Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Later departure US West Coast better for sleep?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

There's a Seattle London. BA flight leaving at 645 pm, arriving at noon, which is 3 am Pacific Time. Some west coast flights arrive as early as 7 am.

Would you consider flying down to San Francisco or even Los Angeles for a later arriving flight? From SFO, there's a UA flight arriving at 2:05 and a BA flight arriving at 1:30, not much later than the Seattle flight. However, from LAX, there's a BA A380, which I have never been on, that arrives at 4 pm and a VS flight at 4:35 pm. That's like 8 or 8:35 am Pacific Time.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

The amount of time you have to sleep is going to be the same, but you'll add in an hour short flight and 2 hrs to connect, which would be a more exhausting experience.
It's a matter of personal preference. You dont say what you will be doing once you arrive in Europe. Does losing a half day at your destination bother you? For me, its easier to adjust to the time change when I wake up/land in the morning and have a full day before bedtime, rather than arrive at 2pm exhausted, only wanting a nap, and then being unable to fall asleep 8-9 hours later.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:20 pm

Agree on "personal preference," but am otherwise the opposite of Adam1222. I find it considerably easier to sleep on a plane if it's dark out when the plane's taking off (although still not easy enough that I'm "well-rested"--but enough to be functional at my destination till a normal-ish bedtime of 10 or so).

Also, in London, you can find stuff to do the evening of your arrival, anyway. For that reason, I personally wouldn't sweat losing a half day there. Last time I headed over to the Tate Modern.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

Do you sleep easily on planes? For me - I have a hard time sleeping at nonstandard bedtimes. I leave from the east coast but have found early evening departures difficult. I much prefer leaving at 11 pm or midnight. I will inevitably waste part of the departure day and part of the arrival day - but I sleep better on the flight and adjust better on arrival.

For me it's an easy call. But I usually go to bed at midnight or later. I have friends who usually are in bed by 9 and they have no trouble with 7 pm departures. I suggest you consider your normal routine and plan the trip so that it meshes as closely as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.