Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bizarre price issue - need advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Bizarre price issue - need advice

I want to take Delta flight 575 from ATL to SAP (non-stop) and it will cost $835. However, if I were to buy a ticket from SAV to SAP which stops in ATL and changes planes to flight 575, it would only cost $665 (meaning the cost to get from SAV to ATL is -$170!)

1) Why?!?!

2) If I were to buy the SAV - SAP ticket, could I just not show up in SAV for the first leg, then get on the plane in ATL? Seems that would be too obvious of a workaround and they may have some policy prohibiting it . . .

If I can't do that, I would consider a bus ticket to SAV as it would save me $135 to wastefully ride from ATL, just to turn around and fly back to ATL.

Thanks for any help!!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

If you miss any flight on your itinerary, all further tickets will be cancelled. You can't skip the first leg.

You could ride the bus to SAV. On the return trip, you could hop off the plane at ATL and throw away the ATL-SAV leg without penalty, but you could not check bags, just carry them on.

(Edit: Since you would clear customs in ATL, you might be able to check bags and pick them up prior to customs. I haven't entered the US via ATL in a long time, so don't know the current layout there.)

Airlines price flights to make as much money as they can; sometimes they need to compete on routes so have to meet other carriers' prices.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Oct 17, 2014 at 12:12 am
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that quick reply!! As well as reminding me about checked bags. I'd hate to have an unexpected trip to Savannah to go get my luggage if I hadn't thought about that!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DarkAges1
I want to take Delta flight 575 from ATL to SAP (non-stop) and it will cost $835. However, if I were to buy a ticket from SAV to SAP which stops in ATL and changes planes to flight 575, it would only cost $665 (meaning the cost to get from SAV to ATL is -$170!)

1) Why?!?!

2) If I were to buy the SAV - SAP ticket, could I just not show up in SAV for the first leg, then get on the plane in ATL? Seems that would be too obvious of a workaround and they may have some policy prohibiting it . . .

If I can't do that, I would consider a bus ticket to SAV as it would save me $135 to wastefully ride from ATL, just to turn around and fly back to ATL.

Thanks for any help!!
Reason for the pricing is competetive markets. Lower prices where competition is high.

What your talking about is Hidden City Ticketing. Plenty of threads about it.

The airline will cancel the remainder of your ticket if they catch you. They can also charge your CC the higher cost (in theory). If you are a Frequent Flyer then can kick you out of the FF program and take away your miles.

Bottom line: Don't do it.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:02 am
Suspended

Cool

The airline will cancel any remaining segments of your current itinerary if you miss a flight. Nothing else bad will happen.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
It's called "hidden city". Airlines prohibit it.

If you miss the first segment, they cancel the rest of the itinerary.

If you do it often, they get upset and penalize you.

As others have mentioned, there's the luggage issue.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Not a "bizarre" price issue but a very common one -- nonstop flights on monopoly routes often cost more than connecting flights where the customer has a choice of carriers. Distance flown has nothing to do with pricing.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The airline will cancel any remaining segments of your current itinerary if you miss a flight. Nothing else bad will happen.
Actually not true. There has been at least one FTer who did this frequently and reported that his/her frequent flyer account was closed and I believe lost all the points.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by zerolife
Actually not true. There has been at least one FTer who did this frequently and reported that his/her frequent flyer account was closed and I believe lost all the points.
If you do it once, they don't seem to care. If you do it a lot, they do.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. If you noshow for the SAV-ATL, your entire ticket will be cancelled as a virtual certainty.

2. If you noshow for the SAV-ATL and it is a regular practice, there may be other consequences.

Pricing is about supply and demand in different markets. Not a charge per linear mile. it's also sometimes cheaper to fly WAS-LON than WAS-NYC.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Welcome to monopoly pricing.

Anybody on this board based in ATL, DTW, MSP, or another fortress hub can tell you all about Hidden City Ticketing's pros and cons.

Several highly entertaining 1,000+ post threads here about it as well...probably on Page 1 or 2 of this forum.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by zerolife
Yeah, I started a thread asking whether anyone had had actual consequences, and the number of confirmed problems was essentially zero unless they were flying the route routinely, weeks in a row. And then he airline just warned them to stop.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ty-ticket.html

Last edited by Doc Savage; Oct 17, 2014 at 1:43 pm
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:44 pm

If people are willing to ride the bus from Atlanta to Savannah just to save a hundred bucks, no wonder airlines cut all service just to offer the lowest prices.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
If people are willing to ride the bus from Atlanta to Savannah just to save a hundred bucks, no wonder airlines cut all service just to offer the lowest prices.
If you earn $100/day it likely makes a difference versus if you make $2000/day where it is pocket change. I agree, I wouldn't spend all the time getting to SAV for only $100 savings.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the info. Sorry if this is a frequent question that noobs like me bring up. I wouldn't have known to look at something called "hidden city" so a topic dedicated to that wouldn't have helped me. (It would have to be called something like "why is it cheaper to fly two legs instead of one when one of the two legs is the same flight as the single leg?" Can that be shortened without losing the critical element I'm asking about?)

Now that I realize it will be two trips by bus and only $100 savings, I will just buy the ATL non-stop. I'd rather not be on a bus for 9 hours if I don't have to be (even though I could get a lot of reading done.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.