Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airports are the best and worst for availability of electrical outlets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond

Once again, an action repeated several times a week, is sitting on the floor in order to charge my phone at the airport. I understand that even a few years ago, not everyone had cell phones, but this borders on ridiculous. Right now I'm at CLT waiting for a ride.
Which us airports are better about this, and who are the worst???
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Term B at SJC has AC and USB outlets in almost every seat.
IND has charging outlets in some of the seats.
That's all I can think of. At most other airports, I try to do my charging in a lounge if I'm there for any length of time.

I know your pain. What's almost as bad are the very few "charging pods" at some airports, which are always 100% in use.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:32 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I am not sure why you are shocked. Considering most airports were built when we probably were carrying nothing that required charging at the airport, not surprised they did not build with all those extra outlets. Plus, I am sure now many of them do not want to pay for us to use their electricity.

I am surprised that they have not found a way to provide more units and make you pay to utilize the units. I have seen a few in some airports.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
None are very good. A few have installed banks of charging kiosks...a few others have those little towers with dongles hanging off of them.

A couple years ago, I started carrying external battery packs. This one has worked extremely well for me for almost a year now. Handles cell phones and tablets well. (Thankfully, I haven't needed to charge a laptop in an airport in a long time, although I know people who carry heavier battery packs for that purpose as well.)

I also seem to accumulate those very small charging sticks that are commonly given away and conferences and such. They look like this. (Note: they're worth about ten bucks max. The fact that Amazon lists this one as $70 and 70+% off is kind of a joke.) But the ones I've had fall apart quickly and don't seem to deliver the charge they are advertised to. Still, for a short trip I might just throw a couple of them in my bag since they are super-light.

In other words, I've liberated myself from airport power outlets. The situation is dire and I don't see it getting a whole lot better anytime soon.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Of course, the responsibility to ensure that electronics have sufficient "juice" ultimately falls on the individual traveler. I travel with a portable iGo charger so that I can charge the phone on the airplane if needed, and I chose my new cell phone based partially on the fact that it has an easily-swappable, removable battery. I also carry a small three-outlet extension so I can share a single outlet in a tight spot.

A few years ago, one airport (don't remember which one) threatened to issue citations to people caught using the wall outlets (used by the overnight cleaning crews), stating that it amounted to a theft of a municipal asset.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
LGW South has carefully removed all power sockets and only has ones that you now have to pay for. I consider that a proper [moderator edit] to passengers.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 25, 2014 at 8:49 am Reason: To comply with FT Rules re acceptable language.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I chose my new cell phone based partially on the fact that it has an easily-swappable, removable battery.
+1. My last couple phones have been Samsungs. The day I get a new one, I jump on eBay and order a couple extra batteries, usually for about US$3-4 each including slow-boat shipping from Hong Kong. Between the batteries and the external chargers I can go a few days of travel without a wall plug.

A few years ago, one airport (don't remember which one) threatened to issue citations to people caught using the wall outlets (used by the overnight cleaning crews), stating that it amounted to a theft of a municipal asset.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
LGW South has carefully removed all power sockets and only has ones that you now have to pay for. I consider that a proper f**k you to passengers.
Wow...even Philadelphia thinks that's unfriendly!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I am not sure if the airport in Pakse, Laos has electricity… so without electricity, not much need for outlets.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This is something that annoys me as well. The same at hotels.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:05 pm

-----

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:48 pm
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was amazed when flying out of PHF last week that they had a large number of chairs with outlets and USB ports built into them ^
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum

DL installed them all over ATL. There are many reasons to avoid ATL, but lack of power outlets isn't one of them.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Terminal B at BOS has more outlets and USB ports than people. This is on the United side. I haven't walked over to the US Air side much but I suspect it may be the same.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by nlkm9
Once again, an action repeated several times a week, is sitting on the floor in order to charge my phone at the airport. I understand that even a few years ago, not everyone had cell phones, but this borders on ridiculous. Right now I'm at CLT waiting for a ride.
Which us airports are better about this, and who are the worst???
Just curious - do you plan to adjust your flying plans based on the answers to your question?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remember terminal 2 at SFO having copious amounts of charging points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.