Search

Renting a car with a debit card?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, EY, IHG

Hi,

I'm trying to reserve a car for a client (pro bono) who has only a debit card, no credit card. He is an infrequent traveler, this trip is to accompany his daughter as she leaves home for college. They will have too much luggage for bus transportation and shuttle is too expensive.

I located a rental agency (Thrifty) and location (BDL) that accept debit cards. I spoke to the rental agency customer service and they told me everything they know (they say), but it's not enough info, and they refuse to give me the phone number for the airport rental counter (actually they say there isn't one, but obviously that's not true).

Here's what I know:
- the debit card must be Visa or MC and connected to a bank checking account
- they will place a hold for the rental amount plus 15% (Visa debit cards) / greater of amount plus 15% or $350 (MC debit cards)
- they will do a credit check at the counter
- he must show r/t air ticket/itinerary

What I need to know:
- how is the credit check done and what are the criteria for declining the rental? The poor guy will be all the way across the US with no transportation and about 80 more miles to get to his destination, if they decline him.

After speaking with Thrifty, I suspect that as long he has bank-connected Visa / MC debit card with the proper funds available and has his air tickets to show, that's all they'll ask him for. But I can't send him across the country without knowing for sure.

I asked this in Travel Buzz because it really pertains to all car rental agencies that accept debit cards, apologies if it should go elsewhere.

Any advice, assistance, or input would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone with inside knowledge of how this works. They are a really nice family without a lot of cash and I would like to help them out. Thanks!

Last edited by flightexpert; Jul 28, 2014 at 2:53 pm Reason: punctuation; clarification
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Car rental agencies encounter much more risk, on average, from the small percentage of renters who don't have a credit card, and create hurdles and barriers to protect themselves.

Does this person have enough time to get a credit card in time for school season? Or are there circumstances preventing that?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry305
Car rental agencies encounter much more risk, on average, from the small percentage of renters who don't have a credit card, and create hurdles and barriers to protect themselves.
Yeah, that's for sure. I found this:

http://www.thrifty.com/car_rental_in...edit_card.aspx

(mislabeled as "car rental with credit card"), which states that they "will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry to ensure that you have the proper funds", which sounds like they don't do a full credit check. That, coupled with the fact that they won't disclose the criteria for rental denial, suggests that they just want to discourage people from using debit cards to rent because it is much easier for them to recover losses from credit cards.

But, I also saw another online source that said Thrifty requires an Equifax credit check, but I can't tell how old that info is.

Originally Posted by jerry305
Does this person have enough time to get a credit card in time for school season? Or are there circumstances preventing that?
My understanding is that there is no possibility of obtaining a credit card due to bad credit. His daughter has one, but she is 17 and doesn't have a driver's license. To my understanding, the credit is bad enough that if a check is done it will raise a red flag and possibly result in denial. That's why I'm trying to find out what type of "credit check" is really done.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by flightexpert
My understanding is that there is no possibility of obtaining a credit card due to bad credit. His daughter has one, but she is 17 and doesn't have a driver's license. To my understanding, the credit is bad enough that if a check is done it will raise a red flag and possibly result in denial. That's why I'm trying to find out what type of "credit check" is really done.
Secured credit card?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I rent from Hertz with my debit card all the time. It's a VISA debit card from my bank, nothing special. I've never had to do anything special when renting the car - in fact I've never even had to swipe the card in person.

Enterprise is the same story except they don't have the fast exit options that Hertz does so you do have to swipe the card - no one has ever said anything about it being a debit.

Any VISA or MasterCard debit card appears identically to a credit card as far as the rental car companies are concerned.

Last edited by Pinned; Jul 29, 2014 at 10:40 pm
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:04 pm
iff

Have you checked with Alamo? As far as I know, they don't put a hold on any funds and some of their locations do accept debit cards while some will even accept cash (best to call and verify, as the last time I talked with them these options seemed to vary by location). I prepaid my rental online with a low-limit credit card but am wondering whether online rental prepayment might also work with a debit card without any extra scrutiny.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:19 pm

Not sure about all states but Maryland consumer law requires rental car companies to accept debit card for reservation/payment with nothing more than a return travel reservation (plane/train/bus ticket or confirmation number) & valid drivers license. Maryland law also limits debit & credit card holds or pre-authorizations to $1.00 for all transactions (hotels, rental cars, gas stations, etc).

Doesn't apply specifically this situation but Maryland is far from a progressive state so I'm sure many others have this law as well.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:23 am

My sister works reservations at Enterprise, which also reserves for National and Alamo. They are told to disclose that they do not take debit cards. As others have said however, every company is different, and many have different policies depending on which counter you are at and in which state.

If the person you spoke to said there would be a credit check, believe them. That doesn't mean an agent won't do it if they are busy, or aren't following procedure. Just don't count on it.

Some of the others posting may have an account/history/status with a particular company or even one thru a business, and yes, you are treated differently. The easiest thing for your client would be to get a pre-paid credit card, they are open to just about anyone.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Not having a credit card today is a red flag to service provider as to why one does not have one in the first world.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:20 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
You really gotta get a credit card especially one with free rental insurance
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevmo314
Secured credit card?
I don't know where he banks. I will suggest it as an option. Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iff
Have you checked with Alamo? As far as I know, they don't put a hold on any funds and some of their locations do accept debit cards while some will even accept cash (best to call and verify, as the last time I talked with them these options seemed to vary by location). I prepaid my rental online with a low-limit credit card but am wondering whether online rental prepayment might also work with a debit card without any extra scrutiny.
Alamo might be the way to go - it doesn't look like they do a credit check with proof of return ticket. Thanks for the tip.

Found this: https://alamo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5503 (Alamo debit card policy)

Last edited by flightexpert; Jul 29, 2014 at 9:59 am Reason: added link to policy
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pinned
Any VISA or MasterCard debit card appears identically to a credit card as far as the rental carc ompanies are concerned.
I wondered how they could tell the difference. I have seen conflicting information about this online.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Larac
My sister works reservations at Enterprise, which also reserves for National and Alamo. They are told to disclose that they do not take debit cards. As others have said however, every company is different, and many have different policies depending on which counter you are at and in which state.

If the person you spoke to said there would be a credit check, believe them. That doesn't mean an agent won't do it if they are busy, or aren't following procedure. Just don't count on it.

Some of the others posting may have an account/history/status with a particular company or even one thru a business, and yes, you are treated differently. The easiest thing for your client would be to get a pre-paid credit card, they are open to just about anyone.
I think you are correct about everything. Thanks for the thoughtful answer.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
Not sure about all states but Maryland consumer law requires rental car companies to accept debit card for reservation/payment with nothing more than a return travel reservation (plane/train/bus ticket or confirmation number) & valid drivers license. Maryland law also limits debit & credit card holds or pre-authorizations to $1.00 for all transactions (hotels, rental cars, gas stations, etc).

Doesn't apply specifically this situation but Maryland is far from a progressive state so I'm sure many others have this law as well.
I think part of the problem might actually be the rental location (BDL). It seems there are extra hoops and hurdles at that location, and it's one place where most rental agencies won't rent to locals with a debit card.

Does anyone know if there is a similar law in CT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.