Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most annoying passenger you've encountered?

What's the most annoying passenger you've encountered?

Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Well I'm not afraid to put a name on the most irritating passenger I've ever had onboard. His name was (and might still be, if he's still alive) Mamool and he was a thoroughbred Arabian racing stallion, owned by the Godolfin stables (i.e. Sheikh Maktoum of Dubai), jockey'd by Frank Dettorio and one of their most prized horses.
You've just given me flashbacks to my first pony, who hated to be loaded into a trailer and also viewed it as a game when you tried to catch him in the pasture. No broken legs, but a friend managed to break a rib or two while helping me try to catch him. (Imagine a three rail fence where the bottom rail had been removed and was on the ground, the middle rail was missing entirely and the top rail -- which was also removable -- was in place to block the gap in the fence. Friend was on a tiny pony she used for Pony Club gymkhana trying to help me corral my pony. Her pony bolts under the top rail, which hits my friend in the chest and knocks her onto the ground where on her back on top of the other pole. It's amazing she wasn't more seriously hurt.)
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
deleted

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Oct 23, 2014 at 5:07 pm Reason: Ooops!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
deleted

Agreed

Last edited by Doc Savage; Oct 23, 2014 at 8:26 pm
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Elite or something, Marriott Platinum
The person who closed my window while I went to the bathroom. It was normal daytime, no bright sun hitting anyone in the face. Everyone mysteriously was napping when I got back. It was a conspiracy! I opened the window but only halfway as a compromise
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by lloydah
Crew on break - UA777 2A, TATL, flaps the curtains around, lights up my face with his reading light, then does it again, then again when he leaves. Whole cabin vibrates with his footfall. No problems from PAX.
Oh my, a little bit of light on the face. There are surely some tender souls here.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Originally Posted by SpewyMcSpew
JFK-LAX UA flight in econ plus a few months ago. Someone close to me was continually passing gas and refusing the use the restroom to relieve themselves. Every 5 minutes awful smell, after awful smell. I summoned the flight attendants several times and requested an announcement be made to the offending gas passer to use the restroom and spare the entire plane from their smells. FA said they even are smelling it in F/class but still refused to make a basic announcement. It got so bad that I had to hold my nose for most of the flight. Nothing like having to breathe other peoples farts for 6 hours+
I sympathize with you. I truly do, but I question just how practical it is to get up and go to the lav every few minutes to fart. Wouldn't that arouse suspicion? Make people wonder why someone keeps getting up, the FA's would wonder and question the pax as frequent use of the lav could be a security red flag. Make people wonder if something is being assembled in there. Who knows? Much less embarrasing and more discreet to just let it out all flight as awful as it is I know. Even so the constant opening and closing of the door would fan the smell around anyway not to mention the pax crop dusting on the way back. Just not a practical or realistic solution what you suggested, unless you suggested to the FA to make an announcement to the pax to just hold it in.

I had my own string of annoyances on a flight a few weeks back on a Southwest flight from PHX to SEA I was in 2F, right behind the bulkhead in front. Towards the end of boarding when the FA's started to mention it was a completely full flight, aisles and windows are probably all taken, grab the first empty seat, etc this older, probably 50 something couple spotted the middle seat in my row and the bulkhead. The wife sat next to me, husband got the bulkhead. Everyone is on board and the door closes, the FA's mention to the husband that his bag must go overhead, but there is no more overhead space nearby, however the wife makes a suggestion that maybe she can squeeze his small backpack/purse thingy under the seat in front of her. Since she already had her purse there, and my small duffel bag was already under the seat in front of me in order to make room she had to have her husband's bag spill over into my foot space. I can always put my bag under the seat and still have plenty of feet space by straddling it, but not that time.

To top it off during pushback I smelled this awful smell that lingered for what felt like forever. Someone farted. So bad the lady next to me started fanning her face with her magazine. I just stood still because I felt like if I tried to fiddle with the ac to fan the stench away from me I would get blamed for it when it wasnt me!

Off and on during the flight a baby a few rows back would wail horribly for about 15-20 minutes then stop for a while.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Oh my, a little bit of light on the face. There are surely some tender souls here.
HA!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Tizzette
The guy feigned not speaking English, that's why the point was made of his accent, in this case Arabic sounding, guessing Lebanese. So what? It could have been an Eastern European accent, a redneck accent, an Indian accent or a New Jersey accent and the behavior would be equally obnoxious.
Leaving it at "an accent" is more than enough information. Actually, even that is probably unnecessary detail.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:36 pm

Red face

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Leaving it at "an accent" is more than enough information. Actually, even that is probably unnecessary detail.

