Originally Posted by GUWonder
It is more than 7.
ok.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i can only speak for myself, but i have stated that you are interpreting my statements differently from what my intended meaning was

3 SQ
2 9W
1 NZ
1 EK

more would be great, there are reasons there arent
Some of those aren't US-EU.

I would note that Open Skies agreements aren't just about passenger service. Cargo is often part of the picture/driver too.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of those aren't US-EU.

I would note that Open Skies agreements aren't just about passenger service. Cargo is often part of the picture/driver too.
oops.

agree re cargo, clearly major for EK load factor breakeven.
also agree EK is unique case. and they did have some trouble with italian government over MXP flight.
but if they were running into problems elsewhere, pretty sure it would be in news (US airline lobby)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 13, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Old May 13, 2015, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
you changed subject away from transatlantic

am i missing legal aspect? is each route approved? even if so, we are not hearing about proposed routes. are we?
You never restricted it to Transatlantic - you yourself included Jet Airways Trans-Pacific. Then you switched to US-EU despite including Russia and Brazil in the list. In fact you don't make it clear what you're specifically talking about throughout your posts!

Are what routes approved? I really have no idea what you're talking about. Emirates are flying one route and looking at doing other unspecified routes - that is it. Why do you need to make it so complicated to follow?
Old May 13, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other SW and S Asian carriers have had or have Europe-US service. For example, Kuwait Airways is dirt cheap quite often but few seem to want to fly them...Central Eurasian countries have also had or have EU-US service.
interesting, thanks. and that was why i raised 9W originally, because S Asian, not SE/E Asian. even though not ME. good point re Kuwait, had forgotten about those stories. think there was one again pretty recently?

Originally Posted by callum9999
You never restricted it to Transatlantic - you yourself included Jet Airways Trans-Pacific. Then you switched to US-EU despite including Russia and Brazil in the list. In fact you don't make it clear what you're specifically talking about throughout your posts!

Are what routes approved? I really have no idea what you're talking about. Emirates are flying one route and looking at doing other unspecified routes - that is it. Why do you need to make it so complicated to follow?
thanks for correcting my labeling of 3 transatlantics. 5 US in my list - 2 SQ, 1 9W, 1 NZ, 1 EK.

original post (that i quoted in my reply to it) - "Europe-US" >

Originally Posted by wco81
Emirates, makes noise about expanding Europe-US routes:
I'd love it if it happened but if there was a business case for it, they'd be doing it already.
why are there not more transatlantic flights operated by asian airlines?
(if governments preventing it, i would agree would be nice to see changes.)

does seem like government, and lobbying cost, for example >
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...#Fifth_freedom
The negotiations for fifth freedom traffic rights can be lengthy, because in practice the approval of at least three different nations is required.
i included partial timeline of EK launching MXP in my timeline of US complaining about ME airlines.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 14, 2015 at 9:22 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
EY mentions report claiming US airlines benefitted from at least $70 billion (USD) in governmental subsidies since 2000:

http://news.yahoo.com/etihad-says-to...170049021.html

This "report" is in response to the US3's attempt to use a ridiculous "report" (on the ME3) to try to convince the U.S. Government to re-neg on multiple standing international legal agreements allowing for more competition by way of "Open Skies" treaties.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 15, 2015 at 12:30 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
EY mentions report claiming US airlines benefitted from at least $70 billion (USD) in governmental subsidies since 2000:

