Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Mini-moon ideas?

Mini-moon ideas?

Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Mini-moon ideas?

Hi All - I'm looking for a few pointers/bit of guidance from you knowledgable folk

We're getting married on 24th May and are looking at having a short break (known as a mini-moon), right after before our main honeymoon to Canada in the summer.

- It's a max of 5-6 nights as my OH is a school teacher.
- We don't want to go long-haul.
- Budget (flight + accom) is ideally about 800-1,000 for 2 people.
- European cities we've been to are: Dublin, Rome, Stockholm, Tallinn, Berlin. Quite happy to stay in the UK too.
- We're (very) late 20's and neither of us are huge "romantics"

If there are any destinations you can recommend that'd be brilliant!

Cheers in advance
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I would consider going to York or Edinburgh.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI
According to the Videos I'm currently bombarded with on YouTube the most romantic thing you can do at the minute is to go to a Mouse-themed amusement park near Paris.
However I would consider Budapest as well. Beautiful city and not too expensive
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Budapest and despite you not being romantic, Venice.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:52 am

Congrats

Agree York is very nice.

Genoa is nice and then go to one of the towns in Liguria.

Do you want to do a city break or beach or?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Istanbul, Touramino(Sicily), Algarve (Portugal), Barcelona
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would say that venice will probably be a little overpriced, and 5-6 days is too long so you might want to consider combining it with another city. Perhaps Florence?

Given the choice I would pick istanbul without hesitation. It is a wonderful city, and 5-6 days is perfect to explore it. It's not too far (4 hours) but feels like a totally differenr world.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:55 am

Jersey or Gibraltar? Monaco?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Cinque Terre. Maybe 3 nights there plus 1-2 in Florence. Lots of B&B/boutique options at varying price points: we booked a nice spot in Vernazza for under 100 euros/nt during the summer. Three full days is probably enough to explore the area. I believe it's fairly easy to do from Florence without a rental car, which is a bonus. (The towns themselves are connected by train - it's actually an advantage to be without car.)
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Vienna would be on my list. And I know you said you wouldn't want to go longhaul, but with other suggestions like Istanbul, what about heading west to Newfoundland?

You mentioned Canada for your honeymoon - Canada's huge. If you are doing the cities, then the parks and reserves near St. John's in Newfoundland might be a perfect alternative. By late May it will be very nice there, and if you two are outdoorsy people, it would be a great spot. Spectacular camping which would keep accommodation costs down. Don't know if you both are into that sort of thing.

5:30 flight time, nonstop from LHR on AC.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Oslo is beautiful in late spring, long bright evenings, great romantic walking city, and only a couple of hours away. With an air / hotel package you could swing it as long as you're not big session drinkers.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Mini-moon ideas?

What has this to do with BA Executive Club?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: Too many
Mini-moon ideas?

Nice is fantastic. A night in Monte Carlo, St Tropez, Cannes etc and also cross over to Ventimiglia in Italy on a Friday for a brilliant market on the beach. Prices are good that time of year for that area.

Greek Islands also very cheap in May especially Crete and Mykonos.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC gold (silver most of the time), ex-bmi (RIP) ex-silver, and a fistful of Amexes
OT and OK

Originally Posted by dubbin
What has this to do with BA Executive Club?
Experienced travellers, all-- sharing wisdom with those less travelled. This board usually has a high tolerance for OT, and this less OT than some.

And +1 for Vienna, though if Mrs. Rat and I were re-mooning (if that's the term) on similar constraints, we'd likely fly into Lisbon and out of Porto, or something similar.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Cinque Terre. Maybe 3 nights there plus 1-2 in Florence. Lots of B&B/boutique options at varying price points: we booked a nice spot in Vernazza for under 100 euros/nt during the summer. Three full days is probably enough to explore the area. I believe it's fairly easy to do from Florence without a rental car, which is a bonus. (The towns themselves are connected by train - it's actually an advantage to be without car.)
+1 for Cinque Terre

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.