Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why did my HKG-NRT flight go around Taiwan?

Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

I flew HRG-NRT on Delta, and though the direct route would have taken us over Taiwan, we jogged a few hundred miles east around the island, then back up north to Tokyo. Why was this?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:52 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Most direct route would be over the PRC (the non-HKG part), but the much of PRC airspace is reserved for military purposes.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=hkg-nrt

Last edited by tjl; Oct 21, 2014 at 3:09 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Likely due to weather. Judging by FlightAware data, flights on CX, JL and NH all typically head due east out of HKG then turn north flying directly over Taiwan and skirting the coast of the PRC. DL doesn't report data to FlightAware for this route, but one would imagine they'd take a similar route on an ordinary day...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by bongo4
I flew HRG-NRT on Delta, and though the direct route would have taken us over Taiwan, we jogged a few hundred miles east around the island, then back up north to Tokyo. Why was this?
When was this?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
When was this?
Yesterday, Hong Kong time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.