Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

$2500-$3000 to spend... most interesting, cost-effective travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$2500-$3000 to spend... most interesting, cost-effective travel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: *G
patagonia
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC your price point is around the cost of a RTW fare in coach, although the time is a bit tight for that.

I like the idea of being in Sydney for NYE.
Accommodation in SYD for NYE is rather pricey though.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:21 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I'd suggest Indonesia - Java, Sumatra and Borneo.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Galapagos
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The first thing I think of when someone is considering a trip where miles, hotel points, status, etc. *won't* be used, I think of the Galapagos.

Patagonia, Chile, and Peru are high on my list as well.

So is Antarctica, but that probably stretches the $3,000 a bit far.

Easter Island, Reunion, Mauritius, and some of these other very out-of-the-way spots could be very appealing as well.

I get the sense from your original post that you aren't necessarily looking to blow all the cash on a big NYE party. I get that Sydney is a party, but given that you're coming *from* New York, I might be tempted to do something totally non-big-city with this one...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Go and find Nemo.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Antarctica on a budget.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by airmotive
Antarctica on a budget.
What are the options to do this? I'm genuinely interested...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Your money goes far in SE Asia.

Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia... The world is your oyster.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:19 am
Original Poster

For those of you who are curious, I haven't booked yet. There have been some fires at work, so i have another day or two to deliberate.

It's basically down to: Patagonia or Australia.

Also- if anyone knows the cheapest way to get to Antarctica, please reply to this thread!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by MMinNYC
For those of you who are curious, I haven't booked yet. There have been some fires at work, so i have another day or two to deliberate.

It's basically down to: Patagonia or Australia.

Also- if anyone knows the cheapest way to get to Antarctica, please reply to this thread!
Whenever I've seen Antarctica trips advertised, they tend to include a Patagonia component to them. I occasionally see these in magazines or websites targeting a medium-to-high-end audience, likely based in U.S. or Canada. Often in the $5,000 range and higher. Usually a full package kind of deal...flights to a certain point in Argentina, maybe a few nights in Patagonia, and boat from there.

However, I'd be interested in how an FT'er might do it a la carte, using miles/points for flights and a few days in Argentina, and then buying an Antarctica trip from there.

I've been told that people do it for the Galapagos: fly to Quito and go to a certain part of town where local travel agents sell Galapagos packages from there, highly discounted vs. what the typical affluent National Geographic reader pays for full-service from a U.S. departure. Wondering if that exists for Antarctica (even for a very short season), or if there are simply not enough vessels going that way to just buy a cheap ticket at the last minute.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:48 am

Nepal via Abu Dhabi. Bit cold but a nice time to visit and good for a single traveler.

Bali (via HKG). Always great.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:47 pm
Suspended

It's possible to milk them for the most expensive trip but I'd say to take the trip you deem the most enjoyable, whether or not it's the most expensive.

Don't go out of your way to maximize miles. Pick a good schedule for the flights. Business class is certainly more comfortable than economy class but I am not sure if first class trumps business class by much, especially if the business class seat is fully flat.

As far as hotels, go for ones with the best location. The most expensive is not always the best location.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Australia for NYE will eat your whole budget just on hotels at 1000$+ / night if there is even any more inventory available this late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.