Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking To Live The Dream

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's very hard to give you any real advice from what you've written. What are you looking for? Is this bumming around or a cultural trip? Do you want to meet other people or go backpacking? Are you outdoorsy or not?

Basically, what homework have you done yourself and what are your ideas?
I guess for some reason my response never went through. I just want to experience new people, new cultures, new countries, and give back to the countries I visit.

Originally Posted by emma69
I am not sure where you are getting your numbers from - this is what I found:

"An E-1 in the Army National Guard is called a Private; in the Air National Guard it is an Airman Basic. An E-1 is paid at the active-duty rate of $1,467.60 per month during basic training. Once basic training is finished, an E-1 in the Army or Air National Guard earns $195.68 for each National Guard drill weekend.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8118151_national-guard-basic-training-pay.html"

Out of that you may or may not need to pay Federal / State taxes (US tax laws confuse me - I believe it varies state to state)

Even if you kept every single penny, no taxes, no other deductions, that is only $17k.

You also need money to spend during that time - deodorant, toothpaste, shaving cream, snacks, sodas, socializing during your downtime, extra kit to make your life more comfortable (my first year with the military was extortionately expensive, as I purchased the 'gucci' kit - lighter weight warmer sleeping bag, extra t shirts for PT / to be worn under uniform, gloves, hats, Maglite torches, chinagraph pencils, boot polish and brushes, brasso, dusters, a decent iron, goretex waterproofs, a warm jacket, etc etc). I would plan on spending a fair amount at the PX to be honest, not saving it all. Yes, room and board may be taken care of, but there are some things that are going to make that year much more bearable.

As others have mentioned, your regular day job once you have completed your training will likely dictate your travel ability (time off, but also things like what they are going to pay you). $195 / weekend is not a lot, and you will be back to the real world paying for rent, food, car, insurance, and all the other things that add up.
I get paid more than that. I have a 10 week basic + a 45 week AIT. I am also close to becoming an E-2 and maybe even an E-3 before I ship out. When I get back I will most likely try and go on a trip within a few weeks so I won't be going out and getting an apartment right away either. I also already have a car and the insurance isn't too high on it as it stands now.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Welcome to FT! I like your enthusiasm and hope it's the start of a life-long love of traveling! Here's my two cents based on your questions/comments which I've bolded

1. What are the best countries in your opinion that aren't too costly and why?

Well this depends to some extent on your hobbies, likes, dislikes, etc. For someone staying in hostels or couchsurfing, backpacking around, etc. a lot more countries can be visited cheaply. Whereas someone who only wants a certain level of hotel and amenities could find almost every country to be costly.

While not perfect or 100% up to date, websites like Lonely Planet typically have a rundown of average daily costs in their country and city specific information. I wouldn't take those as ironclad truth, but it will give you a general idea of the magnitude of cost differences.

Many online travel "magazines" and blogs run articles on cheap destinations or how to do country X economically. Again I wouldn't plan a trip on those articles as they tend to be generalized, but it can give you a starting point for further research at least. Just try googling some key phrases and you'll find some stuff.

Exchange rates obviously factor into the equation, which isn't the greatest news for those of us coming from the U.S. in many cases lately. While an unfavorable exchange rate doesn't mean you can't find ways to visit said country affordably, it does raise the bar. (Likewise a favorable exchange rate doesn't always mean that prices won't still be high and partially negate your exchange savings.) Sites like XE.com and others are good for researching that.

2. In connection with the first question, what is a good amount to take with me if I go for 2-3 weeks?

Little to none, as mentioned upthread, in most cases. Use your ATM card to withdraw when you get there.

3. How long in advance should you buy the plane ticket(s) to get a good deal?
I tend to travel more on award flights so I don't have a real good general answer for that. It does depend on the particular routing and time of year, too. I'm sure others with more knowledge can chime in. I do know that the question has come up many times in the context of various destinations, so if you search around a bit on FT, you'll likely find some answers inputs on that area. Try the destination specific forums, maybe.

