Community
Wiki Posts
Search

elite status and a sense of entitlement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Heck, if we want to get into really exclusive flyers, there are 12 guys who have us all beat...
Severe luggage restrictions and franken-food kill that deal.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
If you want some related information, here is my self-victimization thread LOL:

Why are there more TR's in F and J than in Y?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by davie355
A luxury good, like a BMW, associates with wealth.
Sometimes (a lot of times) it associates with expression [inappropriate text edited by Moderator]- i.e. people who buy things they do not need, on money they do not have, to impress people they do not like.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 27, 2014 at 7:53 am Reason: Per FT Rules.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Well.......
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Sometimes (a lot of times) it associates with expression (sorry, no intention to offend anyone) [improper text deleted by Moderator from original quote] i.e. people who buy things they do not need, on money they do not have, to impress people they do not like.
I see a whole lot of examples in this thread that fall neatly into the "sour grapes" category.

I buy Business and First class for myself and my wife because I can afford it and the comfort it worth the cost to me. Other people may not have the same priorities. I *don't* do it to impress those who make other choices.

Suggest that some people who believe that we are trying to impress you review their own motivations.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 27, 2014 at 11:34 am Reason: Conforming edit to original quote.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I see a whole lot of examples in this thread that fall neatly into the "sour grapes" category.

I buy Business and First class for myself and my wife because I can afford it and the comfort it worth the cost to me. Other people may not have the same priorities. I *don't* do it to impress those who make other choices.

Suggest that some people who believe that we are trying to impress you review their own motivations.
^^ This
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355
A luxury good, like a BMW, associates with wealth. Wealth may be achieved through any number of ignoble means and, therefore, is not respected in itself.
Maybe I'm dissecting this too much, but I associate BMW with the image that its owner wants to project.

The ironic thing is that the (few) people I know who are truly wealthy actually don't drive flashy cars. If anything, they're likely to downplay their net worth. Many of the people I know who are somewhere in the upper middle class continuum, but not out-and-out F.U. rich, drive flashy cars to give the appearance of greater wealth than they actually have.

Airline status associates with importance.
I associate airline status with simply using a product a lot. (I wish Talisker had an Executive Platinum level.) It doesn't connotate importance to me - neither when I was 1K by actually flying a ton, nor when I've held other statuses obtained through some sort of travel hack. It's just a big game, and you use status to play the game effectively.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Renaldo
"What words to choose to not be thought of as condescending................not look down at those lowly people with no status who fly in Y."
Lowly people?
The whole of OP is rambling, but I think it is clear that OP writing "lowly people" _does not_ mean he thinks of Y passengers as lowly people.

As for status, it's meh. I've never been op-uped despite having status so you are at the end of the day in an economy seat with is still uncomfortable or you are in a business seat which is comfortable and somebody has paid for. I don't rate airline lounges unless you are the sort of person who likes to chow down at one of those all-you-can-eat buffets with low quality food.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
The article this morning on the UA flight diverted because two passengers got in a fight over recline (in E+!) reminded me once again why I work hard to avoid sitting in E. [Note to self: log on to ua.com and upgrade all upcoming flights.]
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by s0ssos

<snip>
... not look down at those lowly people with no status who fly in Y.
By your definition, many of us now having airline status, which by no means is equivalent to "entitlement", have started our flying career with no status, flying in Y. But, honestly, did your "nannies or butler" ever tell you to look down on anyone?

Thinking the OP must have a hilarious time laghing at all the serious answers his not-so-serious post generates. Or maybe s/he is just annoyed at something
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Artpen100
The article this morning on the UA flight diverted because two passengers got in a fight over recline (in E+!) reminded me once again why I work hard to avoid sitting in E. [Note to self: log on to ua.com and upgrade all upcoming flights.]
This is Flyertalk Gold...I'm sure there's a vibrant UA thread about it.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/26/travel...der/index.html

Only thing that could have possibly made this story better would be if a COS and an unaccompanied minor were involved. That would be Flyertalk Platinum.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by pinniped
Maybe I'm dissecting this too much, but I associate BMW with the image that its owner wants to project.

The ironic thing is that the (few) people I know who are truly wealthy actually don't drive flashy cars.
Exactly so -- I know people who hollow themselves out to keep a flashy car on the road (cough *BMW* cough), spending money they haven't got to impress people they don't know.

Whereas if I spend money or miles on comfy airline seats for my wife and me, I don't want my friends or family to know. It's an inherently private reward.

I don't think I'll ever be a BMW guy. I like them a lot but whenever I spot one my reptile brain can't help whispering: idiot.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:35 pm

The ironic thing is that the (few) people I know who are truly wealthy actually don't drive flashy cars. If anything, they're likely to downplay their net worth. Many of the people I know who are somewhere in the upper middle class continuum, but not out-and-out F.U. rich, drive flashy cars to give the appearance of greater wealth than they actually have.
Indeed. Among people I know, it's almost a perfect inverse correlation between how much money one makes and how cheap the car is. The guy who owns an insanely successful dental practice, drives a mid 2000s Camry. The guy that whines all the time about how broke he is, leases a BMW.

I fell into the trap of driving the "right" car. I was young and stupid though. I got older and wiser and realized that the only people who are impressed by what I drive....I don't really value their opinion in the first place.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

I look at it this way: *I* don't personally feel like I look down on anyone else, but I definitely think the airlines themselves do - and actively demonstrate it at every possible customer touchpoint.

And over time, by firmly establishing that culture and expectation that infrequent travelers are to be treated purposely badly at all times, I'm not surprised that some elite travelers start to think that way (even subconsciously) as well.

To me, this aspect has almost nothing to do with the quality of the respective hard products in Y, J, or F. It's all about how airline employees treat people every day, and how other people see and react to that treatment.
On the UA flight they announced that if someone wants to upgrade to a bigger economy plus seat that is unoccupied to talk to a flight attendant.

It does make financial sense for the airlines to treat certain people poorly, in hopes they'd spend more money. Though in a lot of other industries you treat people well in hopes they would come back.

I think Singapore Changi airport does it well. They have nice lounges. But they also have sleeping areas inside the airport for the people who don't have nice lounge. There should be a minimum level of respect/courtesy, regardless of what class you are flying or whether you have status.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
On the UA flight they announced that if someone wants to upgrade to a bigger economy plus seat that is unoccupied to talk to a flight attendant.

It does make financial sense for the airlines to treat certain people poorly, in hopes they'd spend more money. Though in a lot of other industries you treat people well in hopes they would come back.
I think there are two separate issues here. One is airlines in general trying to carve out an E+ product to sell...although asking the FA's to sell it onboard feels a bit crass. One could argue that this is genuine new product development - a new option for fliers! - although the counterargument is simply that E- has gotten so bad that E+ is really what a baseline Y product used to be. (Truth is probably somewhere in the middle...I don't recall many 36" Y seats even in the "good ol' days".) In any case, I do hope E+ products survive.

My problem is how airlines intentionally make the customer service and other elements of the soft product disrespectful and as bad as possible with the that it will encourage people to reach elite status. At the time an airline is forcing you to wait in a queue they aren't even trying to upsell their "elite for a day" product: they're just trying to make you mad and, I guess in some weird way, want to use their product more to get to the next level.

I guess I would be fundamentally concerned if a company's business strategy was to treat people with such great disrespect that they are willing to pay to be slightly-less-disrespected. But if the entire airline cartel is doing it together (as cartels usually do), I guess it works. What are we going to do, not fly? This is life under the fist of the system the DoJ has given us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.