Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

FA asked me to stop watching movie because of passenger complaint.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Exactly! How ridiculous...your passenger was being stupid and the FA weak. Good for you that you didn't escalate; I probably would have been more argumentative. Ask for some compensation!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by xooz
Sounds like you effectively had no IFE for this flight. Could ask for something...
. . .not sure where you get that idea. The OP was asked, not required, to change to another selection. "FA said nothing wrong but they will appreciate if I just change it." So effectively, one film on the IFE was not available to this particular flier - seems a bit much to ask for compensation.

If I had been in the OP's shoes, I would have addressed my neighbor directly, suggesting that she could have asked me directly, rather than going through the FA. I would have also suggested that she complain to the airline as they offered it in the first place.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
There was no reason for the airline to request that you not watch something they offer on their IFE. While not doing it on the expectation of receiving compensation, I'd write the airline and ask why their FA is getting involved in what a passenger is watching, particularly a program that the airline offers for viewing. Taken too far, there would be no end of passenger A being asked or cajoled into changing films because passenegr B doesn't like it for whatever reason.

Why was your seatmate watching your screen anyway?

What airline was it? No need to keep it secret, people post about their questions and complaints on the airline-specific forums on here every day.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: HH Silver
My questions is, why would anyone complain about not being able to watch that gawd awful movie? She actually saved you a couple hours of your life, that you were able to do something more useful, like sit in silence.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

was it annoying that another passenger was bothered? yes.
was it worth making a stink about? no.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Exactly! How ridiculous...your passenger was being stupid and the FA weak. Good for you that you didn't escalate; I probably would have been more argumentative. Ask for some compensation!
What exactly would you ask for, a Bluray or DVD of the movie?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by 84fiero
What airline was it? No need to keep it secret, people post about their questions and complaints on the airline-specific forums on here every day.
Perhaps Dafuq [off-topic reference deleted by Moderator] doesn't want people checking to see what the IFE choices were on that particular flight.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 20, 2014 at 9:38 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Dafuq
Can the FA really ask you to stop watching something which is already on their entertainment system?
He/she can certainly ask. You can also reply that you're part way through the movie and prefer to see how it ends. If anyone has a problem, they can not snoop on you, switch seats, or write the airline and tell them they are providing inappropriate IFE. None of which is your problem.

Or you can switch to something else, depending on how accomodating you want to be.

That's a goofy movie to have on IFE though.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC
I would have asked you to change it......to save 2 hours of your life that you'll never get back....it was a crappy movie! I did like him in Taken where he went all Jason Bourne and beat the crap out of those bad guys.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chatmax
I would have asked you to change it...
And I would have told you to mind your own business.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Without details such as to/from and the name of the carrier, there is little OP can expect and there is no reason not to provide the information.

2. As a general matter, it is entirely appropriate for the passenger to have raised the issue with crew and for crew to communicate with OP. That is part of the crew's job.

3. By OP's own admission, he wasn't ordered or directed to turn the movie off, rather he was asked if he would. He could have refused, but didn't.

This is no different than all of the silly threads where people kvetch that crew asked whether they would be willing to change seats to acommodate a family or somesuch. Nothing wrong with asking and nothing wrong with saying no.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
I agree that there's nothing wrong with asking, as long as there really is nothing wrong with saying "no." But was it really a request, or perhaps a polite instruction? If the pax things its the former, but the FA thinks its the latter, and then the FA construes it as a failure to comply, then there could be significant repercusssions, which are certainly not worth it.

I think the OP, while doing nothing wrong, was wise not to escalate and simply comply. I too think I'd contact the airline and see if I could get some compensation, maybe some miles. It's not worth losing any sleep, but is worth an email, in my view. tls
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:54 pm

I'm struggling to understand the FA's thought process.

A woman takes issue with her seatmate's IFE. The plane has empty seats. Why not immediately offer to move the woman to one of those seats?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by davie355
I'm struggling to understand the FA's thought process.

A woman takes issue with her seatmate's IFE. The plane has empty seats. Why not immediately offer to move the woman to one of those seats?
I agree.

I think the FA should have replied that he/she cannot ask the other passenger to stop watching something the airline provided. Where does this end? Ask the adjacent to stop drinking alcohol? Stop eating meat? Etc? A bit of a slippery slope, no?

Offering to reaccomodate the "offended" passenger seems a good idea.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
What exactly would you ask for, a Bluray or DVD of the movie?
I hear it's pretty rubbish. But the behaviour towards the OP is just not acceptable, and I would think a goodwill gesture is in order. Some miles, an MCO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.