Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are air fares to Japan higher this year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I have been to Japan four times since 2005. However, this year the air fares seem excessive to Japan. I flown to India a few times too, and that was a more expensive ticket always till now. I am talking about the the US airlines - Delta, United and American. The following routes are all in Economy Class.

For example, a trip consisting of MSY-BKK (via NRT) and CCU-MSY costs around $1,400 on United around Thanksgiving time (late November/early December) this year. However, a trip consisting of MSY-NRT and OSA-MSY costs around $1,900. Coincidentally, a the same trip in reverse, OSA-MSY and MSY-NRT costs around $1,300 during the same time period.

Usually, the Japan fares were around $1200 when I visited Japan in Spring of 2013. I am wondering what has changed for the Japan airfares from USA to be higher this year.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Prices are higher now. Blame less competition due to airline mergers, cutbacks in capacity, and generally a better economy leading to more people traveling.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:07 pm

The airlines are really sending smoke signals to each other and making a fortune. It will only get worse until a startup comes along a causes a disruption. Think Southwest Airlines a long time ago or Norway start up that has all other airlines screaming unfair right now
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Also less nuclear radiation, typhoons, credit crunches and lost decades.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Huge revenue/capacity management means most flights are full and expensive.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I generally fly AC to Japan (handy since I live near YYX) and keep my eye on their prices. They have crept up to 1500-1600 and I am seeing 2200 and up for December, but every now and then they have a sale around $1200 or so.

I realize not that helpful considering where you are flying out of, but you definitely are correct..prices are on the upward climb.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Yet if book same flights to SIN via same NRT segments they are 60% the cost of NRT return (data 6 weeks old).
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Yet if book same flights to SIN via same NRT segments they are 60% the cost of NRT return (data 6 weeks old).
You are right, it is crazy. I just now did a MSY-NRT-SIN-NRT-MSY (via IAH), for late November, and United was the lowest at $1386. When I removed the NRT-SIN-NRT portion, the fare went up to $1750+.

It looks like flights from the USA to Japan and back are high for some reason. Can I buy the segment up to SIN and then not fly the SIN-NRT-SIN? will my ticket get cancelled if I don't fly that segment, and I won't be able to fly back on the same ticket from NRT to MSY?

Thank you.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:31 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
At some point this year i saw an airfare for $1000 from rdu so not sure how correct your statement is
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by Maji
Can I buy the segment up to SIN and then not fly the SIN-NRT-SIN? will my ticket get cancelled if I don't fly that segment, and I won't be able to fly back on the same ticket from NRT to MSY?

Thank you.
Your return will be canceled if you miss the middle segments.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You are right, it is crazy. I just now did a MSY-NRT-SIN-NRT-MSY (via IAH), for late November, and United was the lowest at $1386. When I removed the NRT-SIN-NRT portion, the fare went up to $1750+.

It looks like flights from the USA to Japan and back are high for some reason. Can I buy the segment up to SIN and then not fly the SIN-NRT-SIN? will my ticket get cancelled if I don't fly that segment, and I won't be able to fly back on the same ticket from NRT to MSY?

Thank you.
The remaining part of your ticket will be cancelled if you do not fly all segments as ticketed. It's called hidden city ticketing.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Can I buy the segment up to SIN and then not fly the SIN-NRT-SIN? will my ticket get cancelled if I don't fly that segment, and I won't be able to fly back on the same ticket from NRT to MSY?
Yes. But why not spend a day in Singapore if you can get a good price to SIN with a long stopover in NRT and a short stay in SIN?

I had a quick look with ITA for a stay in Japan the week before US Thanksgiving (1 week in Japan, overnight stay in Singapore) and it came up $300 cheaper than just an NRT stay on any airline, and $500 cheaper on United.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flatlander
Yes. But why not spend a day in Singapore if you can get a good price to SIN with a long stopover in NRT and a short stay in SIN?
Flying UA to SIN entails arriving at midnight and flying out at 6a, so you really need to factor in 2 nights hotel if you want to have an actual stopover. (I did a quick turn once in the early 2000s when it made sense for mileage accumulation purposes, but don't plan on doing so again.)
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I am just wondering why an extra two segments NRT-SIN-NRt is lowering the cost of the ticket. The cost of the ticket flying to Japan has risen than to other locations, imo. I am trying to figure out why.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Global Entry, 4MM, Lifetime AAdvantage Platinum
I've been wondering about those Japan airfares also. I have been going to Japan, at least 4 times a year, for the past 8 years. This year, I have not gone once, due to the high airfares. Last year, I paid $1593, $1341, $1558, and $1050. Before 2009, I paid less than $1000 and even got fares to Osaka and Nagoya (AA short-lived routes) for less than $500! This year, the fares are usually in the $1800 - $2500 range from MCI. I still have to go at least two times this year even if I have to pay the current price range.

Last edited by InPlaneSight; Jul 26, 2014 at 4:52 pm Reason: .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.