The budget thing isn't quite known yet. Apparently after I come back from training (whole year) I will have around $20k+ saved up. My starting budget should be quite nice but I don't want to spend that all. I guess the budget could be $4k tops per trip

I assume you'll have a day job besides your reserve duty? Otherwise your $20K won't last very long even for your day-to-day living, not to mention traveling. Plus having vacation time and ability to use it - variable depending on your job. I'm not saying not to travel, but just plan carefully and pace yourself as necessary.

Spend some time all over FT - there's lots to learn about airlines, hotels, destinations, trip reports, even a budget travel forum. And of course other more general travel resources out there, too.
Tons of help there! Thanks!

I keep wondering why everyone thinks I'm not going to get another job when I get back lol, I just thought that it was obvious I was. Oh well, yes I will have another job when I get back.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Shane94M
I know you only get paid for days you worked as I mentioned already. You obviously don't see where I said I would have around 20k saved up when I get back from basic + AIT training. Not to mention I got a job that has a 45 week AIT.

Thanks for the advice. I did see when doing research to get a debit card that is cheap to use oversees so I guess that's along the same lines.
As emma69 pointed out, you're barely going to have $17k assuming you spend none of the pay you get during basic and AIT. That said, you have your senior year of high school to start working on this $20k your budgeting for.

Also, is a job where you get 4-6 weeks of vacation time (minimum) something you're confident you can get?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
As emma69 pointed out, you're barely going to have $17k assuming you spend none of the pay you get during basic and AIT. That said, you have your senior year of high school to start working on this $20k your budgeting for.

Also, is a job where you get 4-6 weeks of vacation time (minimum) something you're confident you can get?
I replied to emma69 but I guess it got deleted or something. I will definitely be getting more than 17k. I'll be at basic for 10 weeks and my AIT is 45 weeks, not to mention I'm close to becoming an E-2 or even an E-3 before I even get shipped out. The amount between an E-1 and an E-2 is quite the difference as well. Also my job in the army is Radar Repair so you can got a pretty good job with that (some even work at the Pentagon) and I'm sure if I have several options I can start looking into which company is giving me the vacation time I want.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:14 pm

I'll counsel you as I did innumerable soldiers during my career:

1. Dreaming is fine, but first DO YOUR JOB. Right now you have high school to finish, with a performance level that will assure your entry into the service. Screw up this year, kiss your enlistment goodbye.

2. Keep off the substances. You can't drink legally. Even if you're in a state with legalized marijuana, you won't fit the age requirements and the Feds don't approve. Any substance abuse will KO your career.

3. Stay on the right side of the law. Any legal difficulties will require a waiver for your enlistment, and with the RIF going on, you may not get one.

4. Get your financial house in order. Everything costs more than you expect. You earn at less than E1 for your first 4 months, then at $18378 per annum for E1 <2yr. When and if promoted E2, $20603 with a bump around a grand for E3. You'll have to pay Fed taxes, maybe state depending on where you enter service from. As others have stated above, you'll have other expenses as well.

5. A 94M requires a security clearance of at least Secret. Make sure there are no skeletons in the closet, and don't acquire any.

6. When you're doing well in AIT, come back here and we'll help you plan some trips (assuming you already have a good job in the real world lined up).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:19 pm

I replied to emma69 but I guess it got deleted or something. I will definitely be getting more than 17k. I'll be at basic for 10 weeks and my AIT is 45 weeks, not to mention I'm close to becoming an E-2 or even an E-3 before I even get shipped out. The amount between an E-1 and an E-2 is quite the difference as well. Also my job in the army is Radar Repair so you can got a pretty good job with that (some even work at the Pentagon) and I'm sure if I have several options I can start looking into which company is giving me the vacation time I want.
The difference between E-1 and E-3 ~$270/month. At this point, I'm not sure if you've actually done the math behind this, or if there's something you haven't posted. Here's what I get: according to the info I've found, you don't get BAH or BAS during BCT and AIT, so (assuming you're an E-3) your total pay is going to be a bit more more than $1800/month. Assuming an annual 1% raise (based on past trends), let's round it up to $1850/month. 55 weeks is 13.75 months, so total pay for basic and AIT is $25,437. A quick tax calculation shows ~$2400 in federal taxes--hopefully you live in a state with no income tax, but if not, then you'll have to factor that in.

