Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If you order room service...or use bell staff to carry your luggage...chime in here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you order room service...or use bell staff to carry your luggage...chime in here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a huge difference between an employee who sits at the entrance of a lounge which has free muffins in the AM and someone who actually does concierge work, e.g locating theater tickets, good table at restaurant and the like.

The latter is a professional. No tip for simple routine questions and answers. But, when the concierge gets you that table by the window for your anniversary at the restaurant which is booked into 2018, something really substantial is appropriate. If you're spending $1K on dinner, spending $100 on the person who got you in is appropriate.

Lastly, there are places where one may regularly stay and where the concierge knows you and routinely looks out for you. I tend to provide something substantial around the holidays and mid-year.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Often1
There is a huge difference between an employee who sits at the entrance of a lounge which has free muffins in the AM and someone who actually does concierge work, e.g locating theater tickets, good table at restaurant and the like.

The latter is a professional. No tip for simple routine questions and answers. But, when the concierge gets you that table by the window for your anniversary at the restaurant which is booked into 2018, something really substantial is appropriate. If you're spending $1K on dinner, spending $100 on the person who got you in is appropriate.
Just to be clear, I do tip the professional who helps me, but not the CL attendant, unless there is extenuating circumstance. My CL time is usually quick in, quick out.

My first time at a certain non-US property I was not familiar with the currency/economics, had been awake for hours and accidently tipped the Concierge the equivalent of two weeks' good salary in that particular country. It wasn't an obscene amount by US standards, but I later learned it was too much. The Concierge's immediate reaction was a dead giveaway. During the stay, the Concierge couldn't help me enough. The couple times I've been back, he emails me and asks if there is anything he can do. If he isn't there to greet me, he makes sure someone tells me he prepared for my stay. It turned out to be the best couple hundred bucks I ever spent.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
This thread is not Marriott-specific. I am moving it to Travel Buzz.

Bruce
Moderator, Marriott and Ritz-Carlton Rewards
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by JamesEaston
If you do order room service, do you tip the delivery person? If you use the bell staff to carry your luggage do you tip for that?

If yes to either or both, do you also tip the housekeeper each morning since all three jobs are identical in that the person is getting paid by the
hotel, yet doing a very personalized service directly for you so naturally if you tip any of the three you should tip all of the three.
Yes but I don't tip them the same way.

A couple of bucks or the local equivalent to the bell staff and the room service waiter. The equivalent of a couple of bucks per night for housekeeping staff when I check out.

I can't explain why I tip the room service staff this way but it's what I learned to do years ago.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JamesEaston
If you don't order room service or use the bell staff no need for comments (although I assume pathetic trolls will be trolls)

If you do order room service, do you tip the delivery person? If you use the bell staff to carry your luggage do you tip for that?

If yes to either or both, do you also tip the housekeeper each morning since all three jobs are identical in that the person is getting paid by the
hotel, yet doing a very personalized service directly for you so naturally if you tip any of the three you should tip all of the three.

For those who tip the room service person and/or the bell staff but don't tip their housekeeper, I suppose Marriott is correct in that non tipping of housekeepers is due to the lack of direct visual connection with the person doing such a deeply personal task directly for you.
I always tip room service and bell service but never the maid. Room service and bell service are personal services to me. I guess that's my logic.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:44 pm

Room service: I usually throw a couple of bucks on top of the service charge.

Maid: Really? Not a chance. Anyhow, I put up the DND sign the second I get in my room.

Valet: I usually tip a fiver to the guy parking it and a couple of bucks at the guy who retrieves it. The parker gets more as I don't want my car mangled.

Bellman: There is absolutely no way in hell that I would allow someone else to touch my bags. Ever.

Check-in staff: I refuse any offers to take me to my room and show me around. I've spent thousands of nights in all manner of hotels and I can figure it out on my own. Just point me in the direction of the elevators and my room.

Concierge: Why? I have the internet for that.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:54 pm
Original Member

Tipping -- always a loaded issue here for a variety reasons ranging from tightwaddness to cultural. In the US and Mexico, I tip bell staff, room service and housekeeping, also parking attendants and sometimes door staff when they are helpful. But not hotel reserved-access lounge staff; nor do I see others tip in same. I also tip the drivers of "free car service" including at my local garage. Concierge sometimes, often give flowers, chocolate, wine. Checkin staff never.

In Europe I am more selective in tipping.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Yes but I don't tip them the same way.

