Wiki Posts
Search

How to get my spouse next to me?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Flying Blue, Skywards

I'm a normal economy class passenger, no privileges whatsoever . My husband and I are seated apart. What would be a surefire way to get check-in counter to let us sit together? Any tips appreciated. It's a long-haul flight on Singapore Airlines. I don't want to sleep/drool on the guy next to me who isn't my husband.

Online seat selection shows that it's a full flight. It was almost full when we booked, which is unbelievable because we must have booked 3 months prior to flight! Is the online screen lying?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyerhormones
Buy her chocolates?

If the flight is already full there is no sure fire way to make sure your seats are together. Call SQ customer service and make your request. Tell the GA when you check in. Other than that, it's asking the FA on the plane to help you.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Online seat selection shows that it's a full flight. It was almost full when we booked, which is unbelievable because we must have booked 3 months prior to flight! Is the online screen lying?
The online seatmap is no indicator of how full a flight is. The economy cabin in particular will stir around right up until departure because of upgrade activity. You have a good chance of being reseated together. If it doesn't happen and you end up on board the aircraft in two different seats, you can ask others politely to switch, but always offer the switcher the more desirable seat, e.g. you must be willing to give up an aisle for a middle as your part of the deal.

I'm usually happy to entertain seat-switch requests unless (A) I end up in worse position or (B) the asker assumes too much, e.g. is already sitting in my seat when I arrive.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The OP should call the airline; if that doesn't work and so inclined, try the check-in agent; if that doesn't work and so inclined, try the gate-agent; if that doesn't work and so inclined, perhaps asking a fellow passenger to move would work (if you have a better seat for the unrelated party). Personally, I would just ask on the phone or deal with it at check-in while expecting that it may not be possible.

Most people have plenty of time to sit next to a spouse in a non-airplane venue; and most aren't traveling in circumstances where it's that important to be seated together even if that is a preference.
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Buy her chocolates?
What makes you think the OP's spouse is or will be female? The OP mentioned having a husband. And most husbands are male.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 2, 2014 at 7:57 am
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most people have plenty of time to sit next to a spouse in a non-airplane venue, and most aren't traveling in circumstances where it's that important to be seated together even if that is a preference.
That's the typical defense in the BA forum of BA seat assignment policies:

Q. I want to sit next to my spouse.
A. You see your spouse all the time anyway! Sitting next to him/her on a plane isn't important!

Not terribly respectful of the questioner's agenda or possible circumstances.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I sit next to my wife a lot, including about six hours in a car yesterday. I still like to sit next to her on planes because it makes the whole body contact and armrest sharing scene much more comfortable than it is with a stranger. It also ensures that there won't be a passenger of size on that side of me, though that's not the main reason. Finally, should we be on a flight with meal service, it usually gets me one and a half desserts!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I thought this might be a request for advice on rekindling the romance

Seriously though I've usually had success in similar situations with the advice mentioned upthread, to just keep checking and then if nothing opens up by the day of departure, keep asking as you go from checkin to the gate, to onboard.

I'm not familiar with Singapore Airlines but in general seats may open up as departure gets closer due to upgrades clearing, business travelers with last-minute changes of plans, seats blocked (for bassinets, handicapped access, preferred seats, etc.) mis-connects on connecting flights on the day of departure.

If that fails you can probably find someone willing to switch especially if you follow BearX220's advice about ensuring the switcher is offered the better seat and are very gracious about initiating the request.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Swap with whoever is in her seat, but only if the new seat for them isn't a downgrade ie. don't expect someone to go from aisle to middle, or bulkhead to window. If all else fails, cash is king. I've paid $100 to have someone take my other seat. Just present it as a "here is something to help a little on your vacation" kind of thing.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:39 am
Used to be exsynner

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
I'm a normal economy class passenger, no privileges whatsoever .

My husband and I are seated apart.

Online seat selection shows that it's a full flight. It was almost full when we booked, which is unbelievable because we must have booked 3 months prior to flight!

Is the online screen lying?
Possibly.

Since you mention that you do not have status with the airline, you may not see all available seats. I see different options when I log in with my account (elite)vs my spouse on some airlines' sites.

You've received very good advice below...good luck.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:31 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Singapore Airlines Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:44 pm

You might not need to give $100, just say you'll buy them a cocktail. Are they free on Singapore for coach? If so, offer to buy them two
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
SQ seem to make a habit of blocking seats in vast chunks of their Y cabin, only to release them nearer to the flight date, so its worth checking back often for availability.

In particular, at midnight (Singapore time) on the day 72 Hours before flight departure they seem to release seats. If you have KVS or similar you can use this to check how many seats the airline has blocked on the flight. (send me a pm with your date and flight number if you want this..)
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by cmdsea
SQ seem to make a habit of blocking seats in vast chunks of their Y cabin, only to release them nearer to the flight date, so its worth checking back often for availability.

In particular, at midnight (Singapore time) on the day 72 Hours before flight departure they seem to release seats. If you have KVS or similar you can use this to check how many seats the airline has blocked on the flight. (send me a pm with your date and flight number if you want this..)
Yes, I once thought the flight would be full and then nearer to the departure date they opened the floodgates and loads of seats suddenly appeared as available.

I'd keep checking daily to try and get some good seats reserved earlier, but if all else fails there's always OLCI that opens up 48h prior to departure.

P.S. Are the "premium seats" in exit rows available or taken? This might be a good way to change your seats early to something more preferable. The fee is quite small and you get infinite leg room in return.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most people have plenty of time to sit next to a spouse in a non-airplane venue; and most aren't traveling in circumstances where it's that important to be seated together even if that is a preference.

What makes you think the OP's spouse is or will be female? The OP mentioned having a husband. And most husbands are male.
Indeed my husband is male. He likes chocolate more than me.

It's not that important to be seated together, just preferable, especially for 13 hours. And we are newlyweds, so not that tired of each other.

In addition, I seldom finish my meals and seated next to me gives him extra food.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
Yes, I once thought the flight would be full and then nearer to the departure date they opened the floodgates and loads of seats suddenly appeared as available.

I'd keep checking daily to try and get some good seats reserved earlier, but if all else fails there's always OLCI that opens up 48h prior to departure.

P.S. Are the "premium seats" in exit rows available or taken? This might be a good way to change your seats early to something more preferable. The fee is quite small and you get infinite leg room in return.
I'm going to keep trying!

OLCI...learnt a new acronym today! However we are trying NOT to CIOL. If we do, it's like confirming our separated seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.