"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
People here are talking a lot about QR, but hell, what do you expect ? You are in a "muslim" country ruled by an absolute monarch, moreover overtly supporting Daesh... So don't be surprised if women have no rights, non-muslims have no rights, and non-qataris have no rights (even though true Islam religion is not at all all of these).
Foreign candidates probably have no knowledge (in this over-connected world ?!?), or have no choice but unemployment in their home countries. Sorry for this generalization, but, working knowingfully under those conditions must be driven by despair ...

There are indeed many examples of people not being able to quit Qatar without being ripped off by their sponsors or their employers, or without signing a full waiver.
So not flying QR makes sense to me.

But, if OP cares about employer's abuse, he should not focus only on so-called "arab" carriers. For example, it also makes sense not flying FR, whose multi-millionaire CEO publicly doesn't care a dime about employees AND customers.
I don't want a cent of my money to go into this guy's pocket.
It's all the more scandalous that we are talking about an european company, and not about an exotic airline with a different set of moral values.

This said, EK is not QR, and UAE is not Qatar. Absolutely obvious when you visit those two countries.
When I speak with EK FA's, I sense no big dis-satisfaction. Job is harder than US-EU legacy carriers, and turnover ratio is high but we cannot speak of labor abuse.

If you really care about labor abuse, don't buy Ipad/IPhone
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Why because other brands of electronics are made under better working conditions?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wco81
Why because other brands of electronics are made under better working conditions?
Yes.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

And how many of those Vertu devices do you have?

They may have final assembly in England but where are the electronics components made?

You know like all the Japanesee brands of cars assembled in the US but most of the components are made in Japan and assembled?

In any event, Vertu probably doesn't even represent 1% of sales.

If the working conditions at plants where Samsung or Motorola devices are made are a lot better, we'd certainly hear about it.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by ioto1902
People here are talking a lot about QR, but hell, what do you expect ? You are in a "muslim" country ruled by an absolute monarch, moreover overtly supporting Daesh... So don't be surprised if women have no rights, non-muslims have no rights, and non-qataris have no rights (even though true Islam religion is not at all all of these).
Foreign candidates probably have no knowledge (in this over-connected world ?!?), or have no choice but unemployment in their home countries. Sorry for this generalization, but, working knowingfully under those conditions must be driven by despair ...

There are indeed many examples of people not being able to quit Qatar without being ripped off by their sponsors or their employers, or without signing a full waiver.
So not flying QR makes sense to me.

But, if OP cares about employer's abuse, he should not focus only on so-called "arab" carriers. For example, it also makes sense not flying FR, whose multi-millionaire CEO publicly doesn't care a dime about employees AND customers.
I don't want a cent of my money to go into this guy's pocket.
It's all the more scandalous that we are talking about an european company, and not about an exotic airline with a different set of moral values.

This said, EK is not QR, and UAE is not Qatar. Absolutely obvious when you visit those two countries.
When I speak with EK FA's, I sense no big dis-satisfaction. Job is harder than US-EU legacy carriers, and turnover ratio is high but we cannot speak of labor abuse.

If you really care about labor abuse, don't buy Ipad/IPhone

EXACTLY
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Another Middle Seat Column on these airlines:

Persian Gulf airlines are shaking up the airline industry and its customers by offering high-quality service, often at lower prices than competitors. They are doing it in part by attracting employees from all corners of the globe, many of them from impoverished, low-wage areas. The workers live under close supervision in company housing in the United Arab Emirates or Qatar, work long hours and abide by contract terms that other parts of the world find objectionable. All three Gulf airlines—Etihad, Qatar and Emirates—may fire women if they become pregnant.

“We offer a tremendous opportunity, and if people don’t like it, they don’t have to give notice if they want to leave us,” Ms. Tiedt says.

Training employees to react as a team in an emergency is one of the great challenges of the globalized airline industry. The Persian Gulf airlines operate in English, but it’s the second language for almost all their workers. New hires typically must live with someone from another country to avoid segregating into cliques or lapsing into native language instead of honing English skills.
Emirates, the largest of the Gulf carriers and now the fourth-largest airline in the world by passenger traffic, says it receives about 400,000 applications a year for jobs across the company. The airline’s employees span 143 nationalities. Most new hires are in their mid-20s. Many have had a prior job in hotels, restaurants or even other airlines and understand basic principles of customer service.
Qatar’s salaries for cabin crew start at $24,000 a year tax-free, fairly close to the norm in the U.S. and Europe. Captains start at a very competitive $200,000 a year and first officers at $130,000 a year.

Emirates defends its work rules by noting that 11,000 of its 53,000 employees have been with the company for 10 years or more. Even though many pilots laid off at U.S. and European airlines in the last recession found work with the fast-growing Gulf carriers, there hasn’t been a mass exodus of pilots when hiring resumed in the U.S. and Europe, Mr. Daly says.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/persi...atestHeadlines
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Sounds like the legacies don't like having the tables turned on them. They merge with each other and reduce competition in the name of survival and convince their regulators it's A-OK. Then competition shows up and they cry foul.

Perhaps government subsidization is part of the reason these carriers can offer such great products. To that I say, great! I'd rather the government spend my money on making our transportation system top notch instead of the laughing stock of the developed world.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by BigOrangeTerp
Sounds like the legacies don't like having the tables turned on them. They merge with each other and reduce competition in the name of survival and convince their regulators it's A-OK. Then competition shows up and they cry foul.

Perhaps government subsidization is part of the reason these carriers can offer such great products. To that I say, great! I'd rather the government spend my money on making our transportation system top notch instead of the laughing stock of the developed world.
Having just taken a Emirates FC LAX to Johannesburg I can attest to it. far superior to any US Carrier could hope to be. And the planes were clean !! Friendly faces and really good food
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81
South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan all have better working conditions than in the PRC.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The Korean and Japanese companies also manufacture in China.

Or even cheaper countries like Vietnam.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:37 pm
Formerly known as HuwRLewis

Programs: DL-DM (Charter); DL-MM; Hilton: Diamond
I say the more competition for international flights the better.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by CrazyCelt
^^^^^^

when I fly international it's not on US carrier metal as I prefer clean airplanes reasonably comfortable seating, eatable food and at least a FA that actually smiles !!!

One can not believe that UA is International Airline of the year, how much did that one cost!!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Originally Posted by edgewood49
^^^^^^

when I fly international it's not on US carrier metal as I prefer clean airplanes reasonably comfortable seating, eatable food and at least a FA that actually smiles !!!

One can not believe that UA is International Airline of the year, how much did that one cost!!
It's amazing how much better TATL Y in VS and AF are compared to my trips on AA to South America. Despite being coach they still somehow feel more comfortable than AA Y, and the service is much better. Free drinks for crying out loud, and planes that weren't made by the Wright brothers.

I wish it was easier to redeem AA miles for LAN flights. They've got 787s from MIA to SCL now. Meanwhile AA are still flying the 767s.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by BigOrangeTerp
It's amazing how much better TATL Y in VS and AF are compared to my trips on AA to South America. Despite being coach they still somehow feel more comfortable than AA Y, and the service is much better. Free drinks for crying out loud, and planes that weren't made by the Wright brothers.

I wish it was easier to redeem AA miles for LAN flights. They've got 787s from MIA to SCL now. Meanwhile AA are still flying the 767s.
Agree so let's see an old smelly 57/67 or a newer 787 ? And Smiling FA's !!! Novel thought
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:38 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by CrazyCelt
I agree, with the caveat that competition has to be on a level playing field. If it isn't, then more competition isn't necessarily better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.