http://news.yahoo.com/etihad-says-to...170049021.html

This "report" is in response to the US3's attempt to use a ridiculous "report" (on the ME3) to try to convince the U.S. Government to re-neg on multiple standing international legal agreements allowing for more competition by way of "Open Skies" treaties.
Like Anderson lame and will never happen. As a consumer would you fly on a old 763 refurbished or a much newer Airbus or 777 with real service, good food and good sitting
Old May 15, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Like Anderson lame and will never happen. As a consumer would you fly on a old 763 refurbished or a much newer Airbus or 777 with real service, good food and good sitting
Coach food and service are never good, regardless of airline and I'll take a 7-across 767 (or better still, an older 9-across/2-5-2 777-200) over a 10-across 777... the latter having been popularized by EK.
Old May 15, 2015, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I'd take a DL 767 with 2-3-2 seating over 3-4-3 on a EK 777 anytime. I've flown both; I avoid 3-4-3 seating like the plague.
Old May 15, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwoman
I'd take a DL 767 with 2-3-2 seating over 3-4-3 on a EK 777 anytime. I've flown both; I avoid 3-4-3 seating like the plague.
^^^ I've never actually been on a 3-5-3 747 or even been able to confirm that they really existed, but short of one of those 3-4-3 is currently the worst airline seating configuration out there (although if EK gets their proposed 3-5-3 configuration for the A380, that might be even worse.)

When a friend of mine who is a narrow-shouldered/skinny 5'2" says it's too crowded in coach on EK, it's too crowded larger than Peter Dinklage. I've not flown EK, but I've checked out the seats on the AA 77W (luckily only briefly going back from MCE) and they're godawful. The seats on the EK 777s may be marginally more comfortable than the absolutely miserable ones on AA's new 777 configurations, but they can't be much better; the physical space is the physical space.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

last time i flew with someone where it was 3 seats together instead of 2 seats, we bought the 3rd seat. +50% to ensure no neighbor.

would be nice to see more with 2 seats together, for those of us who fly Y.

GUWonder, amusing link. lets hope this stuff does not get that much worse during this US election cycle.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 15, 2015 at 9:36 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nkedel
Coach food and service are never good, regardless of airline and I'll take a 7-across 767 (or better still, an older 9-across/2-5-2 777-200) over a 10-across 777... the latter having been popularized by EK.
Like coach food and service, I find regardless of airline all coach seats suck as well. I would never choose a coach product based on perceived additional comfort. Then again, I would never choose to fly coach intercontinental anyway.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
I would never choose to fly coach intercontinental anyway.
like a lot of FTers. i can understand especially from perspective of being forced to spend the time on plane. but im one of those (weird on FT?) who pays for accommodations rather than J/F. (im not one to keep costs low on everything - who also fly Y or sometimes premium awards.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 15, 2015 at 9:36 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Like coach food and service, I find regardless of airline all coach seats suck as well. I would never choose a coach product based on perceived additional comfort. Then again, I would never choose to fly coach intercontinental anyway.
Many of us have no alternative other than staying home for the majority of our international flying; when I was most actively flying international a few years ago, through judicious use of promotions and intentionally taking longer routings I was generating enough miles to upgrade pretty much every other trip.

These days with upgrades both harder to get and miles+copay being the norm, I find just paying for Premium Economy (on an airline with real Premium Economy, not fake like the US carriers) to be a better deal most of the time, and I can afford to mostly do that rather than regular coach. Sometimes when the price difference is huge, I can't, and on some routes it isn't an option.

That said, there are huge differences for some of us in coach comfort between seats, often as dependent on where on the aircraft and what aircraft type as the airline. While the bar for business class is now higher, in the old recliner-seat days on the US carriers, I'd actually take the best coach seats over the worst in J... and while additional comfort is not my only "top" consideration, it is in a mix of that, plus price, plus schedule, plus mile-earning opportunities mix in a balance where the "top" consideration varies between trips.

If those are all below a bar that qualifies as "they suck" for you, and it's not worth optimizing for "sucks less," well, must be nice to never have to fly coach internationally.

As for food and service, I can eat on the ground or bring my own food on board, generally to a much better standard (to my taste, at least) than anyone's J meals, and as for service, on long haul I sleep. Unless the seat sucks so much that I can't.

Last edited by nkedel; May 15, 2015 at 9:34 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
there are huge differences for some of us in coach comfort between seats

If those are all below a bar that qualifies as "they suck" for you, and it's not worth optimizing for "sucks less," well, must be nice to never have to fly coach internationally.
agreed. (although some do travel less, including me for different reason.) and on top of that, those flying J/F probably are happy to have airline increase Y occupancy if it means good J/F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.