Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by ft101
..it has the knock on effect of other passengers maybe ending up in a middle seat unnecessarily.
In contrast to whom?

Who needs to end up in middles???
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
I'm a big dude, 6'3" -280#, but I don't find the 17" seat width that big of a deal. I do find the difference between 31" on an A320, 31" on a B737, and 32" on a B737 to be a really big deal. That 31" on the DL A320 has my knees in pain by the end of a short haul flight, the 31" on a WN 7H4 is tolerable, but not ideal, the 32" on a WN 8H4 or AS 738 is luxurious even for long-haul, and absolutely the perfect configuration for someone my size, seeing that seats any bigger would be a waste of space, although I suppose people a inch or two shorter would argue the same thing about 31".
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by weero
In contrast to whom?

Who needs to end up in middles???
Been discussed many times on here. If someone goes to select a seat and there are only middles left, they don't know who are in window/aisle pairs hoping for an empty middle seat. They could pick one between two strangers who won't swap out, not knowing there are many of potential swappers elsewhere on the plane who are just being selfish.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
There are also plenty of couples who are happy to sit apart for a couple hours on a shorter flight, if the middle seat fills up.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by nkedel
There are also plenty of couples who are happy to sit apart for a couple hours on a shorter flight, if the middle seat fills up.
This! When my family books we book aisles and windows. We rarely swap because none of us like to sit in a middle seat even if next to a family member.

There is nothing worse that 3-3-3 seating or 3-4-3 seating. The 747 supposedly originally had 2-4-3 seating, which kind of provides something for everyone. The old 2-5-2 seating on the 777 was pretty good since it was rare for every single seat to be filled in the middle section.

I always try to fly on 767's when possible, since the configuration is 2-3-2 and a lot more comfortable.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Been discussed many times on here. If someone goes to select a seat and there are only middles left, they don't know who are in window/aisle pairs hoping for an empty middle seat. They could pick one between two strangers who won't swap out, not knowing there are many of potential swappers elsewhere on the plane who are just being selfish.
How are they being selfish?

Actually, I don't know anyone who would swap to sit in a middle seat just to be beside their traveling partner......they would rather an aisle seat and a few hours of separation (oh, the horror! To not sit next to your spouse or sibling!).
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer

Actually, I don't know anyone who would swap to sit in a middle seat just to be beside their traveling partner......they would rather an aisle seat and a few hours of separation (oh, the horror! To not sit next to your spouse or sibling!).
Yeah, I do not understand the people who seem to think that they just have to sit next to their [insert friend/teammate/family member/romantic partner etc] for a couple of hours on an airplane. Who cares. People on WN are constantly trying to get blocks of seats, which just seems pointless. Pick a seat you like, and have the other people you're traveling with do the same. Presumably, you're going somewhere *with* them, so you'll be able to talk to them for probably several days once you get there.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:40 am

Yes, I'm sure there is but this little conversation is about those who select the window and aisle in the knowledge they'll offer a trade to anyone who turns up to sit in the middle.

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer

Post 274 specifically mentioned using this strategy with a view to trading with their companion if required. If you're going to sit window and aisle then fine, otherwise you're taking an option away from someone else.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by leungy18
This probably isn't the first FT thread that addresses POS in same way.

Airlines should offer the option to buy a second seat next to yours for the same price. Make it an option you can add during checkout, and even include a diagram illustrating how many inches is available for a particular plane's seating configuration. If you occupy two seats, you should pay for two seats or upgrade to a higher cabin. This option could also be helpful to people with guitars or cellos, or people who simply want a 2nd free seat next to them.

Pax ought to be able to fit between both armrests fully down -- in fact, we should have a model seat to see whether pax can fit, in the same way we have little metal boxes to see whether carry-ons can fit. If the pax can't fit in the model seat at the airport, then said pax should have to pay for a second seat -- not the same price as he paid at time of booking but the cost of a new ticket just prior to departure. That'll incentivize POS to plan ahead.
Airlines DO offer the option to purchase an additional seat, often for any reason and not just a COS or musical instrument. However, it's typically not possible on line; one must call the airline or use a real live human travel agent to do this properly as you simply cannot just purchase two tickets under your name. Perhaps this needs to be publicized more and offered with a simple check box during online purchase.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
The 777 and 747 were "engineered" for nine-across seating. The 787 was "engineered" for eight-across seating. The airlines stuffed in an extra seat to squeeze out a little extra revenue, and I'm suggesting that the government should force them, through regulation, to go back to the old configuration.

The extra seat on the wide bodies does add about 11 percent more revenue, but not profit. There are substantial costs involved with serving 11 percent more passengers, so that net revenue gain is much, much less.

