Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is the 24hr free cancellation policy largely a US/Western policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G

ive invoked it so many times across multiple carriers i blindly assumed its universal thing

just attempted it with a philippine airlines reservation - just the online tool not the # - and it said "this reservation not eligible for refund/change". couldnt find any wording in reservation mentioning free allowance for cancellation.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:43 am

It's pretty much exclusively a US policy.

Most parts of the world, the deal is done the second you click the final button. No returns.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not a US "policy". It is US law. DOT requires all US carriers and all carriers on tickets to/from the US to offer either a 24-hour fee free cancellation or a 24-hour hold on tickets purchased 7+ days out. Most US carriers offer somewhat more generous terms.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:09 am

A lot of European carriers also offer 24 hour free cancellation - but I think it is not a universal law here.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:59 am

For some reason (and I can't remember what the reason is) air tickets are not covered by EU Distance Selling Laws - so any 24 hour grace period is indeed voluntary.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:07 am

Do all carriers support this 24-hour policy? Is it difficult to actually utilize?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bigsilverjet
Do all carriers support this 24-hour policy? Is it difficult to actually utilize?
In the USA they have no choice. Unless it's within seven days of the first flight, the airline must give you a refund (to the original form of payment) unless they offered the free 24 hour hold when you purchased the ticket. DOT has fined carriers for being slow to process refunds.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:11 am
Suspended

It’s not a universal policy so you need to check the terms before you buy your ticket. Many (non-US) airlines will say that you cannot cancel the ticket and get a refund. Therefore, if you need to cancel you lose the value of the flight unless you can negotiate with the airline a change in date or time (usually pay a penalty). The best thing you can do is buy a travel insurance policy with trip cancellation. If you need to cancel a flight for a covered reason, you can get your money back.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Often1
It's not a US "policy". It is US law. DOT requires all US carriers and all carriers on tickets to/from the US to offer either a 24-hour fee free cancellation or a 24-hour hold on tickets purchased 7+ days out.
Since you want to play semantics, it actually is a policy. The law requires an either/or and the choice to offer a cancellation rather than hold is a policy decision by the individual carriers.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
DOT requires all US carriers and all carriers on tickets to/from the US to offer either a 24-hour fee free cancellation or a 24-hour hold on tickets purchased 7+ days out.
I do not believe it.

Example: book a flight like FRA-MIA-FRA on fluege.de (a big, but rather shady German OTA). Once you book it, there is no way out of it.
Why should a German court honor some rules from the US DOT?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
I do not believe it.

Example: book a flight like FRA-MIA-FRA on fluege.de (a big, but rather shady German OTA). Once you book it, there is no way out of it.
Why should a German court honor some rules from the US DOT?
Per the answer to a question I asked the DoT a few weeks ago, the rule doesn't apply to travel agents. I think, by extension, that applies to online travel agencies, like fluege.de (emphasis on "I think").

That said, I'm pretty sure the DoT is well within its rights to regulate foreign-flagged carriers on their operations in the US. No need to go through a foreign court to make that happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.