Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Death of the passport stamp?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by ThomasSmrs
back in the 1980s, I was young and stupid. My friend and I traveled around Western Europe for two months. There was only so much to do. One day, we cooked up a crazy scheme. We wanted to see how many passport stamps we can get within one day. We were only travelling by trains with our Eurailpasses. In the end, out best record was only 4. (yes, very lame...) Only managed to get Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France on in one calendar day.(all 4 stamps showed the same date)
^^^
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:23 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

There are multiple ways for a passport stamp to die

I'm particularly proud of this one-

Short story really, but at the end of a semester abroad in Tokyo, I had to surrender my alien registration card at my point of departure (in this case, NRT). However, I accidentally passed through immigration without having done this. I hurried back to passport control, which then admonished me about it and proceeded to place a "CANCELLED" chop over that first exit stamp. Back in Japan...for five minutes. The officer went into the back office, took care of something, then stamped me out again.

That is at the other end of the spectrum of DPS (Bali) immigration officials, who wouldn't even let me leave the country...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, QR Silver, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold
As a Pakistani passport holder I look forward to many decades of immigration lines and passport stamps.

On the flip side there will still be many years of developing word immigration stamping the passports of their own citizens. There is alot of pressure coming from the likes of the UK government who don't stamp passports on exit. So for example a non-EU international student who has left the UK before the end of the course would need to send a copy of the entry stamp in their home country as proof. This I guess would change once UK reintroduces exit controls.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

Short story really, but at the end of a semester abroad in Tokyo, I had to surrender my alien registration card at my point of departure (in this case, NRT). However, I accidentally passed through immigration without having done this. I hurried back to passport control, which then admonished me about it and proceeded to place a "CANCELLED" chop over that first exit stamp. Back in Japan...for five minutes. The officer went into the back office, took care of something, then stamped me out again.

That is at the other end of the spectrum of DPS (Bali) immigration officials, who wouldn't even let me leave the country...
What would have happened if you didn't bother to sort out this issue?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:44 pm

When I lived in Czechoslovakia, they always stamped the last page upon entry, one on top of the other unto obscurity, and each stamp had a tiny icon (lifted from some 1930's clip art catalog) of the mode of transport: a choo-choo, an open-top jalopy, or a sturdy Eastern bloc aero-flight machine. We hiked across from Hungary once, fingers crossed for a hobnailed boot, but only got another Tin Lizzie.
Just took a moment to flip through that pre-electronic passport and the stamps evoked memories like a madeleine.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by LAXative
But not at HKG.

(Or SGN/HAN/DAD.)
At HKG, I witnessed a refusal by an immigration officer to stamp a passport when the person, a caucasian tourist, asked for one. Immigration officer just looked at him and smiled.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Did the "CANCELLED" chop ever cause you any problems/ questions during immigration (in Japan or elsewhere) down the road?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:53 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moondog
What would have happened if you didn't bother to sort out this issue?
Originally Posted by CX HK
Did the "CANCELLED" chop ever cause you any problems/ questions during immigration (in Japan or elsewhere) down the road?
Based on what the immigration official said, if I didn't hand over the card/cancel the first chop, I could have run into problems/fines on future trips (the rules are a lot different since 2005, but Q80 and Q85 on that link clarify some issues). Or there's this wikiesque page.

It has been a while since I've looked at it, but the stamp doesn't read "cancelled." Rather, it reads "VOID."

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Sep 21, 2014 at 4:22 pm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: AC/EK

I had a similar experience in Panama. My aunt was living in Costa Rica and we went to do a visa run to Panama in their Nissan Pathfinder. We got the border, Costa Rica stamped us out, Panama stamped us in, took the paperwork for the vehicle in (which had been previously reviewed and supposedly put in order by a Costa Rican attorney) which they denied. So...we couldn't get into Panama at all but had to get stamped back out and then stamped into Costa Rica.

