Wiki Posts
Search

Dog on the lap?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Dog on the lap?

At T3 this morning I noticed a passenger walking through the arrivals gates with a dog on a lead. I thought it was strange (wasn't a guide dog).

Anyway, I ended up in the lift with them. The owner was talking to their driver about where the dog was going to sit. She didn't want him in the back of the car because, "he sat on my lap on the plane so another 30 mins will be fine".

Really? I've never seen a dog on a plane...is this allowed on any airline?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
plenty allow small dogs (I think under 8kg) in the cabin, usually in a cage though, so maybe she snuck it out.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by aceman
plenty allow small dogs (I think under 8kg) in the cabin, usually in a cage though, so maybe she snuck it out.
Well I've learned something new today.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Being t3 an AA (or any other us carrier at t3) flight arrival, service dog (different to a guide dog)? Seen it enough times on aa and definitely no cage. Supposed to be preapproved i believe, often are not. Woof.

Last edited by jcm9000; Aug 1, 2014 at 6:59 am
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by aceman
Yuk! Another thing to add to the list of seating preferences.

Last edited by SteveF; Aug 1, 2014 at 7:00 am
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You see this on US carriers all the time. Because of quarantine issues in the UK you get less dogs being schlepped back and forth, but you do see it occasionally. Usually they are better behaved than many others on board.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Indeed outside the UK, travelling with small dogs is fine. I'm often cheered up by seeing dogs in US airports.

Now if the this LHR T3 we have an interesting mystery: it cannot be an international arrival, due to rabies/ pet passport restrictions, which require them to be treated as air cargo and imported via the Animal Reception Centre by T4; and it can't a domestic arrival at T3 on a traditional carrier since all of them ban dogs in the cabin unless assistance. So this brings us to the outside chance that this was a VIP with her own aircraft as well as dog, who came in via one of the various T3 VIP entry channels having departed somewhere else in the Common Travel Area. Or someone very naughty. Or a hearing dog (etc) without its jacket. Or a working dog: One of the dogs I've bred now works in T3 sniffing out drugs.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You see this on US carriers all the time. Because of quarantine issues in the UK you get less dogs being schlepped back and forth, but you do see it occasionally. Usually they are better behaved than many others on board.
I hope it's fewer dogs rather than less dogs
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I hope it's fewer dogs rather than less dogs
You are correct! My (embarrassing) mistake!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thepointsguy has a dog called Miles which you might have seen he takes around the US on flights. Seems to be perfectly fine there if they are under a certain size - his is a French bulldog I think. How can seeing this happy little fellow not brighten your day?

My sister has a similarly small pug which would probably be suitable for travel - although my sister does seem to like dressing the pug up

Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
How can seeing this happy little fellow not brighten your day?
Quite easily if you don't particularly care for dogs. I wouldn't be too happy if I had to sit next to one on a flight without any option of moving seats.

Unless they are the companions of a person with a disability then I really think the hold is the place for all animals. And certain people. Oh and all kids (only joking on the last one).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveF
Quite easily if you don't particularly care for dogs. I wouldn't be too happy if I had to sit next to one on a flight without any option of moving seats.
Oh dear. You sound like a very miserable chap

Perhaps the dog wouldn't care much for you either
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We had a couple sitting in front of us on a EZE-CDG flight who had a small dog in a carrier. We didn't even notice it until a cabin crew member came to ask about its well being. I also recall seeing some passengers with small dogs airside at CPH as well.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...Or a working dog: One of the dogs I've bred now works in T3 sniffing out drugs.
Can you breed some more dogs to work as LGW baggage handlers? (I stole that joke from someone else).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:44 am

On a related note, I have quite a bad allergy to cats. I wouldn't be able to sit within a few seats of one for any length of time.

Presumably CC have to accommodate such issues should they arise?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.