Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does travel insurance or life insurance cover you when you're shot down or sunk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does travel insurance or life insurance cover you when you're shot down or sunk?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

(Note, please do NOT discuss the MH17 incident... my question was inspired by that tragedy, but this thread is strictly limited to what my question says. Thank you.)

Does travel accidental death insurance or life insurance cover you when you're a tourist flying on a civilian commercial airliner or cruise ship and gets shot down or sunk when flying or sailing in a war zone? (either declared or undeclared war or any type of state-sponsored military or state-sponsored terrorist action)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Acts of war are usually excluded, but YMMV.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
That's why I'm confused. I can understand it for travel accidental policies, but apparently my own whole-life insurance policy also excludes war and terrorism. So I've been paying my premiums for the last 15+ years for nothing?(if I'm like one of the unfortunate ones on MH17?)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never seen insurance that doesn't exclude war. They also usually define the detonation of a nuclear device as an act of war no matter what the reason.

It's understandable--they're not interested in paying out a massive number of claims at one time.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
My partner's daughter is on her first big trip to the states for a month. She excitedly told me what her travel insurance covered. I said look at it again and read the fine print. You'll find that you are not covered for all the stuff you think as there is always some exemption clause.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
People who scoff at documents as containing "fine print" can pick up a pair of cheap reading glasses and then read the document. There is no excuse for not reading these things and knowing what is and what is not covered and under what circumstances.

It is also important to know what you need. In the US, medical expenses are payable by the patient on the spot. If you have appropriate billable insurance, most providers will bill that insurance so the patient does not actually lay out and then recover the cash. But, it is always the patient's responsibility to pay. That makes policies for travel to the US both different and more critical.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg
That's why I'm confused. I can understand it for travel accidental policies, but apparently my own whole-life insurance policy also excludes war and terrorism. So I've been paying my premiums for the last 15+ years for nothing?(if I'm like one of the unfortunate ones on MH17?)
Your estate would have to sue Vlad the Impaler.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:12 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg
Your biggest problem may be that you have whole life insurance vs. term with regard to cost
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
That's correct.

Although OP said that it was not about MH17, it may be a "good" example.

In The Netherlands (most victims are Dutch) the "Verbond van Verzekeraars" (union of insurance companies) declared that, although this was almost certainly molest (war risk) - in which case they didn't have to pay - they decided to act in this case that it was an accident, so claims are to be paid.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Life insurance policies nowadays aren't excluding acts of war nearly as often as they used to.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:02 am

War is not typically covered by travel insurance policies, and that includes acts of war in countries that are deemed to be “safe” as well as in risky countries. Of course, if you are traveling to a country where there is a government warning against travel to the area then you will also not get much help from travel insurance. The best thing to do is to read the policy very carefully and ask questions beforehand so you know exactly what is covered and there are no surprises. As you are unlikely to be a victim of an act of terrorism or war while on vacation, travel insurance is still an essential purchase.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
My life insurance does not exclude acts of war, except if I'm involved as a combatant.

All of the trip insurance policies I've purchased have excluded acts of war.

But as always YMMV depending on the policy terms.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a difference between acts of war and acts of terrorism, and some travel policies exclude both, some only exclude war (declared and undeclared). That said, I wouldn't want to have to administer the estate through a lengthy court battle as to whether something was an act of terror or an act of undeclared war.

Life insurance is more likely to cover both war and terrorism, I believe mine covers both.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
I just checked both my term-life and travel insurance. Both do cover war & terrorism. But like I said in another tread, maybe this is due to local financial regulations and requirements.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:27 am

How old is your insurance policy? Or are you not in the US? The act of war exclusion hasn't been a standard part of life insurance policies in ~40 years. This is for policies issued in the US.

A while back when I was an investment adviser, we had to take periodic insurance classes and from what I remember, all claims from 9/11 were paid out even though technically that could have been deemed an "act of war". And I remember that if someone was a soldier and deployed to a war zone, their life insurance would be suspended. But I can't remember any clauses excluding payouts to civilians who just happen to be wrong place/wrong time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.