Your experience with Consular staff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your experience with Consular staff?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I have needed to visit an Embassy once to get additional pages for my Passport. Seeing a Marine guard at the entrance left the most memorial impression as I knew I was "back" in America (though really in the Middle East). Getting the pages was simple and easy.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Wilbur
As an expat living overseas, you get a little different view of the DipCorp people that does a traveler who shows up and asks for a service, like a lost US passport. I was an expat in several different countries and in different continents in the 80s and 90s, and my overall view of the Americans employed by the State Department wasn't very positive.

Generally this was because the State people never seemed to have any interest in learning about the people in their host country or developing any sort of relationships with the people who lived in the city. Again, this is a generalization, but it was as if all their social and professional interests were centered on Washington DC, and anyone who was not a part of the Beltway Crowd was not worth their time. For example, I had an American employee who worked for me in the capital of an Asian country, and an American Embassy guy came to the country and moved into the house next door. The Embassy guy and his family went out of his way to ignore my guy and his family the entire time he lived there, as well as every other neighbor on the street.

The other weird touch point for State people and their dependents is on flights to and from the states, where some of the most entitled behavior I have ever seen from Americans has been exhibited by our supposed public servants. DYKWIA, demands for upgrades because of who they are, etc.

Again, this is a generalization, and I am sure that their are good folks out there, but it has been depressingly consistent that the State people, rather than setting an example for being a neighborly American living in a foreign land end up being a character out of "The Ugly American". And since it was my tax dollars supporting their near-lavish lifestyles, it was particularly noticeable and disagreeable.
Most Foreign service officers generally keep to each other as they tend to be targets. In many countries it means a target for bullets, others they are just harassed, plus there is always an issue in doing something that "looks" bad. Being seen with someone from the wrong company can send things at work down hill very fast and end your career. I have some friends who are FSO and most have spent very little in the US and quickly find they do not fit in basically anywhere or with anyone other then each other.

Other then high ranking staff most FSO do not make very much money as pay starts at less then $40k and housing allowances can be hit or miss. Some cities you make out others not so much; Tokyo is one that people love till they find out that that massive housing allowance doesn't go very far when you are told to live in an ultra expensive area.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Many years ago, my wife (at the time, fiancee) was seeking an exit visa from Korea to come to the U.S. for our wedding. Part of this process was an interview at the U.S. Embassy in Seoul. After a long delay, she was finally let in to be "interviewed" by a Korean employee of the U.S. He began by offering her a cigarette (a real no-no for Korean ladies at that time), and, when she refused, said, "You are going to America to marry an American. I thought all prostitutes smoked." My wife was shocked. She just got up and left. She then called the U.S. Ambassador (she was on the staff of another country's embassy) and related what had happened. Within days, she was asked back to the embassy, where all the paperwork was signed and stamped. The same man said he was sorry, and asked her out to dinner. Again shocked, she left and telephoned me. I was a friend of a U.S. Senator at the time and I called him. About a week later, she told me that all was cleared up and the man no longer worked for the U.S. government. I knew my wife with her connections (her mother was a political figure at the time and she was on an embassy staff) would be OK; what offended both of us was, what if she had been just a poor Korean girl wanting to marry an American - why the need for an insult? BTW, same U.S. Embassy a month before: I went with her to file papers for our marriage and her departure. After waiting 6 hours watching the employee (an American) with my papers drink coffee, talk to others, and mill around, I asked him the status of my paperwork. He told me, "You should have gone through the Army offices first, and, besides, it got you out of a day of work." I replied that I was a college professor teaching in Korea and not in the Army. He said, "Oh. Here they are", handing me the signed papers. I did not complain at that time because the really bad incident hadn't yet occurred. I sincerely hope things are better now days.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Now that passports have to be mailed back to HMG in the UK, the biggest question for the massive UK Embassy in HK for expat Brits here is: what on earth do they do all day?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: Asiamiles, OZ Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CX HK
Now that passports have to be mailed back to HMG in the UK, the biggest question for the massive UK Embassy in HK for expat Brits here is: what on earth do they do all day?
They liaison with the locals all day.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:07 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

When I tried to get an Indonesian tourist visa in both Tokyo, Colombo and Hong Kong, I was summarily admonished by all three. After 45 minutes, the HK one finally relented. Their excuses were that I could get a VoA in Indonesia, though my argument was that it was my first time going, thus I didn't want to encounter any hiccups along the way.

OTOH, the Pakistani Embassy in Jakarta loved chatting with my ex-gf, so they kept serving us tea.