It was a crazy experience and a waste of time and money for me but at least my Aunt succeeded in extending her time in Costa Rica. I also recall staying in some small town that night and drinking at a bar where some fully pregnant Tica chick was hammered out of her mind and asking me to buy her a drink. Had she not been 8 months preggo I probably would have but honestly, it was a pretty disgusting experience and I feel sorry for the kid who I'm sure has FAS.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:19 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Osmo
It makes my husband very sad that the simple passport stamp is going the way of the dodo.

Remember as kids, flipping through mom and dads passports and thinking about the places we can go. Flipping through the iphone doesn't do the same thing.
I'll get over it. I enjoy sometimes looking at the stamps in my passport. But I'll be fine without it if it means more efficient screening and passage through passport control. The enjoyment I get from looking at a stamp isn't nearly as important to me as the enjoyment I get from passing through airport/border security as seamlessly as possible.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Osmo
It makes my husband very sad that the simple passport stamp is going the way of the dodo.

Remember as kids, flipping through mom and dads passports and thinking about the places we can go. Flipping through the iphone doesn't do the same thing.
I've defintiely enjoyed looking at even some of my deceased relatives' passports -- because of the stamps -- or passport equivalents. Some of the trips they took in their diplomatic passports were otherwise news and news to me -- even as I knew about many of the trips in those and other passports. I seriously doubt electronic records are going to be as readily recoverable and accessible as ink on paper a century or millennium from now.

Maybe it's my age, but I have doubt that -- over millennia -- electronic storage will be as durable and useful for historical analysis as ink in print. But I have no doubt that the paper passport booklets we now use will eventually be phased out.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ThomasSmrs
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that like flying from NY to Chicago with a connection in Miami?
(edit... in fact, I think HND-TSA-GMP is about the same mileage as JFK-MIA-ORD)
Yes it is, but as I noted it got me my first ride on an ANA 787 and as a DL/SkyTeam flyer -- not easy to find in the ST fleet. (By the way, not sure what is so special about the 787.)
Would that I earned mileage for it, but alas it was burning some orphan UA miles. The full routing for the trip was ICN-CTU(stopover)-NRT/HND(stopover)-TSA-GMP. Managed to book the whole thing in business for 40,000 miles and taxes. Going direct HND-GMP/ICN would have priced it at 45,000 miles and taxes.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Baldpacker
I had a similar experience in Panama. My aunt was living in Costa Rica and we went to do a visa run to Panama in their Nissan Pathfinder. We got the border, Costa Rica stamped us out, Panama stamped us in, took the paperwork for the vehicle in (which had been previously reviewed and supposedly put in order by a Costa Rican attorney) which they denied. So...we couldn't get into Panama at all but had to get stamped back out and then stamped into Costa Rica.

It was a crazy experience and a waste of time and money for me but at least my Aunt succeeded in extending her time in Costa Rica. I also recall staying in some small town that night and drinking at a bar where some fully pregnant Tica chick was hammered out of her mind and asking me to buy her a drink. Had she not been 8 months preggo I probably would have but honestly, it was a pretty disgusting experience and I feel sorry for the kid who I'm sure has FAS.
Oh, that Costa Rica/Panama visa thing is so fake. Just to make money.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
The plan is to fly into Geneva from the US and spend some time in Switzerland before heading south to Italy via train. Will I get one or both this way?
You will only get a Swiss Entry stamp.

As Switzerland joined the Schengen Area there are no more border controls between Switzerland and Italy and therefore no stamp.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by Revilo199
You will only get a Swiss Entry stamp.

As Switzerland joined the Schengen Area there are no more border controls between Switzerland and Italy and therefore no stamp.
Really?
I got both entry and exits Swiss stamps and my "exit" was off to Ireland, which is also in Schengen. Not that I'm complaining, I love stamps!

And I also got an Ireland stamp as well, which I was not expecting for the reasons you mentioned.

Now if I could only get my Machu Pichu/Inca Trail stamps back...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.