A couple of bucks or the local equivalent to the bell staff and the room service waiter. The equivalent of a couple of bucks per night for housekeeping staff when I check out.

I can't explain why I tip the room service staff this way but it's what I learned to do years ago.
For many tips (valet, bell person, etc.) one can figure out the local equivalent in terms of one beer in a local bar: have a drink on me. After all, the original French expression for tip is supposedly "pour boire."
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Room service: My one and only time ordering room service included a mandatory flat fee delivery charge and percentage service charge. The total charges as a percentage of the food order was something in the range of 40% so I did not tip.

Bellman: Usually I only have my wheeled carry on which I to my room myself. For a few resort hotels with larger luggage my group of 4-6 staying in 2-3 rooms were tipped about $10 per cart. On a recent group tour to Sri Lanka our group tipped the porters as a whole about $5 to bring everyone's bags from lobby to room, then room to lobby. Quite helpful since some hotels did not have elevators.

Housekeeping: In US and Canada I always leave $2 per day. I never leave a big mess. Ironically, I once had a conversation with someone who worked in housekeeping (this was not in a guest-maid situation) who said youth sports groups and families often leave the biggest messes and no tips and business travellers were the opposite.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For many tips (valet, bell person, etc.) one can figure out the local equivalent in terms of one beer in a local bar: have a drink on me. After all, the original French expression for tip is supposedly "pour boire."
The current French word for "tip" is indeed pourboire.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: QF
Room Service - Usually tip 10% unless the tray charge was big. Certain less fortunate countries where I know the staff struggle to get by I've tipped up to 30-40%. I was once kept waiting in an Australian hotel and my order came up 2 hours after it was ordered and I disputed the tray charge.

Bellman - I NEVER use this service, one is an issue of trust and two I'd rather get changed and shower as soon as I enter the room.

Maids - I don't tip housekeeping.

Parking Valet: Rarely use this service but if I do then $5 each way.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:50 pm

Room service: I tip anywhere from $2-$5 a day. I don't leave a mess.

Bellman: almost never use this service. Actually, I came into this thread because in the last two places I stayed, both Marriotts, they actually charged me to bring luggage up to a meeting room or guest room. At one Marriott, I shipped a piece of luggage to the hotel. When I went to receive it (I had tracking on it, so I knew exactly when it was there), I was told that the hotel's policy is to charge the guest $30 per item. I asked if I can be waived the fee since (1) the hotel did not inform me of this fee when I called to ask; and (2) I could transport the luggage to the convention meeting room myself. The bellman didn't budge on this, so I just let it go, and let him walk the piece of luggage to the meeting room, while I held onto my hand cart uselessly. I didn't tip because I figured it was part of the $30 service charge.

The second instance happened when I arrived at the hotel with two pieces of luggage and a box. I asked the Bellman to borrow the luggage cart. He came and I told him I could port my own luggage to my room. The Bellman said that that was not hotel policy, that he would have to do it for me. Additionally, there is a $4/item service fee. I was not informed of this, so, annoyed, I told him I will haul all my luggage up myself without the cart (it's doable, but very unwieldy, and will take me 3x as long).

Parking valet: I don't use the valet at hotels, but at restaurants, I generally tip $2.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
If there's a service charge on the bill then no.

For all others I'm too lazy to check, so I just follow the simple math of 10% of bill or 5~10USD (depending on country) whichever is lower.

Only exception is housekeeping. I always leave a few dollars in local currency on the night stand before I leave for the day, and whatever I have loose change and small bills before I check out.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
[QUOTE=nsc168;23616501
Bellman: almost never use this service. Actually, I came into this thread because in the last two places I stayed, both Marriotts, they actually charged me to bring luggage up to a meeting room or guest room. At one Marriott, I shipped a piece of luggage to the hotel. When I went to receive it (I had tracking on it, so I knew exactly when it was there), I was told that the hotel's policy is to charge the guest $30 per item. I asked if I can be waived the fee since (1) the hotel did not inform me of this fee when I called to ask; and (2) I could transport the luggage to the convention meeting room myself. The bellman didn't budge on this, so I just let it go, and let him walk the piece of luggage to the meeting room, while I held onto my hand cart uselessly. I didn't tip because I figured it was part of the $30 service charge.
[/QUOTE]

Which Marriott charged you $30 for one item? Did this included storage or a receiving fee since you had it shipped? Did it arrive ahead of your stay?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Aren't there already a million tipping threads on FT? Why wouldn't this be merged with another one?

There are so many, I think tipping/customs should have its own forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.