How to lose $41K at checkpoint...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to lose $41K at checkpoint...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A series of purchases/payments necessary for rural medical care in some parts of the world doesn't take place in a timely manner -- if at all -- with personal checks, money orders or retail bank transfers when the poor family needs to procure and/or pay for all the medicines and supply it to the hospital/clinic doctors/nurses for treatment themselves. In such situations, ending up with trickled money isn't generally ideal and adds stress to an already stressful situation. Having all the funds sent as a lump-sum makes sense since travel expenses and other transactional costs rise substantially if the poor family have to repeatedly run around more because the money was trickled to them rather than sent in lump sum.

Lots of rural hospitals/clinics/physicians/nurses and pharmacies in Asia and Africa don't take ATM or other bank cards or don't take them from
everybody; nor do the individuals who a poor family may need to pay to get the potentially life-saving transfers (for example bone marrow transfers) arranged and covered to have the potentially life-saving medical care for the child. And when a poor person is an ethnic or religious minority in an area where communal conflicts are long-standing, things tend to get harder for such poor families desperate to legally save a life and fortunate enough to have a foreign sponsor barely willing and able to transfer the necessary money -- which had exceeded $10,000 -- for the medical treatment. This isn't imagination. This is the real world.
I have lived and worked in areas like you describe. DR Congo. Northern Bangladesh. Northern Angola. Highlands of Papua New Guinea. To name a few. In those places $10,000 will buy you the entire hospital. Medical treatment simply isn't that expensive in those places.

If a patient needs complicated care that can't be found in those areas, they go to the city where it is available. And those places accept credit cards.

I've spent a couple of decades in those parts of the world. Again, there is no legal reason to need $10,000 in cash.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I have lived and worked in areas like you describe. DR Congo. Northern Bangladesh. Northern Angola. Highlands of Papua New Guinea. To name a few. In those places $10,000 will buy you the entire hospital. Medical treatment simply isn't that expensive in those places.

If a patient needs complicated care that can't be found in those areas, they go to the city where it is available. And those places accept credit cards.

I've spent a couple of decades in those parts of the world. Again, there is no legal reason to need $10,000 in cash.
Based on the mentions above, you don't seem to have lived and worked in the kinds of places about which I'm referring.

You seem to be talking about limited areas where (natural resource) extractive industries are the norm and foreign multinational companies come in and run the those shows. Not all areas in the world are like that -- especially not all those poor areas where there is no nearby operational presence of large scale extractive industries with lots of foreigners running the show and exploiting it to the max.

Getting legitimates medicines and other supplies for tests and treatment of some diseases/disorders and needing to find and utilize organ or marrow donors can easily run a family -- in even the poorest rural parts of Bangladesh or India or Myanmar -- well over $10,000 in cash very, very quickly for some diseases. And the money burns up faster if they have to get to and stay in big cities for treatment. The money may turn out to be wasted and have a low degree of delivering successful results, but it's entirely legitimate for a poor family to need and spend $10,000 in cash to try to save their beloved, seriously ill child with some small chance of living into adulthood.

Most of the poor people in these parts of the world have credit cards? What a dream world.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL,EK
In places like Sudan and Iran, cash is the only option (Western cards don't work there) and for an extended stay, $10K could be needed.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I find that the transaction costs between USD and GBP are quite low - in fact rather less than the exorbitant costs that my regular US bank charges for handling US$ entirely within the US.

What I do find ridiculous though is that, if my US retail business has a particularly strong Friday, Saturday and Sunday, our bank makes us go through all sorts of hoops to pay in more than $10,000 in cash (most sales are by card so this is not all that frequent). I always ask what Walmart does, but never get a straight answer.
It's a IRS requirement that any transaction over $10k in CASH be reported. As I posted earlier. If you go to Wal-Mart buy $10k+ in junk and pay in CASH you'll be filling out an IRS form that requires ID be presented. It's done to prevent money laundering. Heck if you buy over 10k in gift cards regardless of the method of payment you'll also be required to fill one out. Applies to all companies/persons that do transactions over 10k in CASH for any type of purchase, or regardless of method of payment over 10k purchase of gift cards, money orders, any cash equivalent.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
A lot of rambling here about need for cash in exotic places, etc. That is why you CAN take any amount of money or cash equivalents out of the U.S. You just have to fill out the form.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by relangford
A lot of rambling here about need for cash in exotic places, etc. That is why you CAN take any amount of money or cash equivalents out of the U.S. You just have to fill out the form.
Sorry, the thread seems to have diverted from carrying cash to wiring funds, the requirements of banks to report those transactions, and broader anti-money-laundering controls.