The Taiwanese Embassy in San Salvador was not surprisingly pissed that I tried to get a photo of their front gate. After code-switching a bit with embassy staff, they gave my friend and I some maps and CDs.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by relangford
Many years ago, my wife (at the time, fiancee) was seeking an exit visa from Korea to come to the U.S. for our wedding. Part of this process was an interview at the U.S. Embassy in Seoul. After a long delay, she was finally let in to be "interviewed" by a Korean employee of the U.S. He began by offering her a cigarette (a real no-no for Korean ladies at that time), and, when she refused, said, "You are going to America to marry an American. I thought all prostitutes smoked." My wife was shocked. She just got up and left. She then called the U.S. Ambassador (she was on the staff of another country's embassy) and related what had happened. Within days, she was asked back to the embassy, where all the paperwork was signed and stamped. The same man said he was sorry, and asked her out to dinner. Again shocked, she left and telephoned me. I was a friend of a U.S. Senator at the time and I called him. About a week later, she told me that all was cleared up and the man no longer worked for the U.S. government. I knew my wife with her connections (her mother was a political figure at the time and she was on an embassy staff) would be OK; what offended both of us was, what if she had been just a poor Korean girl wanting to marry an American - why the need for an insult? BTW, same U.S. Embassy a month before: I went with her to file papers for our marriage and her departure. After waiting 6 hours watching the employee (an American) with my papers drink coffee, talk to others, and mill around, I asked him the status of my paperwork. He told me, "You should have gone through the Army offices first, and, besides, it got you out of a day of work." I replied that I was a college professor teaching in Korea and not in the Army. He said, "Oh. Here they are", handing me the signed papers. I did not complain at that time because the really bad incident hadn't yet occurred. I sincerely hope things are better now days.
I've had foreign relatives insulted by US embassy/consulate staff. They get their US visas but decide never to go through the process again. It's no better now than before -- even as it is way less likely a Korean fiancée is going to be considered a prostitute today than some decades ago.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:42 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Many of the Spanish Consular Staff in San Juan are regular drinking buddies of mine... I don't know if that counts, but I always get good service now.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've dealt with a few embassies and consulates (and ambassadors and consul-generals) through work. There is a huge difference between the countries / offices - I recall when I telephoned one consulate, expecting to go through to the switchboard, the consul-general himself answered the telephone - I was completely thrown! Others I have virtually had to pull teeth to be put through to the person who is expecting my call, switchboard / reception Nazis! And I must confess, the US ones are particularly bad on this front!

Funnily enough I have received an invitation to attend a soiree at an Embassy overseas next month (I swear the person putting the list together thinks I am someone else) which I am much looking forward to. I am also secretly hoping that they will serve ferrero rocher (for an obvious to Brits reason). It hasn't happened yet sadly (if I were an Ambassador I would sooooo serve them, just to see who got the joke!)
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: *G
it's been a while so memory's not clear, but i remember needing to contact an italian representative in the denver area. google gave me an address for consulate that i followed with GPS

at destination, i wasnt sure of navigation since it was a quiet residential neighborhood. i looped the block once until i realized the car parked at the marked address had special license plate, and there was a tiny plaque near door of the house.

doorbell was answered, after a few minutes, by a man about 70 years of age, still in his pajamas. it was noon. he took my documents and gave me a card of a lady (the consular representative ???) to check on processing status.

about a week later i called the number, answered only by her machine. called again a few days after that, and person on the line said that the lady had just quit her job.

forgot what transpired next but eventually i got all the documents sorted.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
Originally Posted by relangford
Many years ago, my wife (at the time, fiancee) was seeking an exit visa from Korea to come to the U.S. for our wedding. Part of this process was an interview at the U.S. Embassy in Seoul. ...
My recent experience with U.S. Embassy Seoul, and that of the Korean people we had working with us, was (AFAIK) substantially better. Issues were handled shockingly quickly by comparison to what I've gotten from federal government offices in the U.S., and the visa clerk was casual but professional interacting with my family and, from what I could tell, others in the queue.

YMMV, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Originally posted by VT_hawkeye: My recent experience with U.S. Embassy Seoul, and that of the Korean people we had working with us, was (AFAIK) substantially better. Issues were handled shockingly quickly by comparison to what I've gotten from federal government offices in the U.S., and the visa clerk was casual but professional interacting with my family and, from what I could tell, others in the queue. YMMV, but I was pleasantly surprised.
I am so glad that things have improved . I know that few/some/many (?) of the Korean girls marrying Americans in the 1960s were "business girls", but it still wasn't right to even suggest that. Interestingly, the girls' nationalities has gone from Korean to Russian/Eastern European to Fillipina (I work at U.S. military bases "up north") over the years. The U.S. Army (and, today, the Phillipine government) have been doing a decent job of reducing postitution from what it was 40 - 50 years ago. Good for the Seoul Embassy staff that there has been improvements. I still live in Korea, but have essentially no contact with the U.S. Embassy.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VT_hawkeye
My recent experience with U.S. Embassy Seoul, and that of the Korean people we had working with us, was (AFAIK) substantially better. Issues were handled shockingly quickly by comparison to what I've gotten from federal government offices in the U.S., and the visa clerk was casual but professional interacting with my family and, from what I could tell, others in the queue.

YMMV, but I was pleasantly surprised.
The efficiency level of service in East Asia has really shot through the roof if you compare it to the 1960's or so.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
As someone studying international affairs, I envy those of you who grew up around your respective countries' diplomatic corps.

My impression of US embassies/consuls is that they're not nearly as prone to have get-togethers for expats as other countries' (Australia, for example).
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Amelorn
As someone studying international affairs, I envy those of you who grew up around your respective countries' diplomatic corps.

My impression of US embassies/consuls is that they're not nearly as prone to have get-togethers for expats as other countries' (Australia, for example).
It's a combination of paranoia and population size that makes the difference.

The larger a given country's population and the larger the given country's population of expats in a foreign jurisdiction, then usually it is way less likely any citizen of the given country is invited to events by their own embassy/consulate in the host country.

The more "security" an embassy/consulate has in a place, the less inviting it tends to be to its own citizens too for social events in the host country.

Fortunately, even within this general dynamic, there are exceptions that shift things somewhat for at least some limited period of time -- largely driven by who has been appointed to run the embassy and the desire of spouses/significant others of such persons. But then things eventually revert back to fit the trend as indicated in my prior two paragraphs.

My Swedish relatives working outside of Sweden get invited to dinner with the visiting Swedish king far more frequently than my American relatives working abroad in a NATO country get invited by the US embassy/consulate for a dinner with any visiting American official. Maybe I've been around the block a bit too much, but I am not sure there is much to be missed than some free food and drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.