty so why would the hotel wish to reward them over a traveler who books through more transparent channels.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Thankfully I've never gotten what I consider a "bad room" when booking AAA or priceline\hotwire.

Worst thing I've ever gotten was a room with 2 full beds instead of a queen. Worked out well since I got to stretch out and enjoy all the covers for a change.

I sleep like a rock so I don't mind being by the ice machine or the elevator.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I usually book the AAA rate since I don't have a corporate rate and AAA is usually less than BAR (though not always ). In rare cases I get a poor room and the front desk refuses to move me to something better because I'm paying a low rate. Basically it's a small number of specific hotels that have adopted this policy. The Palmer House Hilton in Chicago is one.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by emrdoc
I would be of the opinion that those booking Priceline or similar rates should be given the most undesirable. They have little to no brand loyalty so why would the hotel wish to reward them over a traveler who books through more transparent channels.
with a little research, it's quite easy to figure out which hotel you're getting
on Hotwire or Priceline prior to booking.

I know the hotel that I get before making a purchase on Hotwire at least
80% of the time. For Priceline, it's only 60 to 70%, but still acceptable.

Higher on Hotwire because I book a LOT of rooms with them and the
Hotwire Express thing helps because I set a program to read the reviews
first.

Just booked 3 nights at the Hyatt Regency Chicago for first week of
December. With Hotwire, I got $61/night, which is not bad and I
knew that I would get the Hyatt Regency before I purchased it on
Hotwire. (need that specific location because my friend lives within
walking distance of that hotel)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never had an issue with AAA rates. I've used AAA, plus a variety of other promo codes, on all sorts of Hilton and Marriott stays over the years. While those two aren't known as great upgrade programs (in comparison to, say, Hyatt and Starwood for top-tier elites), I can't say I've ever had a bad room at either.

I use Priceline for two scenarios: 2.5* rural hotels and 5* city hotels where I know I'm bidding on something outside my main status brands. (e.g., OMNI, Fairmont, etc.) In the case of the former, I'm willing to do it because I know all rooms are generally equal and there is little to be gained by elite status. In the case of the latter, I'm simply taking the chance that a Priceline guest and a no-status guest will be treated similarly, and the hotel is good enough overall that the room will be acceptable. So far, I haven't had any real issues...in fact, I've occasionally been surprised with unexpectedly decent treatment at some of the more niche high-end brands.

(Star levels in Priceline's terms, which we all recognize are not Forbes' or anyone else's terms.)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

In many cases hotels are not fully booked and no one needs to get the imperfect rooms. When they are full I personally think Priceline/hotwire and last minute bookers who do not have program elite statuses should get those rooms. If you are one of those two it seems much less likely that you care about imperfections and much more likely that a comfortable, clean place to sleep in a desired location will suffice.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:42 am

I currently work in a small hotel/resort. We don't have any type of loyalty program.

We assign rooms based on needs first (such as multiple rooms blocked together) followed by special requests that are made by our guests.

After that, it's based on reservation order. Older reservations get the better rooms (basically high floor to low floor).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.