Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What airport has the best view upon approach/landing?

What airport has the best view upon approach/landing?

Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:52 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Article on CNN.com today! ^
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/25/tr...ic-touchdowns/
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RRDD
The approach to LGA can't be beat for views. Make sure you have a window seat on the left side.
Occasionally, they'll do the approach west of Manhattan, which I find to be even better. Because they can't fly over Manhattan, you pretty much go right up the Hudson with fantastic views of downtown, including 1 WTC, the entire skyline, Times Square, Central Park, and you can even get Yankee Stadium off in the distance.

Flew this route into LGA around 9pm on 9/11/2013 and the lights coming from 1 WTC and the 9/11 memorial were an amazing sight.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I am not sure why you would want to keep a topic like this confined to the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum when you could share it with other FlyerTalk members from around the world who might be able to contribute airports to this discussion which are not served by Delta Air Lines
No problem at all. Most of my experience is with Delta and I'm a big Delta fanboy which is why I put it in the SkyMiles forum. Thank you for moving it to a place where more FT'ers can contribute.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I am a little unhappy this left the delta forum. I, as a delta platinum have never flown in/out of Any of the united hubs. It was a delta hub question.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Esltroy
I am a little unhappy this left the delta forum. I, as a delta platinum have never flown in/out of Any of the united hubs. It was a delta hub question.
So something for you to aspire to

As a United (business travel) flyer, I've flown into/out of every DL, AA, and US hub (except MEM), mostly on UA.

Also have to disagree with your characterization that this was a DL hub question, as the OP's example was Portland, Maine, most decidedly not a DL hub.

So on topic, the approach into Bora Bora (BOB) is pretty darn spectacular, as is Grand Junction, CO (GJT).
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Esltroy
You need to get out more!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
Gotta second the vote for ORD, especially coming up from the south and arcing out over the lake to circle back to the runway. Beautiful views of the skyline and the lakeshore. (But LGA and SEA for departure, hands down).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by deniah
LUKLA nepal

YES ! Have been wanting to do that for quite some time...while I am in India. You tube has some videos....
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by rstlsgirl
Gotta second the vote for ORD, especially coming up from the south and arcing out over the lake to circle back to the runway. Beautiful views of the skyline and the lakeshore. (But LGA and SEA for departure, hands down).
How's this for a landing at ORD?

These Guys Landed A Cessna At One Of The Biggest Airports In The World

Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
The circling approach to Innsbruck runway 08 is truly spectacular. If you get a chance, grab a window seat on the LH side of the aircraft. Then feel you nether regions curling up as you fly along the mountainsides.

The visual approach to Copenhagen runway 22L/R is also pretty neat if you come from the North, as you'll be passing right alongside the city. Window seats RH side get the views.

The old Kai Tek IGS approach to Runway 13, however, that was something else. Passing right over the most densely populated place on earth, so low you could see if Mrs. Kong had done a good job on the laundry hanging out to dry on the roofs.

SXM is pretty boring from a passenger point of view, as it's all water until you blaze over the beach and touch down. From a spotter on the beach, however, it's something quite spectacular.

Kangarlussuaq in Greenland, on a clear day, is very beautiful. You track deep inside the fjord, with mountains on both sides, to end up on a small plateau at the end of the fjord. Just enough room to place a small airport, and that's what they did. Experience is enhanced by knowing, that if you don't make it in the closest alternates are either in Canada or Iceland.

My favourite of all is by far Vagar on the Faroe Islands. Tricky approach between the imposing mountains of the fjords, passing over a couple of small islands before doing a sharp LH turn to land on a very short runway. Pucker factor well above 100, albeit I must admit never having experienced the landing from the cabin - only from the cockpit.

But I do believe that nothing can beat the approach into Bhutan on a clear day. There's a video of the entire approach somewhere on youtube, go and have a look for yourself. The national airline of Bhutan, Druk Air, used to operate with BAe-146s. Airbus, however, managed to get their A319 certified for operations there, and that's what Druk Air has been flying for the last few years.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by HMPS
YES ! Have been wanting to do that for quite some time...while I am in India. You tube has some videos....
the flight is great since the aircraft is eye-level and shoulder-to-shoulder with the mountain top. cockpit is open so passengers can get a peak straight through the front glass. the one-room departure "area" and baggage offload is also interesting....
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by deniah
the flight is great since the aircraft is eye-level and shoulder-to-shoulder with the mountain top. cockpit is open so passengers can get a peak straight through the front glass. the one-room departure "area" and baggage offload is also interesting....
I trust you mean "peek"
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:14 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
ITO -- From right side of the plane: Hamakua coast, Mauna Kea, Hilo and Hilo Bay.

SAN - Love looking out into the office windows

RNO - Landing from the west to the north at RNO; the sudden explosion of lights when you clear the mountains and make the long left turn.

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 22, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Has to be northbound departure from JRO (Kilimanjaro) for me. With the airport right at the base, its a quick 180 degree turn then a long stead climb with fantastic views of Kilimanjaro, mt Meru and the rift valleys. Sit on the left if you can.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
I trust you mean "peek"
Lol, a PEAK through the front glass would be frightening, indeed!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.