Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most Miserable U.S. & Canadian Airports: A FlyerTalk Survey with Bloomberg Media

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Miserable U.S. & Canadian Airports: A FlyerTalk Survey with Bloomberg Media

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for participating!

The survey is live at http://www.businessweek.com/interact...ports/#overall
LaGuardia came in as the most frustrating airport, Vancouver as the least.

We received survey responses for 152 airports in the U.S. and Canada. Only airports for which we received more than 30 responses were included in the final ranking, which narrowed the final count to 36 airports. Our final list includes the busiest 25 U.S. airports and six of the seven busiest Canadian airports. There was no statistically significant relationship between the final survey score and the size of the airport as measured by the number of annual passengers.

Some snapshots:
Survey Snapshot:
3,166 Total Respondents
2,250 Completed Surveys
71.1% Completion Rate

Primary Purpose of Travel:
49.3% Leisure
37.9% Business
12.8% Mixed Business & Leisure

Class of Service:
65.5% Economy
15.5% Premium Economy
9.2% First Class
8.9% Business Class

--
Also, we would like to thank the FlyerTalk Community Director and TravelBuzz Moderator team for their assistance.

Last edited by sabimaru; Nov 24, 2014 at 7:07 am
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Well, it seems that you are of the lurker type; so I would have to say "Welcome to FT" although you are more senior to me by about 3.5 years.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Haha! Definitely a lurker, primarily from my days working in television when I was sent all over North America on shoots (I still dread the LGA -> DTW route ... did it 29 times in a year). Thanks for the "Welcome to FT"
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Just took the survey and thought it was a little long but OK. However I for one HATE taking surveys so that just may be me.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:34 pm

Poorly done survey. I gave up after roughly 45 seconds.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Poster

JetAirways77W - for what it's worth, the median response time has been 11 minutes, and approximately half of respondents have completed the survey in less than 10 minutes. Thank you for the feedback and for taking the survey.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Took me about 10 minutes; pretty easy to go through and seemed to hit on the main things I would think about.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Survey worked fine for me...took less than 10 minutes.

A little strange that it only focused on the two airports that happened to be involved in my most recent trip. That happened to be a conference in MCO, a place I don't fly that often and really don't like. (My "insider's tip" for MCO was "Fly to TPA instead." )

If I'd known I was only going to be reviewing one airport (other than my own), I probably would have picked my most-frequent destination instead. This year, it's been DEN, an airport I'd rate pretty well against other major-airline hub airports.

Last edited by pinniped; Aug 27, 2014 at 9:08 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:03 am

Took under 10 minutes. Asked about the airports you departed from/arrived at on your last flight.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
completed in about 10 minutes also, just a consideration though, for cities with multiple airports/terminals, perhaps it would be better to add a question about whether the terminal one originally departed from is the same as the one as one returned to on the return leg (e.g., if you depart from LGA, you could return to JFK/EWR/HPN).
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by neuron
completed in about 10 minutes also, just a consideration though, for cities with multiple airports/terminals, perhaps it would be better to add a question about whether the terminal one originally departed from is the same as the one as one returned to on the return leg (e.g., if you depart from LGA, you could return to JFK/EWR/HPN).
Yes, a methodological flaw. The survey doesn't allow for open-jaw trips or co-terminal returns. On my last RT I happened to go into EWR and out of JFK, so could not complete the process.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Hi, all -
Yes, we did realize going in that we were unable to include open-jaw trips. We thought it would avoid confusion and keep the survey a bit shorter if we only included round trips. If and when we revisit the survey construction (we hope this will become an annual ranking), we will definitely consider allowing a simple way to indicate you're not returning to the same airport, or even doing a multi-stage trip.
Thanks for your understanding and for taking the survey!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I completed the survey yesterday. The final Bloomberg screen I reached after I submitted caused my iPad to go into a continuous loop of crashing and rebooting. The only way I could fix it was to go into airplane mode, close the screen and then reboot back into wifi mode.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sopwith
I completed the survey yesterday. The final Bloomberg screen I reached after I submitted caused my iPad to go into a continuous loop of crashing and rebooting. The only way I could fix it was to go into airplane mode, close the screen and then reboot back into wifi mode.
Thank you for this comment! Having our web team look at the Rankings page on iPad. In the meantime, the end of the survey will redirect to the Bloomberg.com homepage, which is definitely OK!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi, everyone. The survey is open for another week. If you have a few moments, please take the survey or share with your friends and family! Thank you to everyone who has taken it already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.