Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pay It Forward -- as it relates to travel.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:14 am
Original Poster

I was reading stories about people Paying it Forward from paying the car ahead of you for their toll to buying a drink at Starbucks for the person ahead of you.

I have "Paid It Forward" by guesting a stranded passenger into the airline lounge. It did not cost me extra but the gesture went a long way.

On one flight I bought a drink and snackbox for a passenger seated next to me who was in tears because she lost her wallet. I told her at least you can enjoy an alcoholic beverage and something to eat to take your mind off your stress. She thanked me.

People have returned the favor. Once I was at the airport and this nice man paid for my lunch at one of the best restaurants. He said have anything you would like including drinks. Turns out he was an executive of a company and we were talking during a long delay . He wanted to do something nice. I was so appreciative and asked him if I could at least buy him something. He refused and we parted ways.

On another occasion I was in the Security Line and forgot all about my coffee since it was early in the morning. So I threw out my coffee. As soon as I came through security a Starbucks Barista who saw what happened said she would remake my drink since she knew how tired I was etc. So I followed her to the store and true to her word she not only made me another drink she upgraded it to a Venti Latte. She got a big tip. This was unprovoked.

I paid it forward when I saw an elderly male having trouble getting his suitcase down the escalator in the SFO International Terminal to his gate. I offered to take it down and he appreciated it. He asked could he at least give me $5 and I said "No I would do the same thing to my Grandfather without asking".

I want to know how did you"Pay It Forward" and also how did other travelers "Pay It Forward" For you.

I think its nice to help others in need.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: Too many
Pay It Forward

I would think in everyday life many people do good gestures without having to write them down or think about "what have I done for someone". That's just part of human nature and there are many fantastic people in this world.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Interesting, but it seems that good gestures are too linked to money and buying stuff in your story. I would prefer, both at the giving and receiving ends, for these acts of kindness to be non-financial. For example, I think that a sincere 'thank you' is preferable to a big tip.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:12 am

Pay It Forward

A highly interesting thread indeed. It's very heart warming to read about these PIF stories that happen on aircraft and airports.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Funny you ask, I just posted this on my facebook wall last night. I arrived at SMF prepared to take a connection to DEN to get home to IAH when I realized that the non-stop from earlier in the day was nearly 4 hours delayed, but it was in final boarding when I got to the airport. I was giddy and happy to be getting home hours early.

The flight was only half full and there was a there was a single mom with a 2 yr old from Victoria, BC on the flight and that little girl was exhausted/wimpering and her mom looked frazzled from trying to entertain her after the nearly 4 hr delay of the SMF-IAH and looked at her wit's end. I started talking to her and let her play some of the apps I had downloaded for my nephewon my ipad and learned that they were on there way to Puebla, Mexico and the UA agent couldn't get them there due to the delay so they put them on an Aeromexico flight to Mexico City tomorrow and told them they could take a bus to PBC. I asked to see the documentation the agent gave her and what her plans were. Her only plan was to go to customer service when they landed. Needless to say it all looked very sketchy and half done from what the SMF agent gave them.

When we landed in IAH I took them to the United Club where they got 4 food vouchers, a voucher for a night at the Hyatt, amenity kits, a sippy cup of milk for the night and the UC agent got them confirmed seats on the PBC flight tomorrow, which the Sacramento agent said was sold out for the next 3 days!

It took about 40 minutes of my evening, but that lady was so grateful for the help and the United club agents were angels.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Helping an elderly person with his or her suitcase is not Paying It Forward, it's just good manners. Not helping that person is downright rude and very poor behavior.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Helping an elderly person with his or her suitcase is not Paying It Forward, it's just good manners. Not helping that person is downright rude and very poor behavior.
Correct!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I usually try to help out people in case of IRROPS. We, frequent flyers, now what to expect, how to ask for it and how to find options for rebooking. But most other people don't and their travel plans can be messed up greatly by lazy/incompetent agents.