So, assuming you want $20k at the end of this, that leaves ~$3000 for a year's worth of expenses. My brother went through OSUT earlier this year, and I believe there were a few deductions for uniforms and whatnot, so you'll have to subtract that out. Then you mentioned car insurance. What about phone service? Saving for something other than travel? How about all the small things you'll need--toiletries, clothing? All that said, I don't think it's unreasonable to put away a good amount for travel (maybe $5k?).

As for where to go, 84fiero pretty well covered it based on the info you've posted. To get any more detailed info, you need to figure out what's important to you--do you want to see ancient history? More recent history? Language? Art? Otherwise, you're more or less asking for a mind reader. But again, you've got plenty of time to figure out that sort of thing, so good luck.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by udontknowme
I'll counsel you as I did innumerable soldiers during my career:

1. Dreaming is fine, but first DO YOUR JOB. Right now you have high school to finish, with a performance level that will assure your entry into the service. Screw up this year, kiss your enlistment goodbye.

2. Keep off the substances. You can't drink legally. Even if you're in a state with legalized marijuana, you won't fit the age requirements and the Feds don't approve. Any substance abuse will KO your career.

3. Stay on the right side of the law. Any legal difficulties will require a waiver for your enlistment, and with the RIF going on, you may not get one.

4. Get your financial house in order. Everything costs more than you expect. You earn at less than E1 for your first 4 months, then at $18378 per annum for E1 <2yr. When and if promoted E2, $20603 with a bump around a grand for E3. You'll have to pay Fed taxes, maybe state depending on where you enter service from. As others have stated above, you'll have other expenses as well.

5. A 94M requires a security clearance of at least Secret. Make sure there are no skeletons in the closet, and don't acquire any.

6. When you're doing well in AIT, come back here and we'll help you plan some trips (assuming you already have a good job in the real world lined up).
I'm already enlisted lol. I've already gone through MEPS and swore in. I have RSP until July 13th (my ship date). I just wanted to get some general ideas so I was hurrying to plan when I got back. Thanks!

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
The difference between E-1 and E-3 ~$270/month. At this point, I'm not sure if you've actually done the math behind this, or if there's something you haven't posted. Here's what I get: according to the info I've found, you don't get BAH or BAS during BCT and AIT, so (assuming you're an E-3) your total pay is going to be a bit more more than $1800/month. Assuming an annual 1% raise (based on past trends), let's round it up to $1850/month. 55 weeks is 13.75 months, so total pay for basic and AIT is $25,437. A quick tax calculation shows ~$2400 in federal taxes--hopefully you live in a state with no income tax, but if not, then you'll have to factor that in.

So, assuming you want $20k at the end of this, that leaves ~$3000 for a year's worth of expenses. My brother went through OSUT earlier this year, and I believe there were a few deductions for uniforms and whatnot, so you'll have to subtract that out. Then you mentioned car insurance. What about phone service? Saving for something other than travel? How about all the small things you'll need--toiletries, clothing? All that said, I don't think it's unreasonable to put away a good amount for travel (maybe $5k?).

