Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Trip Insurance - International Trip w/ recent Kidney Donor

Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

I have been trying to obtain Trip Insurance for a trip I am leading to Guatemala.
One of the people on the trip, donated a kidney approximately 6 weeks ago.
Obviously I'd like to have good trip insurance. My guess is the main concern would be medical extraction back to the US etc...

I've been searching on squaremouth.com and weeded out a bunch that didn't cover Pre-Existing conditions. I've been emailing different companies and they all say they would not cover a Kidney donor. (They say it's an 'Exclusion'.. even though I can't find it in their policies.)

Any recommendations?

PS - I'm not worried about trip cancelation etc... I have purchased the flights etc using the United Card.

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ection-new.htm

Travel Protection*
The MileagePlus Explorer Card provides you with comprehensive travel protection benefits that give you peace of mind while traveling near and far.
Baggage Delay Insurance
If you experience a baggage delay, you can be reimbursed for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing for baggage delays over 6 hours by passenger carrier up to $100 a day for 3 days.
Lost Luggage Reimbursement
If you or your immediate family members' checked or carry-on bags are damaged or lost by the carrier, you're covered up to $3,000 per passenger.
Trip Delay Reimbursement
If your common carrier travel is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay, you and your family are covered for unreimbursed expenses made with your MileagePlus Explorer Card, such as meals and lodging, up to $500 per ticket.
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance
If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses made with your MileagePlus Explorer Card, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.
Travel Accident Insurance
When you pay for your air, bus, train, or cruise transportation with your MileagePlus Explorer Card, you're covered for accidental death or dismemberment during your trip, from the moment you leave home until you return.
Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
Decline the rental company's collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your MileagePlus Explorer Card. Coverage is primary and is provided for theft and collision damage for most cars in the U.S. and abroad.

Last edited by caseynshan; Jul 31, 2014 at 7:45 pm Reason: added space for clarity
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres

Check out International Volunteer Card.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:57 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As trip and travel insurance are often discussed in the Travel Products forum, please follow the thread as it moves there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by twoner32
Check out International Volunteer Card.
It is triple the price of others, but maybe because it does cover some.

We will not pay for loss or expense caused by or
incurred resulting from a Pre-Existing Condition,
as defined in the plan, including death that results
therefrom. This Exclusion does not apply to benefits
under covered expenses for emergency medical
evacuation or repatriation of remains of the Medical
Protection coverage.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like the OP has booked everyone's ticket with his/her own United Card. If so, OP should read the T&C carefully as it might cover family members but not necessarily a more general group unless each ticket was paid with the United Card.

Unless OP has special knowledge, perhaps he/she shouldn't advise the kidney donor regarding travel medical insurance. He should insist that the person be covered, but finding or suggesting policies would seem to require specialized knowledge.

In fact, is it generally medically advisable for a recent kidney donor to undertake inessential travel to a third world country? Will the group go to isolated or rural areas where good competent medical care might not be available or where an emergency medical evacuation is likely to be delayed?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is tremendous advice. Each group member ought to be required to provide OP with proof of coverage, but OP should leave it to each group member to obtain the coverage which the individual believes he needs.

If something goes wrong, the financial consequences of a medical evacuation flight or lengthy hospitalization will fall on the individual, not OP.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Check MedJet Assist, which is just for evacuation. I have an annual policy which covers my husband and me. It's more or less the gold standard for evacuation insurance and is considered a membership rather than "insurance." After a previous experience with insufficient evacuation coverage, I am sold on MedJet Assist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.