Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does travel insurance or life insurance cover you when you're shot down or sunk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does travel insurance or life insurance cover you when you're shot down or sunk?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Often1
People who scoff at documents as containing "fine print" can pick up a pair of cheap reading glasses and then read the document. There is no excuse for not reading these things and knowing what is and what is not covered and under what circumstances.
While I agree with this in principle, there is also the challenge of understanding the 'fine print'. Fine print is there for legal purposes, not marketing. Consequently, its language can be very difficult to understand for the lay person, especially one with limited education. I think the courts and the legislatures could do more to protect unequal parties to a transaction by requiring the use of plain language in consumer contracts, such as the purchase of airline tickets, insurance, and the like.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg
That's why I'm confused. I can understand it for travel accidental policies, but apparently my own whole-life insurance policy also excludes war and terrorism. So I've been paying my premiums for the last 15+ years for nothing?(if I'm like one of the unfortunate ones on MH17?)
The last statement is definitely true. Whole Life is a scam and about the worst investment you could ever make.

In the meantime, life insurance covers more than just dying on a plane. Term life is great and absolutely necessary if you have a family.

MH17 passengers lose out, insurance wise. I haven't heard how passengers of MH370 have fared with insurance companies. No proof of terrorism. But also no proof of death. I'm betting those families are going to be fighting with their insurance companies for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.