As for where to go, 84fiero pretty well covered it based on the info you've posted. To get any more detailed info, you need to figure out what's important to you--do you want to see ancient history? More recent history? Language? Art? Otherwise, you're more or less asking for a mind reader. But again, you've got plenty of time to figure out that sort of thing, so good luck.
I haven't done research on E-1 to E-3 pay rates recently but when I was talking to the guy to get my pay thing set up, he said the difference between a E-1 and E-2 was $200 a month (active duty pay which includes BT and AIT). As for all the little things to pay for, I will most likely be living by myself or maybe with a roommate so it's not like I have to buy a lot or support a family. Generally speaking, I go shopping for clothes twice a year (about $50 to $100 each time) and buy a new pair of shoes once a year (<$80). I don't need a lot to live off of and military benefits will also help with lowering the cost down a bit.

All really good help though, thanks!

Last edited by Shane94M; Aug 21, 2014 at 4:54 pm
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:41 pm

I'm already enlisted lol. I've already gone through MEPS and swore in. I have RSP until July 13th (my ship date).
Then my advice goes double. You have to make your RSP assemblies, maintain your weight, stay off substances and stay out of trouble or you'll find yourself separated --- and without that magic Honorable Discharge.

As for "lol" serving isn't a joke. Get and keep your head straight and have a decent career, or don't and head for the undesirable employee class. Travel is a lot easier if the former.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by udontknowme
Then my advice goes double. You have to make your RSP assemblies, maintain your weight, stay off substances and stay out of trouble or you'll find yourself separated --- and without that magic Honorable Discharge.

As for "lol" serving isn't a joke. Get and keep your head straight and have a decent career, or don't and head for the undesirable employee class. Travel is a lot easier if the former.
I think you took that "lol" the wrong way. I just said that because you thought I wasn't already enlisted, but I was. Not relevant though. All I would ask is that you don't assume I won't make weight, attend RSP, and do drugs. My weight is no where being considered in danger, I have already put RSP before anything else (including my current job), and I don't do drugs.

I'm thankful you are giving me these tips, but it's just a bit excessive considering it's all I ever heard my recruiter say before MEPS and my parents as well.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
While I respect the dream, as a former 19A, focus on your MOS first. Forget about your pay grade and whether you are promoted to E3 prior to leaving AIT.

Save your money. I'd take at least half of what you are paid every month and put it away. You will live in the barracks and have meals at the DFAC. You will not get BAH or BAS because of this (I'm assuming you are single). Basic will not provide a lot of time, but you will have many peers during AIT at Redstone who will spend their money on stuff they don't need because they consider themselves "rich" Cars, rims, all sorts of stuff. I've had too many soldiers broke and in huge debt upon arrival and inprocessing.

Obviously it's a different situation as you will be in the Guard and not the regular army. You focus in the short term should be your senior year. Do well, don't slack. Your 94M training will yield you a secret clearance, which is desirable in the civilian world. Start exploring the job market on where you can leverage 94M and secret clearance while still being relatively close to an installation for your training.

Lastly, and your real question, I'd look at SE Asia to start. Can be cheap, great cultural experience, definitely a spot I would want to spent 2+ week if I was that young again.

Feel free to PM if you have questions about the Army. I was not a 94M or an EM, but I do that that experience in the post GWOT world.

Good luck!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMFlagg
While I respect the dream, as a former 19A, focus on your MOS first. Forget about your pay grade and whether you are promoted to E3 prior to leaving AIT.

Save your money. I'd take at least half of what you are paid every month and put it away. You will live in the barracks and have meals at the DFAC. You will not get BAH or BAS because of this (I'm assuming you are single). Basic will not provide a lot of time, but you will have many peers during AIT at Redstone who will spend their money on stuff they don't need because they consider themselves "rich" Cars, rims, all sorts of stuff. I've had too many soldiers broke and in huge debt upon arrival and inprocessing.

Obviously it's a different situation as you will be in the Guard and not the regular army. You focus in the short term should be your senior year. Do well, don't slack. Your 94M training will yield you a secret clearance, which is desirable in the civilian world. Start exploring the job market on where you can leverage 94M and secret clearance while still being relatively close to an installation for your training.

