Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

History trivia - when did the airlines start offering free UG??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United

I can not remember, do others???

I can remember some 10-12 years ago at least on Delta they did not offer free upgrades unless one purchased a Q fare or higher. I remember that because I did that once and only once as decided that up faring for the chance of an UG was not worth it.

Edit - I am specifically wondering about UGs when tied to FF status - even with coupons. No quite the free unlimited we have now but before that.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Oct 20, 2014 at 7:49 am
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar

I can remember some 10-12 years ago at least on Delta they did not offer free upgrades unless one purchased a Q fare or higher. I remember that because I did that once and only once as decided that up faring for the chance of an UG was not worth it.
I started flying regularly in 1990. After a couple of years of regular TATL flights, TWA started upgrading me every time I walked past one of their planes.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It was going on in the 1980s. It was going on in the 1970s. I wouldn't be surprised if it was also going on in some ways at some point in the 1960s too.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It was going on in the 1980s. It was going on in the 1970s. I wouldn't be surprised if it was also going on in some ways at some point in the 1960s too.
considering that frequent flyer programs really started in ~1981-1982, I respectfully suggest that these last ... while probably true ... are rather irrelevant to OP's question
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767
considering that frequent flyer programs really started in ~1981-1982, I respectfully suggest that these last ... while probably true ... are rather irrelevant to OP's question
Frequent flyer programs have been around the US and elsewhere even before President Carter signed off on the US airline deregulation act. While the FFPs gained mass followings way more after Carter's US airline deregulation act than before it, FFPs in some form have been around in the US since at least the Nixon Presidency. And complimentary upgrade certificates have been given to US airline customers for frequent business since at least some point in the early 1970s if not even in the late 1960s.

Did you even know that there were/are DL SkyMiles million milers/"lifetime" complimentary annual elites who got to the status because of flights flown before 1981? There are, including from a program that existed in 1980.

Free, unlimited complimentary upgrades based on minimum level of annual credited flight miles to the airline's FFP -- which is not what the OP asked -- is a different story.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 20, 2014 at 7:13 am
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Plat
Around 1982 for me with EAL, It was called Executive Traveler.
Show card when checking in Free upgrade.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Free, unlimited complimentary upgrades based on minimum level of annual credited flight miles to the airline's FFP -- which is not what the OP asked -- is a different story.
You are correct I did not specifically state that - but that is what I am wondering about. No quite the free unlimited but more in general when tied FF status - even with coupons.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:54 am
Suspended

You are correct I did not specifically state that - but that is what I am wondering about. No quite the free unlimited but more in general when tied FF status - even with coupons.
FFP elite status tracked by miles flown with that mileage-based-tracking giving rise to a mileage-formula fixed ratio of upgrade coupons? That has been around in the 1980s too. Segment-based tracking giving rise to upgrade coupons -- without regard to FFP elite status -- was around at least in the 1970s.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767
While formal, documented and officially promoted frequent flyer programs date back to May 1981 (AA's AAdvantage soon followed by others) informal tracking of frequent flyers and perks such as upgrades and lounges existed well before that. My then father-in-law flew to Europe for business fairly frequently in the 1960s and was well known to Pan Am. They treated him very, very nicely.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Efrem
While formal, documented and officially promoted frequent flyer programs date back to May 1981 (AA's AAdvantage soon followed by others) informal tracking of frequent flyers and perks such as upgrades and lounges existed well before that. My then father-in-law flew to Europe for business fairly frequently in the 1960s and was well known to Pan Am. They treated him very, very nicely.
In fact, the first airline frequent flier program was launched by Frank Lorenzo's Texas International Airlines in 1979 (subsequently merged into Continental Airlines in 1982), but it gained little traction and has been largely forgotten about.
But even that -- formally in Carter-era 1979 -- wasn't the first loyalty program used by an airline.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 26, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.