Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

A request for the gentlemen re in-flight lavs.

Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum

About an hour into MEX-IAD, exactly 3 people had used the front cabin restroom - one F passenger, the captain, and the first officer. I was the unlucky #4 (and the only female).

The bathroom floor had puddles and smelled worse than a back alley in Mumbai.

I can understand there are challenges with moving targets (although there was no turbulence at the time), but please gentlemen.... if aiming is difficult, sit down.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
This issue is actually a pet peeve of mine as a male. For whatever reason, most airline restrooms are designed to conduct any "near miss" into a puddle on the floor rather than into the toilet. Maybe there's some reason for this design preference, but it's infuriating because a little turbulence or unsteadiness suddenly turns you into "that guy."

Then again, when that happens, I try to clean up after myself.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Or it could be, as it was for me in a recent flyer, a problem in the system and after each flush a small puddle appeared. The FAs were placing absorptive materials in the floor and into the cabin for much of the flight. The alternative would been to lock the lav.

Related peeve, the toilet seats on 73x seem to be designed not to stay up.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
I find the two-handed approach to work well. One hand to aim and the other braced against the "bulkhead" above the toilet. The real mystery for me is the puddle in front of the urinal in airport restrooms.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: 1K, XP, Marriott Gold, Avis
A request for the gentlemen

Some airlines have dedicated male female lavs which wouldn't work on narrow body aircraft.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Or really, anyone using the potty should just make sure they clean up after themselves. Once I was trying to wait for the sink to drain, only to see impatient / concerned PAX who needed the bathroom. You know how some sinks drain more slowly than others...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond

Knowing this happens frequently I'm absolutely amazed at the number of passengers going to the restroom in their bare feet or just socks, This seems to happen more on internationals the later the flight gets.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Let's be realistic too. Yes, I've had my share of blind aiming, but some women aren't all that innocent either. No one want's to sit on a strange toilet seat, and a few of the ladies bend over and take some wild shots themselves.

Either way, people have to clean up after themselves. And yes, I've stopped and reminded countless people heading to the lav in their socks.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I have a few times idly wondered (after trips to particularly gross lavs) whether it's an explicit part of the FAs' job to keep the lavs in somewhat respectable condition during flights. Do they check for puddles/trash every so often? Are they supposed to? I don't expect a full-on cleaning, but if there's an issue with the condition of the lav, who else is going to address it during the flight?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 9elf S
I The real mystery for me is the puddle in front of the urinal in airport restrooms.
+1
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Ah, yes, barefootedness on long-haul flights. I cringe whenever I see it, doubly so if the barefooted one is headed for the loo... Ick.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by jewels421
I have a few times idly wondered (after trips to particularly gross lavs) whether it's an explicit part of the FAs' job to keep the lavs in somewhat respectable condition during flights. Do they check for puddles/trash every so often? Are they supposed to? I don't expect a full-on cleaning, but if there's an issue with the condition of the lav, who else is going to address it during the flight?
I guess no more than paper refill. Never seen a FA actively cleaning the lavs, and I'd say rightfully so. Their task is different.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by sgfood
Knowing this happens frequently I'm absolutely amazed at the number of passengers going to the restroom in their bare feet or just socks, This seems to happen more on internationals the later the flight gets.
I've seen people go barefoot to the lav. I try not to look.

But then again I see people do the oddest things on planes. Top of my list was the guy who clipped his toenails in BF on a EWR-HKG flight two minutes before dinner was served.

I am not particularly squirmish, but I do expect adults to clean up after themselves. Something spills (whatever it is), you mop it up. I expect it from a passenger AND from the crew. Remember, in this instance the last two occupants of the lav were from the cockpit.

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
I guess no more than paper refill. Never seen a FA actively cleaning the lavs, and I'd say rightfully so. Their task is different.
I agree, but as I came out of the lav, one of the FAs was just outside so I told her "watch out, the gentlemen don't have very good aim today, it's awful in there".

She thanked me for the warning, and instead of going straight in she pulled a blue bag from the cabinet first. I don't know if she cleaned up in there or not, but I feel bad if she did, definitely not her job.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 20, 2014 at 9:29 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of the same member.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 9elf S
The real mystery for me is the puddle in front of the urinal in airport restrooms.
Sorry to gross out any of the ladies, but sometimes, guys do get the dreaded "split stream." Sometimes, it is pretty innocuous and just hits the floor, but you have to watch out for the ones that can hit your shoes or pants.

Maybe they should put up a sign like the the one the janitorial staff did in my college dorm:
"We aim to please. Won't you aim, too, please?"
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Sorry to gross out any of the ladies, but sometimes, guys do get the dreaded "split stream."
Reminds me of the scene in Me, Myself and Irene.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.