Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Be careful what you're working on up there...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Questionable actions by the person who took the photo and tweeted it but highlights the caution that must be taken when working in public.

Universal’s brand-new water park may not be opening for some three or four years, but information continues to leak out at a steady trickle (not surprising, really, considering just how thoroughly the Springfield expansion and, of course, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley were spoiled months, if not years, before their debuts).
This past weekend, EatingWDW casually dropped something of a bombshell, tweeting that a passenger on her flight had “Volcano Island” and the Universal logo on his laptop’s desktop

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2014/...ersal-orlando/
Perhaps a good advert for a privacy screen on the laptop!!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hardly a questionable act, there's no reasonable expectation of privacy on a plane. Don't want someone to see it? Don't have it visible in such a public space.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Hardly a questionable act, there's no reasonable expectation of privacy on a plane. Don't want someone to see it? Don't have it visible in such a public space.
Exactly. This is why companies fit their laptops with privacy screens in the first place.

And let's put this in TravelBuzz, since it's not really tech-related.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Aug 11, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not really sure what that blob reveals...I've seem plenty more interesting stuff relating to upcoming merger deals.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I was once on a train heading to a client to present our bid for some work, and the two people sitting in front of me opened up their laptop and started running through a presentation for the same work as me. Sadly, their work was very good and less expensive.

As we'd already submitted our written proposal, there wasn't any opportunity to change anything. However, at least I could talk intelligently in the debrief when my boss asked, "how did we lose this one?"
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

I like looking at people when they talk loudly into their phones about a particular deal and pretend to take notes...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:31 pm

What would the ethics be if you are on a plane and there's a guy working for a competitor sitting in front of you, screen in your field of vision, and he's working on something that ideally would stay within his company.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
What would the ethics be if you are on a plane and there's a guy working for a competitor sitting in front of you, screen in your field of vision, and he's working on something that ideally would stay within his company.
I'd use it to my full advantage. There can't be any more expectation of privacy on a plane than on a bus or a hotel lobby. I almost never work on sensitive information while flying.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'd use it to my full advantage. There can't be any more expectation of privacy on a plane than on a bus or a hotel lobby. I almost never work on sensitive information while flying.
It's probably unethical but it's certainly not illegal.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:14 pm
Suspended

True, but ethics/moral high ground and investment banking have never really been close bedfellows!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
True, but ethics/moral high ground and investment banking have never really been close bedfellows!
Or with lawyers
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
@:-) "Please check the seat pocket for any personal items before you leave the aircraft." @:-)

I once boarded a flight and found a plastic sleeve full of documents in the seat pocket. Looked like plans for an business expansion, projected cost/income targets, that sort of thing.

Fortunately for the guy who left it behind, (a) I'm in a completely different line of work, (b) it had his name and phone number on the plastic sleeve, and (c) I was able to give it to a FA who got it to a GA, probably in time to page the guy before he left the airport.

This was a short route where the same aircraft flies back and forth all day. I can understand forgetting on a long-haul if you'd put it in the seat back hours ago, but it seems kind of irresponsible to have forgotten about it on a 40 minute sector.

Last edited by RadioGirl; Aug 12, 2014 at 12:13 am
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
That is called competitive intelligence - no ethic issue there at all.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by jaysona
That is called competitive intelligence - no ethic issue there at all.
We could debate the ethics, but there are relatively few sectors and countries where it could be argued there is "no ethic issue there at all" to using accidentally exposed competitive intelligence to gain an advantage.

I guess you may consider yourself a superior businessman, but I'm pretty sure that others better than you exhibit much stronger morals.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've worked for 3 different large firms where competitive bids were standard practice: we would *not* use accidentally-gained nonpublic competitive intelligence in our bid. In fact, depending on the circumstance, we might quarantine the person who accidentally received the information. (e.g., Take them off the bid team.)

Sounds draconian and almost backwards, but if you use the information you're just setting yourself up for a bid protest if you win. Clients ranged from midcap to large cap traded firms to government agencies, nearly all of whom have audited and regimented procurement processes. Maybe in a startup environment things are different...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.