Wiki Posts
Search

Most ridiculous reason for flight cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Coming into understanding that thanks DoT and its European counterpart, airlines in US/EU can't pull the thing which is quite common occurrence for budget airlines in SEA region.

Example: JetStar canceled flight because... it was not enough tickets (less than 3/4 of seats) sold and gave $20 vouchers to pax, even if they paid more. On all questions passengers were told to get lost and deal with their travel insurance.

Taking above into consideration, what was the most ridiculous reason for flight cancellation you've personally encountered?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hilton
Sometimes the customer service rep will claim the flight is cancelled by FAA. But I have heard on good authority that the FAA does not cancel flights, only delay.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I had a midnight flight from Bangkok or KL (can't remember which) cancelled due to someone seeing a mouse on the plane.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I had a midnight flight from Bangkok or KL (can't remember which) cancelled due to someone seeing a mouse on the plane.
Rodent infestation means the aircraft in question may not arrive at any other airport for obviously reasons like spread of diseases or bringing in foreign species that can endanger local fauna and flora. Therefore a completely acceptable reason for cancellation.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:45 am

or may be rat can cause some kindof technical fault in the air if messes up with some wires :-)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by moeve
Rodent infestation means the aircraft in question may not arrive at any other airport for obviously reasons like spread of diseases or bringing in foreign species that can endanger local fauna and flora. Therefore a completely acceptable reason for cancellation.
I know that. I know they could eat wires or whatever too.

It just seems amazing that one tiny little animal can wreak havoc on the plans of everyone.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:14 am

A few years ago, I had an Airtran flight cancelled because of a missing exit sign. At least that is what the airline employee told us when they were handing out flight vouchers. I looked for the exit signs on planes for a few flights after that.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:37 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

An Air Asia flight from Macao to KL was cancelled* due to heavy fog at MFM (Macao).

Though, other flights continued to land and take-off. My flight, after landing first in HKG and then flying to Macao, finally left 17 hours later. This is one reason why I'm not a fan of MFM...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Years ago I was flying UTA from Paris to Luanda Angola. It was 23 December. I was watching the map showing the flight progress when over Morocco I noticed the plane was moving backwards. Several of us were laughing that the map computer was lost. Turns out we didn't feel it turning around. We went back to Paris.

UTA said it was because they had forgotten to load oxygen for the pilots. The next day there was an ATC strike (Christmas eve). Had the flight continued to Luanda the crew would have been stuck in Angola for Christmas because of the strike. That was the real reason, IMO.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:10 am
Suspended

canceling because not selling enough tickets.

that should be finable for the cost of the airplane.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:24 am

Lufthansa from Boston to Frankfurt in the mid 90s. I was happy to get on standby. Settled in my seat. A guy in orange mechanic uniform strode down the aisle. Announcement informed us that the toilets weren't flushing. The mechanic left and announcements told us that the mechanics couldn't fix it and they were going to attempt to reboot the plane in case it was an electronics thing and we all had to deplane. First class pax were shunted into the last flights out to Europe. The rest if us got off , hung out and watched the plane being rebooted. Of Course it didn't work and the flight was cancelled. The pilot flew it to Frankfurt anyway, sans passengers.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by spd476
A few years ago, I had an Airtran flight cancelled because of a missing exit sign. At least that is what the airline employee told us when they were handing out flight vouchers. I looked for the exit signs on planes for a few flights after that.
Yes, that could be plausible. Although, how the sign goes missing in the first place is the bigger mystery...

Originally Posted by buttking
[snip]But I have heard on good authority that the FAA does not cancel flights, only delay.
You are correct.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I had a US flight come in CLT-PHX late evening when I was on the red eye return PHX-CLT. The inbound pilots said that about one hour into the flight one of the engines overheated. Considering that's worthy of diverting to the nearest airport, and you still flew the rest of the way across the country??? This was when the "east" and "west" pilots were having all their problems merging after the US/HP merger.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Those of us who lived through the United "summer from hell" when angry crew worked "to the rules" will have a million stories to tell. I remember a canceled flight because a single individual overhead light was burned out.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Okay, it's reasonable to cancel a flight because a baggage train hit the plane's wing and they need to locate the on-call mechanic to sign off that there was no damage to the aircraft.

But even an RJ is a pretty big target, and you'd think you'd notice that, yeah, plane wing right there so I'd better be careful and come to a safe stop on my mark with the baggage train rather than Crunch....Oops?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.