Lastly, and your real question, I'd look at SE Asia to start. Can be cheap, great cultural experience, definitely a spot I would want to spent 2+ week if I was that young again.

Feel free to PM if you have questions about the Army. I was not a 94M or an EM, but I do that that experience in the post GWOT world.

Good luck!
Did you mean to put 19D?

My senior year should go smoothly. I've always had a 3.5+ GPA throughout high school.

Jobs in the civilian world really helped me decide on 94M because I know they will want to hire someone with that experience.

As for the answer to the original threads question, thanks! I definitely wanted to do something in Asia. My first thought was Japan or South Korea but those can be quite pricey. Considering going to Thailand and while there traveling to Singapore for a few days. I heard that is cheaper than actually staying in Singapore. Also wanted to go to Nepal (Not SE Asia, I know) because I have a friend from there and he says it's great.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Finding a job with only a high school diploma may be getting a little better, but it is still not a sure thing. As to vacation time, the companies I have worked for generally grant about 1 week vacation the first year up to about 2 weeks at year 5. You may not have as much time as you expect. Since you mentioned Korea, you could probably meet a fellow soldier, get on base (still can't use the PX or Commissary, but you can eat in the AAFES Food Court), and get to know others in your MOS. SE Asia is another option - The Philippines are super cheap; Thailand somewhat cheap. Nepal, AFAIK, has some difficulties in getting a visa. I respect your eagerness for travel. You have your life ahead of you - take care, don't get into bad situations, and work hard. Best wishes from an old Army retiree.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Join the NAVY and see the world!

(including the two-thirds that is water, roughly two-thirds of your time)

Seriously, though, it's a great thing to be able to carve out both time and *some* money at the same time, and too bad there's no "gap year" in the U.S. like in some European countries.

As mentioned, it WILL cost more than you might expect (take half the clothes, twice the money), but favoring cheap countries can go a long way. SE Asia and parts of South America are known for this. Younger people also are better able to do stuff like stay in $5 hostels, pick apples or tend bar to make money to keep going, or barnstorm around Cambodia or Laos. The older you get, the more curmudgeonly you can get about deprivations involved.

You'll also hear from people that you really should be spending the money on a house down payment, more education or something like that. How much to listen is always a tough call, as our cultural bent is toward deferred gratification but Alaska cruises are full of people in failing health who waited too long.

Finally, the chapters in "The Four-Hour Work Week" by Tim Ferriss on mini-retirement auditions are interesting, and he writes from the perspective of someone who got to travel a lot in his 20s.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:11 pm

[QUOTE=relangford;23403547]Since you mentioned Korea, you could probably meet a fellow soldier, get on base (still can't use the PX or Commissary, but you can eat in the AAFES Food Court)/QUOTE]

I thought guard/Reserve had exchange and commissary privileges--is it because OP wouldn't be SOFA sponsored?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by relangford
Finding a job with only a high school diploma may be getting a little better, but it is still not a sure thing. As to vacation time, the companies I have worked for generally grant about 1 week vacation the first year up to about 2 weeks at year 5. You may not have as much time as you expect. Since you mentioned Korea, you could probably meet a fellow soldier, get on base (still can't use the PX or Commissary, but you can eat in the AAFES Food Court), and get to know others in your MOS. SE Asia is another option - The Philippines are super cheap; Thailand somewhat cheap. Nepal, AFAIK, has some difficulties in getting a visa. I respect your eagerness for travel. You have your life ahead of you - take care, don't get into bad situations, and work hard. Best wishes from an old Army retiree.
The thing is though, I may not have a college degree when I get back, but I will have the experience from AIT training to get me a job. 94M is a selective job and has a security clearance so it's great for finding a civilian job when you get back. Also I can research a few colleges and there are colleges that will give me an associates degree based on/around radar repair after passing AIT. All I would have to do is pass the general classes (english, math, etc.) for the associates degree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.