Reload this Page >

Hotel 'fines' couple £100 for bad review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel 'fines' couple £100 for bad review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:15 pm

I wonder how many people the hotel has hit with these fines. The reviews on Booking.com are mostly very negative as well.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by paul4040
#858 of 894 in Blackpool... Blackpool!!

This place must be a dump.
Beware, you might get hit with a larger fine. !

Then again, not. ^

Originally Posted by mtdd
The Blackpool hotel in question is already being investigated by the Trading Standards authority for this. I would think they are likely to be sanctioned: their T&Cs are almost certainly an example of unfair trade.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How did the hotel figure out who to fine? Were the TripAdvisor reviews done under the guest's real names? (I use a handle on TripAdvisor just like on FlyerTalk.) Or were the details so specific that the hotel figured it out from that?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
I don't know how these folks paid for their room, but I can tell you this, if it would have happened in the USA any of the major credit card companies would accept the dispute and charge it back to the vendor.

Most vendors that take credit cards have to follow VISA, Mastercard, Amex, or whatever policies....a charge like this would get charged back right away.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
That would actually be an interesting challenge. The couple signed an agreement that stated that they would be fined for a negative review. I'm not sure MC/Visa/etc. could unilaterally decide it was unfair and nullify the contract themselves.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I've never used TA

how does the hotel know who posted the bad review?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: United Plat and falling
A story on this was on CNN today:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/19/travel/hotel-review-fine/

No comment from the hotel, but tripadvisor said:

In a statement, TripAdvisor said it deplored the practice of fining its users. "While thankfully such instances are very rare, it is completely against the spirit and policies of our site for any business owner to attempt to bully or intimidate reviewers who have had a negative experience.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Au, IHG Au
The hotel just became famous for being terrible. What a useful policy!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Maybe the hotel has so few guests that it was very obvious who the review posters were? After all, it doesn't sound like the sort of place you'd choose to go to.

Incidentally it's actually #858 out of 868, the remainder don't have any reviews and so could be quite reasonable (they certainly couldn't be much worse)

Here's #868 http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...e_England.html

Last edited by exilencfc; Nov 20, 2014 at 4:14 am Reason: investigation of worse hotels
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by CPRich
That would actually be an interesting challenge. The couple signed an agreement that stated that they would be fined for a negative review. I'm not sure MC/Visa/etc. could unilaterally decide it was unfair and nullify the contract themselves.
Maybe the EFF would be interested. Doubtful that they would be, but if they were that could be seriously problematic for the hotel.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: MUCCI
It would be fair to mention the other side of the TripAdvisor coin: there have been a number of instances where people have blackmailed establishments with the threat of a bad review.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1081...ckmailers.html
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Fortunately I have a home in Woodplumpton, Lancashire PR40AY, so would never need to nor want to stop ina hotel of this nature.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I suspect that the hotel's original terms and conditions would fall foul of the Unfair Contract Terms Act and would be struck down in any court challenge. But I don't think that the credit card companies could have done a chargeback since the contract was clear on its face.

I'm mildly surprised, though, that the hotel didn't tough it out - after all, they are not strangers to bad publicity!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by mtdd
It would be fair to mention the other side of the TripAdvisor coin: there have been a number of instances where people have blackmailed establishments with the threat of a bad review.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1081...ckmailers.html
How do the chefs restrain themselves from offering a free desert laced with laxatives? Or just punching them in the face?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
On my next trip to Blackpool, I will carefully screen my options to make sure I stay in a Top-800 establishment. This hotel sounds like an utter cesspool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.