A bit of detail is what makes writing interesting.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
I sympathize with you. I truly do, but I question just how practical it is to get up and go to the lav every few minutes to fart. Wouldn't that arouse suspicion? Make people wonder why someone keeps getting up, the FA's would wonder and question the pax as frequent use of the lav could be a security red flag. Make people wonder if something is being assembled in there. Who knows? Much less embarrasing and more discreet to just let it out all flight as awful as it is I know. Even so the constant opening and closing of the door would fan the smell around anyway not to mention the pax crop dusting on the way back. Just not a practical or realistic solution what you suggested, unless you suggested to the FA to make an announcement to the pax to just hold it in.
All the idiot had to do was go to the bathroom and poop. This was not a constant gas, get up, sit down, get up again situation. It was quite obvious he ate something that didn't agree with him. He was about to poop his pants and decided just sitting there and passing horrible gas for 6 hours was a better idea than just getting up and going.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SpewyMcSpew
All the idiot had to do was go to the bathroom and poop. This was not a constant gas, get up, sit down, get up again situation. It was quite obvious he ate something that didn't agree with him. He was about to poop his pants and decided just sitting there and passing horrible gas for 6 hours was a better idea than just getting up and going.
And whose bright idea was it to place the "Vanish Stain Remover" ad under that post - or is it only on a UK IRL?
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by rriopel432
People that try to have a conversation with you when your eyes are closed and you've got your headphones in.
Oh man that was the guy on my last ORD-PHX flight that had to tell me all about his mission trips. Listen I have nothing against mission trips and have heard great stories from friends who have done them but I don't know you from Adam so I really don't give two turds about your trip. Finally I told him I'd been up since 0330 to catch my first flight and was having problems keeping my eyes open, put on my headphones and attempted to go to sleep. I wish I'd remembered you could use personal devices during takeoff before he started yammering on.

The pax I'd like to have strangled the most wasn't actually sitting next to me on the plane (Thank $DEITY) but a loudmouth at the gate who couldn't understand how our departure from Phoenix was delayed by weather when it was clear and sunny out. Apparently he couldn't grasp that huge line of thunderstorms between in the inbound aircraft's departure airport and Phoenix may be related to said delay. Hey sparky haven't you noticed the distinct lack of an aircraft at the gate?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Not sure this is the most annoying, but turned out to be nearly the most embarrassing. Flying back home from Australia on the Qantas A380 in Premium Economy yesterday. The two lavs are between business and PE and are adjoining in the center of the plane. I'd noticed on the flight over in the one bathroom there was a small handle and it was hinged such that you could essentially open the divider between the two lavs.

Well, I was in the other one pretty early into the flight home when as soon as I unzip and start the flow, the person in the adjoining lav starts to open said divider. I gently pushed it closed as soon as it started opening thinking the person doing it would quickly realize that isn't the door to get out. I was wrong. Repeated attempts, with short breaks in between, while I'm trying to finish peeing without either spilling on the floor or being accused of indecent exposure. I couldn't believe they didn't realize that wasn't the door they wanted. They made one final, forceful attempt (at this point I was rather frustrated) that caused me to utter "STOP" loud enough for them to hear while throwing my shoulder into the divider pretty damn hard to make it clear there was a person on the other side who didn't want to share a space with them.

They relented after that, and by the time I finished, washed my hands, etc, they were gone. I was a little flustered, and it's one of those things that happned so fast, but I'm proud to say no urine was misplaced through this little event and no one got exposed.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: Enough
On SVO-JFK, in whY, my poor husband had the pleasure of sitting beside a woman with a lap child, who I swear was the size of a 6 year old. I'm all for public breastfeeding, but she would lay her breast on him with the child kicking at him while he fed.

He was not a happy camper.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Not necessarily annoying, but I regularly see people getting on the plane walking through First Class looking for their seat. Boarding pass says 34J. They look at the first row, "1". Go to the next row. Stop. Look at the row. "2". One row at a time until they get to the end of First Class. They see the smaller seats, stop and start looking at row numbers in First Class again. Just in case the airline accidentally stuck row 34 between rows 2 and 3.
OMG this infuriates me too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.