Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Frequent Flier Award Redemption Pet Peeves? The 2014 Edition

Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
The 2014 Frequent Flyer Award Redemption Pet Peeves Poll is now underway.

This poll focuses on which aspects of the award redemption process bother the frequent flyer the most.

Please take the poll here and join the discussion in this thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Frequent Flier Award Redemption Pet Peeves? The 2014 Edition

Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:24 am

Thumbs down No Business Class AA Anytime Awards 330 Days Out

I called exactly 330 days out for a trip to Europe and there is not one business award anytime award to Europe from North America. Why even have these awards if there are no seats available this far out. This is shameful.:
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Award flights which cover only one segment is one disappointment within this subject. Once upon a time, when one booked a flight that required 2 or more segments, the entire NPR was covered (and without all these extra fees)

It is my opinion that airlines would like to phase out award flights altogether and are working on the aggravation factor to do it.

Award programs were once used to instill customer loyalty and there were good levels of competition among those airlines. Now the airlines do not care about loyalty and they certainly are not loyal to their customer base.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
when miles points or cash back fail to post as promised or in the case of cards like the WF, or AMEX BLUE, get taken away at the last minute and you gotta fight to get em back.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Without a doubt: fuel surcharges.... They make BA redemptions on OneWorld next to worthless. Grrrrrrrr!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfbloom
Without a doubt: fuel surcharges.... They make BA redemptions on OneWorld next to worthless. Grrrrrrrr!
Not so in business or first.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, AA Gold, Star Alliance Silver, HHilton VIP, Priority Pass,
Not so in business or first.

Both classes are sooooo.. expensive for revenue tickets, that Avios/FC tickets seem a steal in W/J/F - does anyone pay full price?

Availability always an issue with BA (VS too actually)

Changes - sometimes daily.

One BA agent told me they reassess every Monday, so worth keeping a look out.

Also, ask if you have one tickat but need a 2nd - VS good at being kind.

Tip: go for unpopular routes (eg: YUL, PHL, IAH) and fly on from there (US flights are so cheap), or ones where they have many flights, eg. NYC is often available almost up to the date of travel, MIA/ORD are never available (thank Disney for that), but ATL is.

Best deals are:
- pay W and upgrade to J/D, esp very long flights.
- BA AMEX, 2-for-one miles (doing F class A380 LHR-IAD return for taxes only soon).
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
IN NO ORDER[/LIST}
  1. Huge surcharges on BA
  2. No "anytime" awards on partners
  3. Inability to upgrade on partners
  4. Lack of premium inventory even at 11 months out
  5. "anytime" availability is certainly worth a premium but DOUBLE the rate is ridiculous.
  6. Inability to book partners online (except codeshares of course)
  7. I won't even get into the Qantas Super Premium award rates
  8. no lifetime "Exec Platinum" for "MUltiple Year ultra loyal customers nearing (or at) retirement when their flying frequency drops off.

The things i like about our program
    Ability to upgrade from any fare.
    Although not exactly Aadvantage related: the new, everyone gets an aisle, biz class. i do however fear the coming end to International FC.

The best use of miles on AA in my opinion are DFW to Europe, Japan, China in FC.lll
[/LIST]

Last edited by bbkenney; Oct 29, 2014 at 3:22 am
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:47 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Miggles
Poll doesn't work for me. When I click submit, it says there is an error and something about "the question is required."
+1.

I think the survey requires you to rank pet peeves that you may not even have...

Good bye.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
As others have pointed out, the survey is horrible. Only two of the factors listed bother me, and the assumption that the call center staff doesn't know how to do the job is wrong and insulting. I always call for assistance when booking awards tickets because the online tools are horrible. The telephone agents have always been incredible, finding routings and low redemptions on a regular basis, often when I cannot find them when I look online. (I always look online before I call to make sure there isn't something I see that the phone agent does not.) I refuse to complete a survey that presupposes the telephone agents do a poor job.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jgeidl
I can confirm Delta allows on-way awards. I made two separate one-way reservations just last week.
Was it one open-jaw award (which has always been allowed on DL)? Or two separate one-way PNR's for travel in 2015?

I'm just a base level member of DL...the stuff I've read makes it sound like one-way travel only becomes bookable on Jan 1, 2015 and beyond. (Not that it matters much...I don't really need a one-way award right now.)

Overall, it's obviously great news that one-ways are arriving at DL. Be interesting to see how easy it really is to get those "Level 1" award seats in the future.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:00 pm
chp

Programs: BAEC Silver
Have to agree with several of the posters above. The survey is poorly designed and executed. It requires you to rank each and every one of the "peeves". Quite a few of them are complete non-issues for me and forcing me to randomly "rank" them can only skew the results obtained from the survey.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:35 pm

I would like to be able to see on line all possible flight combinations between 2 points that may be booked as awards with a particular program's miles. Today, in some cases not even the home carrier's flight combinations are properly displayed.

Once I book a flight with miles, I would like to be able to select seats immediately on line, without the need to make a phone call to a partner carrier.

I would like it to be easier and less costly to make a change if the transaction can be done on line. So, if a better set of flights becomes available as an award than what I booked, why should I have to pay for that? Reasonable restrictions would be fine. Something more like the Southwest program or most hotel programs.

In general, and perhaps off-topic, I would like to see a display that shows the current cheapest fare to each destination for the entire inventory of offered seats. For example, if today is October 29, 2014, the cheapest available flight SFO-FRA over the next 330 (or maybe 337) days is on (blank) date. I would accept that prices may change at any time.

Last edited by Reindeerflame; Oct 29, 2014 at 3:44 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:07 pm

It's been said multiple times, but airlines touting their partnerships and alliances at every turn, and then refusing to show partners in each other's availability when you know for a fact partner flights would be easier and better to get you where you want to go.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Lack of feeder award space. I'm an AA guy and often have no problem finding international premium cabin SAAver award space on partners out of JFK or ORD. But the connecting legs from here in DCA to those gateways? Might as well just ask to fly there on a unicorn. For JFK it's always a US shuttle flight to LGA and to ORD they want you to take US metal with a connection. Despite the fact that the direct AA/Eagle flights on the exact routes and days I want are almost ALWAYS selling for all of $70-100 per leg, there is usually zero award inventory, even wayyyy out in the future. It's like they're just trying to make it as much of a pain as possible for us.
Really? I just scrolled through the calendar from now until July and there's about 10-15 days in 8 months that doesn't have sAAver availability from DCA to JFK in economy and business.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by htb
I think the survey requires you to rank pet peeves that you may not even have...
Yet another incredibly biased and very poorly designed "poll" by Frequent Business Traveler. Most of their "pet peeves" do not apply to me, yet they want to force me to rank them because these are their pet peeves and they think everyone must share them. Since that's tantamount to asking me to lie, I guess they just don't want me to participate in any of their surveys.

Whoever designs these surveys would flunk any statistics class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.