speaking the country's language

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

speaking the country's language

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by cdn1
English is an international language, it should be enough.

If the 'gate' is in the USA, its enough for agent to be English. No need for additional languages, they can find that in their home country.

how about people make an effort and learn the English language if they wanna live in the USA ? Or can we not say that anymore bcaz its offensive now?
Contrary to the belief many Americans have, not everyone in the world wants to live in the US... If they want to live there then yes, they should learn English (though Spanish would suffice in many areas). If they want to visit on holiday, then no, they shouldn't be expected to learn it.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by emma69
Part of the utility of a language is not necessarily being able to use it directly to be able to communicate, but to be able to draw things like vocabulary from it, like with the creole languages in Africa - knowing French, or Portuguese, or English would enable you to understand, if not speak, several other African languages in part or, at the very least, make it easier to learn more of a language if you are not starting utterly from scratch.

I learnt Latin and Ancient Greek at school, which huge droves of people, even at the time, thought a complete waste of time and we should be learning (insert language de jour here). In actual fact, aside from enabling me to do rather well in Jeopardy categories, it enables you to 'guess' at meanings of words in other languages which have their roots in those languages, as well as find English itself easier (knowing even simple things like the meaning of micro, macro, trans, mono, ante, post, ped enable you to guess at the meaning of words you may not have come across).

I went on a trip to Italy, and it was easy to understand the meaning of 'ieri' if you know that the Latin word 'heri' means yesterday, or reading a menu, pesce (pisces), agnello (agni), and pane (panem) are quite clearly fish, lamb and bread from that common root. Whilst I haven't travelled to Africa, I imagine it would be similar if you know the root of a creole language, to get by a little more easily.

I've found getting by in several European languages fairly easy based on shared roots etc. but find it incredibly hard to pick up a language which doesn't share structure, vocab roots, etc. with ones I already know - Japanese was very hard, apart from a few 'borrowed' words here and there (ko-hee, pan, ka-re, oren-ji).
Good point. While some refer to Latin as a dead language, it really still lives on in Italian, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Provencal, Romanian, Romansch, and other languages. I have never studied Portuguese, for example but have little difficulty reading it because I studied Latin and speak French and Italian. Even non-romance languages such as German and Russian have adopted many words with Latin roots or the words have shared roots from proto-European languages. I didn't mention English here, because the combination of the Roman occupation and the Norman invasion means that Latin has an even stronger influence in English (considering it is a non-romance language).

I never studied Ancient Greek in school so I can't tap into that lexicon as easily, but of course, many Greek-root words in English can be found in other languages as well.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I see people trying to "speak the language" thinking it makes for a better trip. If you actually do speak the language, it works. If you bought a "Speak Klingon in 30 minutes" CD you're just making a fool of yourself. People in tourist areas expect to deal with language issues.

I live about half the time in Thailand and it's hilarious listening to some people who bought the book and listened to the tape.
I disagree. I've worked overseas in non-English speaking countries and making an effort at least to greet in the native language and to break the ice and folks are more willing to help, for me it wasn't too difficult to pick up a few lines of polite conversation in Afrikaans, French, Zulu, Sesotho or wherever else you happen to be . Nobody expects you to learn a language and speak it fluently for a vacation. Certainly when Non-English speaking tourists visit Sydney and greet me with "G'day" or "Hello, how are you" I appreciate the effort and in return make an effort to help.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
I disagree. I've worked overseas in non-English speaking countries and making an effort at least to greet in the native language and to break the ice and folks are more willing to help, for me it wasn't too difficult to pick up a few lines of polite conversation in Afrikaans, French, Zulu, Sesotho or wherever else you happen to be . Nobody expects you to learn a language and speak it fluently for a vacation. Certainly when Non-English speaking tourists visit Sydney and greet me with "G'day" or "Hello, how are you" I appreciate the effort and in return make an effort to help.
Actually you confirmed my post. Work with locals and actually learn the language is good. Necessary if you work there. My point was buying the "Swahili for Dummies" book and massacring the simplest of terms isn't particularly positive.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Living overseas for 8 of the last 10 years, primarily in Taiwan, China and now Japan.

Learning Mandarin Chinese when I was over 30 and now learning Japanese when I am over 40 years old, it has been a struggle but very satisfying.

After saying that, I am now "considered" functionally fluent in Mandarin (reading and writing, speaking and listening) and I am studying for my proficiency exam in Japanese scheduled for next spring.

