Reload this Page >

CX 77W or AF 388 Economy?

Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints, Qantas FF

Hi all,

I'm flying to Europe/UK in October from NZ. Plans are to fly CDG and return from LHR and must make a stopover at HKG to see family. I have two quotes with almost identical fares, with CX on 77W and AF on 388 from HKG to Europe. Which one would I get better service?

I will probably never get to fly AF again as I live on the other side of the world and Europe is like "trip of the lifetime" for me, but it's a very different story for CX as I fly on them quite a lot.

FF wise I'm a member of both Air NZ and Qantas but not a FF member of any Skyteam airline, as I don't see any need to join as none flies domestically in NZ.

Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I'd probably go on the A380 since I haven't flown one yet.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: DL-PM, HHonors-Silver, Marriott-Gold
CX of course. Better food and service
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
The AF A380 will feel more spacious in Y than the CX 77W, but collecting some tier miles for Qantas via CX on a relatively long flight might outweigh that.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
If possible, it may be cheaper to fly into LHR and then out of CDG.

My experience on the AF A388 has been pretty good, even in Y...although it is a lot of people.

Another consideration - the A388 is 3-4-3 and the 773 is 3-3-3, so fewer middle seats.

If possible, I suggest looking at premium economy fares on AF; they can be a good deal at times.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints, Qantas FF

Thanks guys, I agree that CX is probably a wee better for service, and I could get FF points with my Qantas FF member (I'm a very frequent flyer in NZ domestically but not internationally), but AF has always been a little mysterious for me and I'm keen to try it this time.

Update: the quote for AF is in fact NZ$280 cheaper, it's a lot of money that gets two nights accommodation just for one person. I'm thinking should I get the AF deal instead?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by nzworldtraveller1
Thanks guys, I agree that CX is probably a wee better for service, and I could get FF points with my Qantas FF member (I'm a very frequent flyer in NZ domestically but not internationally), but AF has always been a little mysterious for me and I'm keen to try it this time.

Update: the quote for AF is in fact NZ$280 cheaper, it's a lot of money that gets two nights accommodation just for one person. I'm thinking should I get the AF deal instead?
Go for the 388 and try and get the economy section on the upper deck. You're going to need to call the airline or get to the airport early for that. As for service it's good but not obsequious like many of the Asian airlines are. It's the comparable to the old Qantas for service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.