Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long flight decisions, tell me your opinion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking at booking a flight from Chicago to Dubai. It's a crazy long time to fly, and I have a really tough time sleeping on planes. I'm having a difficult time deciding between two options. Any opinions and insight are welcome!

Would you choose a flight that was broken up with an 8 hour flight, a 2 hour connection in Zurich, followed by a 6 hour flight?

Or would you take a shorter direct flight knowing your total travel time is less, but you are going to be stuck on an airplane for like 14 hours straight?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bluerodeo05
I'm looking at booking a flight from Chicago to Dubai. It's a crazy long time to fly, and I have a really tough time sleeping on planes. I'm having a difficult time deciding between two options. Any opinions and insight are welcome!

Would you choose a flight that was broken up with an 8 hour flight, a 2 hour connection in Zurich, followed by a 6 hour flight?

Or would you take a shorter direct flight knowing your total travel time is less, but you are going to be stuck on an airplane for like 14 hours straight?
In this case, I'd take the single long flight. I've flow itineraries like this in the past and I find the second flight really really difficult.

Note: I fly in economy, don't get much sleep unless I'm lucky enough to score a row to myself so I can lie down.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Welcome to FT bluerodeo.

Do you know about the 24hour rule?

I actually don't mind long flights and 14 hrs is fine, but if you're concerned, you might want to take advantage.

For international flights, any gap of less than 24hours between flights is considered a connection, not a stopover.

Meaning that it should price out the same.

I frequently take advantage of this to stop in a city I'd like to check out.

You can get off somewhere in Europe, Priceline a hotel, explore, eat and have a beer, get some sleep, then go back to the airport the next day for another short hop to DXB.

There are all sorts of ways to book this, but look first where your cheapest flights are connecting, then use multi-city booking to separate them out... you might be pleasantly surprised.

Have fun!

-R

Originally Posted by bluerodeo05

Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

I had not considered stopping in Europe, but I am intrigued by the idea. What's your favorite place to look for this type of flight?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE

I've done overnight connections several times through FRA, once through ZRH, and a couple times through LHR. IST is another major hub. It may be easier to work backwards; find the second flight you like best then attach the first flight.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:40 pm

The stop in Europe is a great approach. I'd do an airport hotel too. Makes it even easier.

If you don't opt for a stop I would go direct. I know it sucks but it is one sucky flight versus two or three. I think that second 6 hour flight would kill me. I used to do ATL-PDX-NRT a lot and coming back I didn't want to get back on the plane for PDX-ATL.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
My view: A medium long followed by a short is the most painful option..

I am happy to split a trip into equal-ish parts especially if I have lounge access in the middle..

Case in point is that dreaded LAX-ORD after my SYD-LAX.. the 13 hours has broken my soul and the 4 hours on a domestic leg with all the fun of being on a narrow body finishes me off

That said, there are many factors: Good airports, equipment (RJ = no thanks) A direct on a modern widebody trumps two narrow bodies any day (eg 777 vrs 757+757)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
My view: A medium long followed by a short is the most painful option..

I am happy to split a trip into equal-ish parts especially if I have lounge access in the middle..

Case in point is that dreaded LAX-ORD after my SYD-LAX.. the 13 hours has broken my soul and the 4 hours on a domestic leg with all the fun of being on a narrow body finishes me off

That said, there are many factors: Good airports, equipment (RJ = no thanks) A direct on a modern widebody trumps two narrow bodies any day (eg 777 vrs 757+757)
I'd concur. I once did Durban to Johannesburg (just the warm up at 2 hours) followed by Johannesburg to London Heathrow (a quick 10 hours) and then jumped straight onto a plane from Heathrow to Dallas that 'only' took 12 hours, mainly due to strong headwinds. Then a hop from Dallas to Austin at 40 minutes. It didn't help that BA and AA had exactly the same IFE menu but the worst was it was all in coach and it was packed solid on both flights. Somewhere over Greenland I had a very strong desire to get off the plane.

Back to the OP, I think this totally depends on whether you are up front or in the back. I could endure almost any duration if I am able to turn, sleep, read and eat (i.e in the front). Being on the plane doesn't bother me at all. So in summary if you are in coach I'd split it, if you are in Business/First, I'd go direct, non-stop.

Last edited by timfountain; Sep 17, 2014 at 6:46 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I think you'll find a whole range of answers depending on one's personal preferences. For me, I'd generally take the single flight in your scenario (and I usually only fly economy even on longhaul). Just like taking of a bandaid, better to just rip it all off at once than slowly peal it off!

But it can depend on the flying conditions - airplane type, hard product. Also whether it's mostly daytime or overnight flight...options for a decent stopover...and what I have to do upon arrival (work, leisure, long drive after arrival at the destination, etc.).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL GE
There is no right or wrong answer. However both options could involve irrops or missing or delayed luggage. Does adding a connection add to the risk?

Does one or the other allow you to have a better seat? Have you or can you take sleep aids?

Good luck!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum
I would choose to do the long flight and get it over with. BUT, if you haven't traveled to Europe a lot, it would be a great time to do an overnight somewhere fun on the way...Amsterdam, Paris, London, Munich, Rome. Do some research, some airport have better public transportation into town centers than others!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:03 pm

When I visited London last year, I chose a connecting outbound flight (LAX-ORD-LHR) to get an early morning arrival. All the nonstops arrived around 10 or 11 a.m., and I didn't want to risk a long immigration line and missing our 12 noon train.

Connection time in Chicago was only about an hour, which was plenty since we had only carry-on luggage. We were also in the front row of coach, which made the 8 hours to London a lot more comfortable.

On my next foreign trip I may try connecting flights again, and give myself plenty of time to clear immigration at the connection point on the return. I did get restless on our nonstop flight back to L.A.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
What class? I've almost never been able to sleep on a plane, but I slept a solid 7 hours on Emirates A380 biz class lie flats. The not-really-flat 777 and A340 was completely different
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: TK*G
I did IAH-DME-SIN not too long ago, and I definitely enjoyed being able to split the trip into two 10-11 hour parts. Much preferable to a 20+ hour flight.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I often fly to Los Angeles through Auckland because it breaks up the journey rather than one long 12 hour leg from Sydney to LAX.

I would rather 2 x 6 or 7 hour legs with a 2 hour stopover, rather than a long 13 hour flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.