Learning your host's countries language is a great way to integrate into the community. It doesn't do any harm to your job opportunities either.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by emma69
I learnt Latin and Ancient Greek at school, which huge droves of people, even at the time, thought a complete waste of time and we should be learning (insert language de jour here). In actual fact, aside from enabling me to do rather well in Jeopardy categories, it enables you to 'guess' at meanings of words in other languages which have their roots in those languages, as well as find English itself easier (knowing even simple things like the meaning of micro, macro, trans, mono, ante, post, ped enable you to guess at the meaning of words you may not have come across).
You say that, but would you not have had a very similar experience had you learnt French and Spanish? Then you'd have the benefit of actually being able to speak 2 spoken languages as well!

I had to do Latin in school for 3 years (alongside French and Spanish) and I can't honestly say I remember anything from the Latin lessons!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I lived and worked for around 12 years in sub_Saharan Africa. English and Portuguese were more widely spoken than French. CAR, Congo were the main places French was common.
Yes you are absolutely right. It's only spoken in 2 countries - CAR and Congo. Although "Congo" is actually Republic of Congo and the DRC, so that's 3 countries.
Oh, wait there's also Cote d'Ivoire (and there was a clue in the name, how about that), so that's four.
And now that I think about it, there's also Cameroon.
Oh yeah, and Burkina Faso, Burundi, Benin, Comoros, Gabon, Senegal, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Madagascar, Togo. And then if we stray north into the Sahara and Mahgreb, there's Niger, Mali, Chad, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Djibouti. And apologies to anyone I missed.
So yep, not widely spoken at all.

My understanding is that something in excess of 110 million Africans have a decent command of French, whereas the Lusophone African states contain approximately 50 million Portuguese speakers.

Your personal experience may of course be different.....
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by t325
Delta couldn't find someone in NY who spoke Spanish?
I cannot believe nobody answered this (I know at least some may be thinking it):
African-Americans don't speak another language.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Palal
Mandarin, English and Spanish, Arabic, Benghali, Hindi, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese, German in that order. French is nowhere near the top. It was 100 years ago, but no more :P .
It's an official language in nearly 40 countries...I'm not sure where you get your info.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:21 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I cannot believe nobody answered this (I know at least some may be thinking it):
That's painting with a pretty wide brush don't you think.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
That's quite the generalized, and inaccurate, statement. I think maybe you're saying most American born black people don't speak a 2nd language at home? Students have to take a second language in school and I know many black friends of mine who speak a second language (mostly Spanish) but 1 who speaks 5 languages and acts as a translator.

Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
That's quite the generalized, and inaccurate, statement. I think maybe you're saying most American born black people don't speak a 2nd language at home? Students have to take a second language in school and I know many black friends of mine who speak a second language (mostly Spanish) but 1 who speaks 5 languages and acts as a translator.
Of course, there is also the issue simply of definition. An American-born black person who is Spanish speaking in the home (at least partly) is termed Hispanic, rather than African-American, even though they are in fact, both.

One of the problems we have when we try to divide people into buckets is that we start to forget that there is a range of ethnicity, language, and national origin in any bucket you care to define.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

do you have any evidence? If you go to JFK and find a random worker who appears black vs white, who is more likely to speak another language?
I am pretty sure if you look up statistics I am correct.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
My high-school French teacher was an African-American who spoke impeccable French. He taught me so well that I get compliments in France forty years later. After I graduated, he also took on Spanish classes. I think he spoke German as well.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
do you have any evidence? If you go to JFK and find a random worker who appears black vs white, who is more likely to speak another language?
I am pretty sure if you look up statistics I am correct.
I'm also pretty sure that if you go to JFK and pick a random worker who appears white there's a high likelihood he speaks multiple languages because Spanish is his first language.

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Of course, there is also the issue simply of definition. An American-born black person who is Spanish speaking in the home (at least partly) is termed Hispanic, rather than African-American, even though they are in fact, both.

One of the problems we have when we try to divide people into buckets is that we start to forget that there is a range of ethnicity, language, and national origin in any bucket you care to define.
^ Absolutely. Ask any biologist for the definition of race and they'll tell you it's a fantasy. Who is African-American? An Egyptian?

I spent over a decade in sub-Saharan Africa and 90% of the population spoke at least 3 languages. Many spoke 4 or 5. Tribal language, English, Portuguese, French, Arabic and Russian were the most common.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.