Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who gets the sofabed?

Who gets the sofabed?

Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:38 am

I would have told him I was taking the sofa-bed and
dispensed with the issue immediately.

Yes, it is my room... but I like to be a gracious host
and not have my friends consider me a stinker.

I think your friend just wanted to dispense with what
was obviously the elephant in the room at the time.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:45 am

The first thing that popped into my mind: "Those aren't pillows!!!"

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:44 pm

OP was probably expecting Friend to do say something appropriate back like "since you are paying, I wouldn't think of taking your bed." If Friend had any class he would have not have taken the bed.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by El Cochinito
The first thing that popped into my mind: "Those aren't pillows!!!"

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Lol ^

But seriously - there are only a handful of friends I would share a room with in the first place (and even then only if accommodation was very expensive or limited). If we could only get a king bed, I'd feel comfortable enough to share it with them - not ideal, but there's plenty of room in a king!

In fact, though it has been a few years now, when we were younger and wanting to save money, three of us spent a couple of weeks driving across America - we always stayed in one room with two double beds, and used to cut a deck of cards every night to see who got one to themselves! Can't say I'd choose to do it now I'm a bit older and have a bit more money, but if needs be...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma69
I can think of 9/10 friends who would take the Beetle in a heartbeat, it is a 'fun' car! I am not a particular fan of the Beetle, but I would probably take it for the fact it is a VW, which I far prefer driving, and tends to have a higher base model level than Fords (I've owned both VWs and Ford myself).
Hah! I'd take the Beetle just because I haven't driven one before, and they're sorta quirky and fun.

As for the OP's question - I agree that s/he did it to him/herself. If someone asks your preference, don't read so much into their deep, dark motivations for doing so - they are just asking. Give an honest answer.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:12 pm

What about cultures where if you admire someone's watch, for example, their way is to try to give it to you. Obviously you would be a real jerk to take advantage of someone you know is just being polite. It is a version of that, OP was just being polite asking Friend his bed preference and in this little dance OP is not supposed to take advantage.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Tizzette
What about cultures where if you admire someone's watch, for example, their way is to try to give it to you. Obviously you would be a real jerk to take advantage of someone you know is just being polite. It is a version of that, OP was just being polite asking Friend his bed preference and in this little dance OP is not supposed to take advantage.
that is dishonest! if you didn't mean to allow a choice by the friend without taking any umbrage, you are not being polite, one is being superficial.
This very akin to " nice tie" BS.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:06 pm

Honest people have a sense of what's fair and don't take advantage.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:30 pm

I can see lots of reasons not to give this friend the benefit of a doubt. However, perhaps you know some reasons that he should be? Maybe he has a bad back, for example, and was desperately hoping for a proper bed?

Ultimately, no one can give you the "right" answer. You have to judge what you get from your friendship.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

If he has a bad back I know nothing of it.

In good faith all relevant facts are in my original post. This friend and I are not close but we have known each other, on amicable terms, with regular communication, for 6 years.

The likeliest explanation, I think, is that he forgot that I was "paying" for the room. He may have believed the room was truly free.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by davie355
If he has a bad back I know nothing of it.

In good faith all relevant facts are in my original post. This friend and I are not close but we have known each other, on amicable terms, with regular communication, for 6 years.

The likeliest explanation, I think, is that he forgot that I was "paying" for the room. He may have believed the room was truly free.
In that case, you were just being polite for the sake of being polite and hoping, expecting the friend to say he will take the sofabed ? You had to make your choices known if you wanted the bet. You offered, he accepted, case closed.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by davie355
If that were the case, then why would he ask you what you wanted? He would have just said "let's toss a coin".
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:33 pm

OP, you provided your friend with a free place to stay and yet he was churlish enough not to be satisfied with the sofa and took your bed.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steve4031
You pay you get the bed. End of discussion.
Agreed, Power of the Purse and all. A FT friend of mine crashed in my hotel recently, it had a King bed and a pull out couch. I being me just told him "I paid, I get the bed" and he was cool with it. I think the people who said to be assertive are correct so that's something you can remember going forward.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
All these responses are way, way off...The correct answer is to charge him for half of the room cost, and tell him he would sleep on the sofa bed, lol...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.