You are quite right about carrying cash. U.S. controls regarding the carrying of cash aren't that onerous. I think one of the problems is that some people are unaware of the reporting requirement or fear that the reporting requirement is a restriction, an opportunity for graft, or a creating a taxation liability.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I think one of the problems is that some people are unaware of the reporting requirement
That no doubt is true of some people, but not of the lady in the OP who a) went to great lengths to conceal the money, and b) when questioned and given an opportunity to make a declaration, made a grossly incorrect one.

Very rarely when I read these stories do I see a situation where someone simply had a lot of money on them, carried in an ordinary manner, and when asked about it, made a truthful declaration, getting innocently caught by a regulation that they didn't know about that required them to declare it proactively. Rather, it almost always involves one if not several aspects which made it clear that the person was deliberately trying to avoid declaring the money.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For those who are guessing about the motive of the $41k lady; this is the line of questioning flying out of DTW or ATL on TPAC flight by departure CBP agents in the jetbridge after boarding pass scan:

Where are you going to?
How long are you staying there for?
What is the purpose of your visit?
Who are you staying with?
How much money are you carrying?
Are you sure you are not carrying more than $10,000?
You have to declare money you are taking out of the US if it is more than $10,000.

The DL TPAC departure gates have the direct escalator to custom hall where "private screening rooms" are available.

Last edited by tentseller; Aug 13, 2014 at 1:33 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
What has happened to the costs of sending money between OECD countries (eg US to UK) as a result of these surveillance/control measures is not comparable to what has happened to the cost of sending labor remittances from say the US to Haiti or from London to Tajikistan since the post-9/11 crackdown on international money transfers of various sorts.
Why is it in the US's (or the UK's) interest to make these transfers easy? We'd much rather the money be spent at home.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nkedel
Why is it in the US's (or the UK's) interest to make these transfers easy? We'd much rather the money be spent at home.
It's better that those poor countries benefit from cheaper, personal remittances from abroad than: (a) become (more) reliant upon foreign state (taxpayer) handouts; and/or (b) or become economically more desperate and willing to look elsewhere for "enrichment", unjust or otherwise, that may further destabilize those remittance-"dependent" states that can conceivably become failed states or fail more massively. A state that fails or is failing more exports more people -- with legal immigration compliance but an afterthought for those more desperate people.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
It's better that those poor countries benefit from cheaper, personal remittances from abroad than: (a) become (more) reliant upon foreign state (taxpayer) handouts; and/or (b) or become economically more desperate and willing to look elsewhere for "enrichment", unjust or otherwise, that may further destabilize those remittance-"dependent" states that can conceivably become failed states or fail more massively. A state that fails or is failing more exports more people -- with legal immigration compliance but an afterthought for those more desperate people.
Putting reporting limits doesn't affect the cost or reliability of personal remittances.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Putting reporting limits doesn't affect the cost or reliability of personal remittances.
It's not reporting limits, it's reporting requirements. Putting in reporting requirements does, directly and indirectly, affect the cost -- in money and in time -- of remittance transfers. Not that everyone, whether playing ostrich or not, cares the same way (if at all). Q.E.D. Especially when paranoia about drug money, terrorism financing and tax evasion drives all of this money surveillance and control mentality.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 14, 2014 at 12:31 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:25 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Structuring bank transactions in the US to try to avoid bank reporting requirements may run foul of our laws too.
:-)
GUWonder you are truly incomparable!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:42 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
However it is only 10 k IF you are traveling together on entry to the US
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
I have seen the form coming landing internationally, I have never seen a form leaving any country. Even the signs mentioning the 10K limit at departure, do not mention where or how someone might declare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.