Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is Ebola making you think twice about travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by iahphx
Cancelling a trip to South Africa now would be like cancelling a trip to New York City because of an outbreak of disease in Morocco. It's the same distance. It's nuts.

Anyone truly worried about this (other than folks in West Africa and healthcare workers elsewhere who are treating the victims) needs to take a step back and THINK. You are being irrational. There is no real risk. I know it's sometimes hard to think like this, but you should really try. Travel inherently involves some risk: heck, hundreds of people die in America everyday from car accidents. The odds that you will be the first traveler killed by ebola are infinitesimal; it's right up there with being abducted by aliens.
I am concerned about other peoples reaction to it; disruptions and such. I see the possibility of real irrationality coming out if there are a few more cases.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: *A Gold / Delta
Parents and sis in Macedonia(ze motherland) on Vacay, about to tell them to checked up. Interesting fact- when I arrived in Skopje this summer beginning of August no Ebola awareness pamphlets were out. After doing a short trip to IST and arrived mid august at SKP, Government had put ebola pamphlets at passport check up. Ebola epidemic mustve picked up mid August and now its just growing at an astounding rate.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyLXA333
Parents and sis in Macedonia(ze motherland) on Vacay, about to tell them to checked up. Interesting fact- when I arrived in Skopje this summer beginning of August no Ebola awareness pamphlets were out. After doing a short trip to IST and arrived mid august at SKP, Government had put ebola pamphlets at passport check up. Ebola epidemic mustve picked up mid August and now its just growing at an astounding rate.
What the heck? I guess anything is possible, but I'd bet there's no ebola in Macedonia. It's just another false alarm. Let your family vacation in peace.

BTW, so far there is only one person in the entire world outside of West Africa who has contracted ebola. And she was a nurse's aide changing the diaper of an ebola victim. That's the risk we're dealing with here, folks.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: Paid F
I am researching flight costs to Tanzania and then South Africa for next summer for myself and the whole family. There are some outstanding deals out there right now, probably aided by the Ebola epidemic. But realistically, only a couple thousand people have died... and of all the ways to die in Africa, Ebola isn't even remotely the most common.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310.pdf

At 3,865 deaths primarily in West Africa, Ebola probably isn't even in the top 100 causes of death let alone the top 10. We are facing an epidemic all right -- of media-induced hysteria!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No impact on my travel plans.

I'm more worried about knee jerk overreactions (e.g. if US CBP decides to quarantine an entire flight because someone onboard has the flu) than the infinitesimal risk of exposure.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by JW76
At 3,865 deaths primarily in West Africa, Ebola probably isn't even in the top 100 causes of death let alone the top 10. We are facing an epidemic all right -- of media-induced hysteria!
It is relatively early stages of the outbreak - if not contained cases grow exponentially.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: Paid F
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It is relatively early stages of the outbreak - if not contained cases grow exponentially.
Well, not quite. The odds of transmission are not 100%.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: *G
not at all, october is another travel-heavy month. i do chuckle a bit at the hysteria and fear mongering dished out in the US over this
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
In a word, no.

I wouldn't go to Liberia, but I wasn't planning on that anyway.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by JW76
Well, not quite. The odds of transmission are not 100%.
Any disease doesn't need 100% transmission rate for exponential growth.

Anyway the point is if it is not well contained the future number of cases can be many many times the ones confirmed to date.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
What the heck? I guess anything is possible, but I'd bet there's no ebola in Macedonia. It's just another false alarm. Let your family vacation in peace.

BTW, so far there is only one person in the entire world outside of West Africa who has contracted ebola. And she was a nurse's aide changing the diaper of an ebola victim. That's the risk we're dealing with here, folks.
Thanks iahphx for being another voice of reason here. Ebola is a horrible disease, no doubt about it. However, it is comparatively difficult to contract and those who are contagious are both obviously sick and incapable of traveling long distances. It isn't just coincidence that most of those who get the disease are caregivers, both professional and non-professional, and people who handle the dead bodies of victims. They are the ones who come into contact with the disease at is most contagious. If you aren't the direct caregiver of someone who has Ebola, the risk is significantly diminished, even if you have encountered someone with Ebola, and the likelihood of you encountering someone with Ebola outside of just 3 countries is vanishingly small.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by FlyLXA333
weird, I was in Skopje in late Aug., and don't remember seeing anything.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by fjfv19
If I thought about the possibility of disease, accidents, violent crime, abduction etc. every time I stepped on a plane to a foreign land, I would never travel. I leave for Australia in a little over a week, no qualms. Ebola is a real issue but in the grand scheme of things, I'm more likely to get into a car accident than contract the disease in my current circumstances.
We leave for South Africa and Namibia next week. Have not considered cancelling. You can't have your fear of dying keep you from living.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Thanks iahphx for being another voice of reason here. Ebola is a horrible disease, no doubt about it. However, it is comparatively difficult to contract and those who are contagious are both obviously sick and incapable of traveling long distances. It isn't just coincidence that most of those who get the disease are caregivers, both professional and non-professional, and people who handle the dead bodies of victims. They are the ones who come into contact with the disease at is most contagious. If you aren't the direct caregiver of someone who has Ebola, the risk is significantly diminished, even if you have encountered someone with Ebola, and the likelihood of you encountering someone with Ebola outside of just 3 countries is vanishingly small.
This is certainly what the medical community is saying. Which is why I'm watching what happens with the victim's family in Dallas and the husband of the nurse's aide in Madrid. If those families don't contract ebola, you can see that the risk of an epidemic outside of Africa is exceedingly small (even if they do get it, the risk of an epidemic is still small, but stricter procedures would be advisable).

I'm particularly concerned about the Dallas family due to the seeming incompetence of the hospital staff in sending the victim home when he first reported with the ebola symptoms. Logic suggests he might have been contagious during that time he returned to the apartment. So if that family doesn't contract ebola, it's incredibly unlikely that anyone who has mere "casual contact" with an ebola victim would catch the disease in the developed world.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FTcadence
In a survey conducted by NBC News, 58% of (U.S.-based) respondents supported banning all flights to the U.S. from Ebola-affected countries.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...278640701.html
As the U.S. is an Ebola-affected country, would 58% support banning all US flights even domestic ones? How quickly the panic would subside when the NIMBY crowd gets hit -- not by Ebola -- but by flight bans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.