If I see someone struggling with it, I usually ask I they need help. I feel my parents would appreciate it if someone offered their help if they were in that situation.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On Sunday we were stuck on arrival in a de-icing bay while a wicked thunderstorm rocked the city (no ground crew allowed outside, so all we could do was wait for the storm to pass). The couple across the aisle were getting very agitated, and neither spoke English. Unfortunately the crew didn't speak either of the languages that they did, but I had some really quite shocking high school recollections of both, so gave a very basic, but understood translation between the couple and the stewardess about their onward connection. I'd like to think if I am stuck somewhere not speaking the language, someone would do the same for me.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
On Sunday we were stuck on arrival in a de-icing bay while a wicked thunderstorm rocked the city (no ground crew allowed outside, so all we could do was wait for the storm to pass). The couple across the aisle were getting very agitated, and neither spoke English. Unfortunately the crew didn't speak either of the languages that they did, but I had some really quite shocking high school recollections of both, so gave a very basic, but understood translation between the couple and the stewardess about their onward connection. I'd like to think if I am stuck somewhere not speaking the language, someone would do the same for me.
I did the same with two Israeli passengers who did not speak English. I translated from Hebrew to English(to the best of my ability) to the Flight Attendant as this was on a local puddle jumper. I also took them to the baggage claim at LAX and made sure they were on their way. The couple was very appreciative. Small world they happened to know my relatives in Israel so that made the experience more personal.

I love reading your "Pay It Forward" Stories. Please keep them coming.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 1, 2014 at 1:15 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Peon
My wife and I had landed in Sydney and got on a shuttle bus, paying the AUD$10 with funds I'd gotten before the trip.

A fellow traveler boarded right after us, but only had USD$ with him at that point. Since we had more than enough I covered his fare. He offered to give me USD$, but I just asked him to help someone out in the future as repayment.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:37 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I had someone pay for my train ticket in germany when i forget to account for cash before landing
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:57 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I can relate well to this thread.

I've served as an impromptu translator, tour guide and "luggage-wheeler" for many a perplexed traveler.

On the flip side, I've been invited to dine with various locals on many occasions. One of those times ended with me receiving a guide to Showa Era (Japan) Literature. Don't know how that happened...but yes, it was in Japan.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Agreed. I think the same probably applies to helping lost visitors to somewhere you know your way around.

Which I think leaves me with looking after a kid who'd fallen off his skateboard. I was on my way to work which sort of counts as travelling.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:22 pm

I remember an incident where I helped someone, and it ended up hurting me. I was flying back home, but had arrived early, and they overhead paged asking if someone spoke Chinese. There are different dialects, but it was Oakland Airport, and I guess they didn't know very much.
Anyway, since I had time, and these were pre-TSA days, it wasn't very hard to go back out and get back in, so I went to see what it was about. Happens there was a guy trying to get to Las Vegas, and didn't speak any English.

So I tried to help him get a ticket by asking at the counters. Ended up going with American, cause it was cheapest. He only had cash. They had no change. The lady was very rude and wanted to verify he had no change, and reached forward to grab his wallet, but I refused to let her do that. I ended up paying with some of my own money to get him to the proper amount.
And off he went, and off I went on my own way. Then Southwest gave me trouble for me missing my flight, but I told them to rebook me and they did (I had a refundable ticket anyway).

But I think (in the same vein as others have written) you help others not cause you want anything. It does make you feel good.
Recently there was an article about a lady who was helped by someone seated in the first-class cabin when she was struggling with her baby and all the associated equipment. She was thankful he gave up his comfort, his ability to get off first.
I think many times people, especially those on flyertalk (because many fly in the premium cabins), and myself, forget how to act like a genuine human being because we're so into getting out "premium" stuff.
This past week I helped someone getting the suitcase down (sometimes you have to go down steps outside, to board these small propeller planes. At least in Seattle you do). That felt good. And then when getting off my most recent flight there was a guy in business, who hadn't gotten out with the first bunch, and so was waiting for a gap in the passengers coming from economy. I let him in, and he flashed a grateful smile. Why shouldn't he get normal courtesy, just because he sat in business? Why is everybody in such a rush?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.