Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Renting a car with a debit card?

Renting a car with a debit card?

Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cubbie
They usually put a hold for something like $250 (for a weekend rental) on the card, and sometimes, but not always, have made us jump through other hoops, such as showing them a recent utility bill, supposedly to confirm our home address. Bit of a pain, scrambling to get a bunch of family members ready to go out of town and having the person who went to go pick up the rental car call from their office to say you have to get over here right now with a copy of a utility bill.

I asked, how is a person arriving at the airport supposed to know in advance to carry a utility bill with them? They said, airports are the only places we don't ask for that. So does that mean they trust airline passengers more or just flat-out don't rent to airline passengers who only have debit cards? I haven't yet had to try to find out.
Ex-Enterprise employee here so I can probably answer your questions. They do trust airline passengers more but require them not to show a utility bill, but copy of their flight itinerary. Local customers on a debit card are trusted less because of the propensity for people to do some or more of the following: (1) commit crimes with the car; (2) rent the car for someone else; (3) not return with the car. The utility bill is used to get proof of home address and also to try to deter such people. I worked there 2007-2008 and at least in Phoenix before they went the utility bill route there were stories of people totaling a $20,000 car or running off with it and closing their checking account so all ERAC had gotten was $250.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:26 pm

While on a trip to Tucson, AZ in the 1990s, I rented from Enterprise at a non-airport location. They required me to purchase additional insurance since I couldn't produce a copy of my auto insurance policy, this was not brought to my attention when booking the car. They refused to contact my insurance company to verify my coverage and were rather impertinent about it. Note I was not underage and I had several major credit cards.

I had been renting from Enterprise since the late 1970s, the Tucson experience was my last rental with them.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, EY, IHG
Originally Posted by cubbie
We use only debit cards (complicates life in some ways and simplifies it in others) and have rented cars from Enterprise occasionally at an office near home.

They usually put a hold for something like $250 (for a weekend rental) on the card, and sometimes, but not always, have made us jump through other hoops, such as showing them a recent utility bill, supposedly to confirm our home address. Bit of a pain, scrambling to get a bunch of family members ready to go out of town and having the person who went to go pick up the rental car call from their office to say you have to get over here right now with a copy of a utility bill.

I asked, how is a person arriving at the airport supposed to know in advance to carry a utility bill with them? They said, airports are the only places we don't ask for that. So does that mean they trust airline passengers more or just flat-out don't rent to airline passengers who only have debit cards? I haven't yet had to try to find out.
What I found out is that with proof of a return flight ticket, most agencies don't require proof of home address. I guess they assume if you're at the airport you'll have proof of those flights with you.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:03 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
IME, National has no problem with debit cards as long as you have proof of a return flight.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Going on the premise that no news is good news, I am assuming dad returned and they had no problems with the car rental. Thanks everyone for your input.

So, it looks like (from everyone's answers) that the best places to rent a car with a debit card with no hassles are:
- Alamo
- Enterprise
- Hertz
- National
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flightexpert
Going on the premise that no news is good news, I am assuming dad returned and they had no problems with the car rental. Thanks everyone for your input.

So, it looks like (from everyone's answers) that the best places to rent a car with a debit card with no hassles are:
- Alamo
- Enterprise
- Hertz
- National
I'd add Dollar to that list, I've never been hassled with them in a dozen or so rentals at a half dozen locations.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'd add Dollar to that list, I've never been hassled with them in a dozen or so rentals at a half dozen locations.
I'm sure it all depends on the location and the person working the counter when you pick up the car.

Dollar is owned by the same company as Thrifty and they also gave me the runaround on the phone. The language in their terms specifically says a credit check is required with debit card rental at a lot of locations. For those 2 reasons, I didn't include them, but maybe they are an option as well.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've known Dollar to allow car rentals with US debit cards at most of the 20 largest US airport locations and at some Manhattan locations -- mostly without issue as long as the card had enough funds (for the car rental total and a few hundred extra dollars). It may have helped if some insurance was taken or having proof of insurance. Dollar seemed the most customer-friendly to such situations, relative to the other major car rental brands. Enterprise was good too, but the data-set thinner.

Around these same areas, Alamo seemed to do much the same but more often wanted to see an out of state driver's license and/or airline ticket/itinerary.

Thrifty gave more issues.

Hertz was fine with it for people on negotiated specific corporate employer rates.

Lots of travelers in and/or from the "first world" OECD countries don't use credit cards or infrequently use credit cards for leisure trips outside their own country and default to using debit cards -- even people with no blemished credit histories.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 28, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: BA
I stick everything on my (UK issued) Visa debit card because I find it more convenient than messing about with having to remember to pay the credit card by a given date.

No problems anywhere renting cars or doing any other transaction from any of the major names anywhere.

Except with USA car rentals ........

As far as I am concerned, it's just a Visa card. But there seems to be some different perception in the US. Normally it's not a problem because the pre-paid rates available overseas from the major renters are far cheaper than what you get when you show up at a US counter, so that's the way to go. And if it's prepaid that way, there's no issue in the US. But if your plans change around and you go for a rental whilst over there, debit cards are treated as an abhorrence for some reason.

I've always felt it's to do with the automatic rental car insurance that US-issued credit cards (but no others) give when renting in the US (but nowhere else). There are rates for insurance for those of us from overseas when in the US, but they are generally ludicrously high, often more than the rental.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Most US credit cards don't include primary insurance for cars, but many do offer secondary insurance. Those with credit cards in the US are more likely to have personal car insurance and deeper pockets than those not having credit cards. This divergence is less extreme in other developed countries -- and that may be part of the explanation for the formulation of special policies against or involving debit cards (at least US-issued cards that obviously appear to be debit cards).

And yes, using foreign websites to book prepaid US car rentals -- with even a debit card -- may be a big money saver, including on insurance costs. But the car rental company may ask for a credit card still in some cases if showing up with US ID and a US-issued debit card.

Many a time I use the britishairways.com sites to book US car rentals, to save money and avoid hassles over the insurance costs. Even as I am an American with a US credit card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.