At the very least, if airlines are going to be allowed to fly with these super-narrow seats then we need some system that will provide statutory damages to those who suffer seat encroachment from obese flyers. The airlines should be required to provide passengers with a specific procedure to follow when dealing with a seat encroacher, and passengers who are harmed should get automatic and substantial damages of say $10,000 per incident. This will cause the airlines to address the issue.
Note that adding 11% more seats does not increase revenue by 11% either. Revenue management would change the entire pricing strategy, but a rough upper bound would be to assume that the 11% additional seats are sold at the lowest fare on the flight. In practice, it would be lower than this on average, with the chances of empty seats and the number of empty seats also being increased somewhat.

Originally Posted by artemis
Hear, hear! A standard Economy Class seat width across all airlines would also make it easier for someone who's heavy (but not 400 lbs) to know in advance if they will actually fit in the seat. With economy class seat widths varying as much as they do, right now for the average person it's a guess (because they don't know about Seat Guru, and because equipment changes are a Thing). I don't want to buy a second seat because I thought the economy class seat on flight 1234 was going to be 16.8" inches wide, only to discover that in fact it's 17.5" or 18" wide and I fit it just fine. I also don't want to squish my fellow passengers because I guessed wrong.
One problem is that SeatGuru is often wrong or out of date. IME it's useless for these reasons.

There are two issues; I think plenty of folks agree that large passenger should not be allowed to spill over into another occupied seat, and should be re-seated.

How the airline handles re-seating them -- where, when and whether they charge for it -- really isn't anyone's business but the larger passenger's and the airline's, and I'm not sure the Southwest model is the best one (especially given that other airlines in theory follow it, but enforce it so rarely as to have no predictability for larger passengers.)
Often an airline attempts to "handle" the problems caused by a COS by making the encroached upon customer move to a different and often less desirable seat, for example Y+ to Y- or much further back. Another possibility is to make a parent hold a lap kid that would otherwise occupy a seat and use the kid's deat for the encroached upon passenger. If no seats are available in the same (or lower) cabin, usually the encroached upon customer is told to either accept the encroachment or leave the flight, (probably) to be (costlessly one would hope) rebooked onto the next available flight. If no space is available that day, the victim can pay for his/her own hotel room, meals, etc.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Often an airline attempts to "handle" the problems caused by a COS by making the encroached upon customer move to a different and often less desirable seat, for example Y+ to Y- or much further back. Another possibility is to make a parent hold a lap kid that would otherwise occupy a seat and use the kid's deat for the encroached upon passenger. If no seats are available in the same (or lower) cabin, usually the encroached upon customer is told to either accept the encroachment or leave the flight, (probably) to be (costlessly one would hope) rebooked onto the next available flight. If no space is available that day, the victim can pay for his/her own hotel room, meals, etc.
Are there really people who actually agree to leave the flight or accept a lesser seat upon the request of the airline to accommodate a POS? I wouldn't agree to that whatsoever.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Amex
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Are there really people who actually agree to leave the flight or accept a lesser seat upon the request of the airline to accommodate a POS? I wouldn't agree to that whatsoever.
Just another reason to be sure you are onboard and in your seat first.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
While I share your sentiment, I can easily understand why in the current environment (at least on US airlines) a passenger will refuse to act in his/her best interests rather than risk angering a FA. I like to believe that I would stand up for myself and insist that I receive the full seat I booked (i.e. arm rest would have to be down) and/or wouldn't accept a "lesser" seat than I booked, but when faced with being removed from a flight, I suspect I would take the lesser seat. I imagine many others feel the same way I do. I don't like it one bit, but that's the way it is.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by janehoya
While I share your sentiment, I can easily understand why in the current environment (at least on US airlines) a passenger will refuse to act in his/her best interests rather than risk angering a FA. I like to believe that I would stand up for myself and insist that I receive the full seat I booked (i.e. arm rest would have to be down) and/or wouldn't accept a "lesser" seat than I booked, but when faced with being removed from a flight, I suspect I would take the lesser seat. I imagine many others feel the same way I do. I don't like it one bit, but that's the way it is.
Tin wings on an off-the-rack blazer don't impress me. I don't care how angry an FA or even the flight crew get. I'm not going anywhere voluntarily or meekly. Those who go along with being moved or off-loaded because the airline thinks some POS should be allowed to take up half your seat ensure nothing is going to change.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Tin wings on an off-the-rack blazer don't impress me. I don't care how angry an FA or even the flight crew get. I'm not going anywhere voluntarily or meekly. Those who go along with being moved or off-loaded because the airline thinks some POS should be allowed to take up half your seat ensure nothing is going to change.
I sincerely admire your courage.

You are sadly correct in regards to the fact that those of us who have allowed ourselves to be beaten into submission have contributed to the extremely unpleasant flying environment we find ourselves in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.